I recently got an MI Audio Crunch Box which sounds great and has all the rock crunch I need. Now I'm looking for something that is softer to compliment it. The CB has the crunchy tone with lots of sustain taken care of. Now I'm looking for more of a light overdrive for indie and soft/rock or blues kind of sounds. Any suggestions? I can get used so yeah. I'm currently looking at the Boss Blues Driver and a few budget overdrives (I'd like to keep it around $50-60 so used is looking good).
Last edited by sg4ever at Dec 13, 2009,
Artec Blues overdrive.

I got one for 30 bucks B-stock normally its 40, its a great pedal for low gain tones.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
why not just roll the volume back on your guitar when using the crunch box
Rothwell Hellbender.

I recommend it way too many times.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by al112987
why not just roll the volume back on your guitar when using the crunch box

I don't like how the CB cleans up so well. It sounds too dark and not bright enough. I'm looking for a warm, light overdrive with a bit of brightness in it (not piercing).
tube screamer
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by sg4ever
I don't like how the CB cleans up so well. It sounds too dark and not bright enough. I'm looking for a warm, light overdrive with a bit of brightness in it (not piercing).

i used a ds-1 for awhile till it caught on fire, but i was able to caux a few nice crunch tones from it, mainly just a bit of grit and dirt.

if you go ds-1 i get a modded one, the stock ones are way to trebely once tone goes past 12 0'clock.
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Quote by westdyolf
i used a ds-1 for awhile till it caught on fire, but i was able to caux a few nice crunch tones from it, mainly just a bit of grit and dirt.

if you go ds-1 i get a modded one, the stock ones are way to trebely once tone goes past 12 0'clock.

Not a fan of the ds-1 and the modded one is more than I need. Just a lighter overdrive to contrast with the thick and crunchy Crunch Box will suffice. I'll have to check some of those other suggestions out. Tubescreamer seems obvious and I would like one, but I just can't find in the range I'd prefer to pay. The blues driver is a bit better if bought used and there is the option of modding it later. How about Danelectro? I've looked at some of the Cool Cat stuff including the transparent od and the drive but they aren't available in my local stores. I haven't been able to get very helpful responses about them.
Last edited by sg4ever at Dec 13, 2009,
It sounds like you want a Vox Brit boost, this is an amazing pedal by the way if your looking for that half crackle plexi sound. You should try one out on your amp first though because overdrive sound varies alot with different tube amps. That is the cheapest route to go. A more expensive one is the menatone working man's overdrive. This one is a SS overdrive with analog circutry, it's cool also. Then there's the Behringer VT-999 which is a tube overdrive with a full eq in a metal box with a noise gate and threshold. I actually have one of these I mean it was only 70 bucks new. But for what you get it's great.

Hope that helped ya out
Oh the behringer is on ebay for 58 bucks
I have the danelectro ccol cat drive, very nice overdrive on itw own. I have the V1 the V2 is slightly different. Can do low gain sounds very well.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
There's a very nice MXR pedal (Classic Distortion was the name, I think) you can get for $40 at Guitar Center. A used Ibanez TS9 should work as well.
Quote by sg4ever

what version of the crunch box do you have? V3 has internal presence control which you use witht a screwdriver.
Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends

........that would be me
Bad Monkey
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
Stephenson Fix My Duck
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Fulltone OCD?
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
just get a ts-9. almost all OD's are a copy of it anyways.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
apparently the MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive complenments the Crunch Box very well. It might be a good idea to check that one out.
Whoa, so many different pedals.

But definitely try the BB Preamp. It's so transperant and smooth sounding, and it cleans up pretty well too.
Fender Highway 1 Strat
Agile Septor Pro 725

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Axe-Fx Ultra

Trust me, I'm a medical student