Hi UG.

So, barre chords. I've used them for years, but I've realised mine are crap. The E shape barre chord, for me, always results in the B string note (whatever it is) to be muted, and no matter what I try, it won't sound.
It isn't a case of "keep practicing", as I'd be practicing the wrong thing. I need help please?
Quote by strat0blaster
HA!

Well played, my friend.

I'm going to edit that awful grammar right now

Yay, I'm sigged!!
And a grammar nazi..
Well, you don't have to barre the notes you don't play, so in your case the A-D-G string I presume ? Or you playing acoutic, 'cause they can be a bitch, but for the rest... practicing
try barring all six strings with one finger. when you can make each note sound out cleanly, then your barre is good enough to be assisted by your other fingers.
Well that's the thing, I want to hear the B string.

See, my thought process is, I'm trying to learn Little Wing. A LOT of that requires some barring, but if I can't play simple barre chords, how am I supposed to progress?
Quote by strat0blaster
HA!

Well played, my friend.

Yay, I'm sigged!!
And a grammar nazi..
try moving your index your finger around and experimenting positions, all while keeping your other three fretting fingers in place. and yeah, you don't have to barre the a d or g strings.
With the E-shapes, when you have your index finger, barre the chord by putting your index finger on it's side.

Bite your finger. If you bite the front and back of it, the palm-side is fatty. Your B string is probably muted because the string is just underneath the "fat", and not actually pressed down. Now bite the sides of your finger. It's boney, and if you barre a chord using the side, it shouldn't mute.

If you are doing it like this and it's still muted, try practicing just trying to barre one fret on every string (without the 5th) until you can get every single string to come out without anything being muted. When you got that down, add the ring and pinky (5th and octave of root), and see if you got that with nothing being muted. Then try to complete the shape without anything being muted

Took me awhile to do a real barre chord because I didn't know that you had to use the side of the finger

And practice acoustic stuff, as well. Playing Nirvana with my friends made my barre chords come out the exact way I always wanted them to
Last edited by The Shroom420 at Dec 13, 2009,
I'm in the same boat as you. Barre chords are my worst enemy. And I play acoustic, so I REALLY have to build up a lot of strength. I think I put them off for too long.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
On public transport I furiously masturbate while trying to make eye contact with as many people as possible for as long as possible.
I just can't make it work.

The problem I have with it, on top of simply not having the technique, is the fact that, because it seems like such a simple thing to do, and I can't do it, it's properly making me feel very beginner-ish, when I've been playing for years now.
Quote by strat0blaster
HA!

Well played, my friend.

Yay, I'm sigged!!
And a grammar nazi..
Quote by i_don't_know
Barre chords are my worst enemy.

To give you a sports analogy, barre chords are like when the other team has a really great player and you hate him because he always kills your team. Then as soon as he's traded to your team you love him.

Once you get comfortable with them they will go from worst enemy to a very helpful friend.
Quote by jsepguitar
To give you a sports analogy, barre chords are like when the other team has a really great player and you hate him because he always kills your team. Then as soon as he's traded to your team you love him.

Once you get comfortable with them they will go from worst enemy to a very helpful friend.

Listen to this. It doesn't matter how long they take you to learn them. Barre chords are very useful and essential if you want to get good.
I got the hand of barre chords after a month or so of trying (really). Just don't get discouraged and keep practicing. Remember posture is far more important than the pressure you apply. You should read Freepower's Guide To All Techniques, where it explains how to properly play barre chords. Good luck
I always found that barring is much easier on LPs, SGs and thinner necked guitars also with strings that "match up". Like if you use half a pack of .12s and half a pack of .9s it feels weird too.

In the end it all comes down to technique, it's always possible.