Hello good people of UG!!

I need some advice from all you experienced bassists out there... I've been playing bass for about a year now, and I've gotten pretty decent at it, but lately i've gotten more interested into the slap-pop. So, I've been wondering.. What are some good exercises to make my accuracy, and technique better.

I've already got down the man riff from Higher Ground, but that's really not all that hard.
Any advice would be wonderful!

Thanks in advance.
Adapt some drum rudiments- instead of left/right, use slap/pop

For example, a paradiddle is:

RLRRLRLLRLRRLRLL in straight 16ths.

So, do:

SPSSPSPPSPSSPSPP (S= slap, P=pop) in straight 16ths. Start slow, and work up. Mix up the intervals. Use other rudiments, so you can work on differing rhythms and note durations.
yeah, i played the little Higher Ground thingy for like an hour or so till i got it perfectly right, and it's like 5 notes, so that was exciting

Any advice on getting my technique 'right'?
Delirium, what notes/strings should i do that on??

and sorry for being stupid, but what is a rudiment? Sorry

thanks for the advice, though!
Quote by hellbasser
Delirium, what notes/strings should i do that on??

and sorry for being stupid, but what is a rudiment? Sorry

thanks for the advice, though!

A rudiment is a drum term, they're certain techniques. They're to drums as slap and pop and tapping are to bass, if that makes sense.

It doesn't matter what strings or notes you play them on, it's the rhythm of it that's important. Try doing it with just dead notes at first to get a feel for it, then apply it to riffs you can play or just rub some funk on it and improvise.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
oh, and how do i use these rudiments??

ohh okay, thanks. So just stat off slow with that 16th note pattern, and then gradually work up, and then when i get it up to 16th note speed, put some notes in there, and make up some riffs?? would that be a good way to start?

oh, and thank you very much
As I said, find some rudiments- you'll find them on almost every drum theory site on the internet. These will be shown as rhythm slashes or as standard notation, with the hand noted under or above the note (left or right). Simply replace left and right with slap and pop.
ohhhhhh I get it!! So you want me to use the drum rhythms and transfer them into slap/pops! right?
Would this also work with normal drum sheet music? Because I have a lot of drummers in my school band, and could I use some of their rhythms to practice my slap/pop?
Quote by hellbasser
ohhhhhh I get it!! So you want me to use the drum rhythms and transfer them into slap/pops! right?
Would this also work with normal drum sheet music? Because I have a lot of drummers in my school band, and could I use some of their rhythms to practice my slap/pop?

Yeah, just follow the basic rhyhtm of the drum beat, playing on the accented beats,etc. It's a good way to practice, and it's also a helluva good way to lock in with a drummer.
Quote by skater dan0
ohh wow, that sounds like fun, actually!!
So I can just borrow my drummer's music and play his rhythm on my bass as practice, right?
Yeah, go ahead. Don't try and follow the rhythm exact, play around with it a bit so if you play it with a drummer it doesn't all mold into one, undecipherable noise.
Quote by skater dan0
Well there's a number of ways you can go about it-

1) Use rudiments- these are just snare sticking exercises

2) Use your friend's rhythms and just use the rhythm- assume everything is on the snare, even if it isn't, so it becomes a rudiment, remembering to ask him to assign left and right hand to each note. Reassign left/right to slap/pop. This will get you popping on the lower strings and slapping on the higher strings every now and again, giving you the ability to use both techniques across the strings.

3) Assign every part of your friend's kit to a note or string, write out friend's rhythms, substituting each part of the kit with the note or string. Remembering to have friend assign left or right to each sticked note, and assign whatever to the bass drum. Reassign left/right to slap/pop.
Quote by fleajr_1412
Yeah, go ahead. Don't try and follow the rhythm exact, play around with it a bit so if you play it with a drummer it doesn't all mold into one, undecipherable noise.

haha yeah, I'll try this out tomorrow! thanks man, that really helped
Quote by hellbasser
haha yeah, I'll try this out tomorrow! thanks man, that really helped

No problem, always happy to help
Quote by skater dan0
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Well there's a number of ways you can go about it-

1) Use rudiments- these are just snare sticking exercises

2) Use your friend's rhythms and just use the rhythm- assume everything is on the snare, even if it isn't, so it becomes a rudiment, remembering to ask him to assign left and right hand to each note. Reassign left/right to slap/pop. This will get you popping on the lower strings and slapping on the higher strings every now and again, giving you the ability to use both techniques across the strings.

3) Assign every part of your friend's kit to a note or string, write out friend's rhythms, substituting each part of the kit with the note or string. Remembering to have friend assign left or right to each sticked note, and assign whatever to the bass drum. Reassign left/right to slap/pop.

wait, I don't think i fully understand this. Do you mean like put snare as E, Hi-Hat as A, crash as D, and so on? not exactly like that, but some variation of that??
ohhh okay, so basically, start out with just doing the rudiments, then when i get better, move on to steps 2, and 3....

oh, and for step 2, do you mean like if he has 1e+a2+3e+a4+ (idk if you get what im saying)
is it 1e+a2+3e+a4+??
SSPSSPSSPSSP
You can do 1 2 or 3 whenever you want. For the second approach, it's simply taking his drum notation and "flattening it down" as if it was all done on the snare, just like a rudiment. So for example, in sixteenths:

C           xr     x
T          x r    x
S   x        r  x
B x  x x     rx

with say, crash and tom assigned left and snare/bass drum assigned right (r=rest) would become:

xxxxxxrxxxx

RRRRLLrRRLL
Ohhh okay, that makes a lot more sense!! Just one more thing. What do you mean by left and right??
Rudiments are not only split into rhythm, but into left and right hand, so for a single paradiddle, you stick RLRRLRLLRLRRLRLL- two alternating sticks followed by a diddle (two sticks from the same hand in a row)- RLRR, which is then itself alternated. You take these lefts and rights, and reassign as slaps and pops.
ohhh okay, wow this seems like really good, fun practice! Thanks you soo much man!
oh hey, also, are these also good for practicing my accuracy on slapping the A, D, and G strings? because this is going very very slow for me at the moment.
There are 40 Rudiments that we drummers use for sticking practice. Some of them I wouldn’t imagine translate overly well to slap-pop practice (flams, ruffs, drags etc).

Diddles and rolls however, I’d imagine would be great

*Bracketed parts are triplets

Single Roll
RLRL RLRL RLRL RLRL

Double Roll
RRLL RRLL RRLL RRLL

4 Stroke Roll
(RLR)L (RLR)L
(LRL)R (LRL)R

Triple Stroke Roll
(RRR) (LLL) (RRR) (LLL)

Single Paradiddle
RLRR LRLL RLRR LRLL
RRLR LLRL RRLR LLRL
RLLR LRRL RLLR LRRL

Double Paradiddle
RLRLRR LRLRLL

Triple Paradiddle
RLRLRLRR LRLRLRLL

So I guess just substitute Slap for Right and Pop for Left and you’ve got yourself a few exercises

Edit.
To keep it interesting try mixing them up

RLRR LRLL RRLL LLRR
RLRL RRLR LRLR LLRL
RLRL LRLR RRLL LLRR

and so on
Last edited by Jaksar at Dec 13, 2009,