After I get my new guitar, I plan on using my electricoustic to play Thrice and Kyuss songs which are in Drop C and C standard. I have tried doing this before on my regular strings on my guitar, but they're all floppy and whatnot (inb4penispuns) what gauge of string would be good for this?
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by Banana Wedgie
11-52 or 12-54, I'd say.

Man, I've rarely come across C Standard LOL.

There's not a whole lot of bands that use it. Kyuss, QOTSA, Sleep, and originally done by Tony Iommi, but in C#.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
i find 10 guage to be enough, though 11 would probably be better if you're staying in drop C. 10 guage is good if you're going between tunings like i tend to.
budget, I'd be staying in Drop C and/or C tuning.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Quote by AWACS
budget, I'd be staying in Drop C and/or C tuning.

mmkay, go for 11 then, though guitar strings are cheap, so you can experiment a bit. I used skinny top heavy bottom ernie balls for a while, and then went to 10 guage zakk wylde dunlops and they felt SO nice because they weren't as tight.
.10-.52 or Drop C, .11-.52 for C Standard.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
i have a guitar in B-standard/drop A and its got 12 guage and its fine. And i disagree many bands play in C-Standard, but there metal. i guess you guys are talking about Acoustic/Rock and stuff like that.
Quote by zoomzoom
i have a guitar in B-standard/drop A and its got 12 guage and its fine. And i disagree many bands play in C-Standard, but there metal. i guess you guys are talking about Acoustic/Rock and stuff like that.

Dude, I listen to anything from t3h br00tz of grindcore and tech death metal down to thrash and down to various hardcore and pop punk.

I have seen the tunings of thousands of brutal thrash to death metal songs in Drop C, but not one in C standard.
^I was going to say 12-56 too.

Guys, C Standard is really low. You're not going get a decent sound with anything under 50. I used 12-56's (Ernie Ball Not Even Slinky) to go from Drop A (basically a half-step below C Standard) to Drop C. They will be perfect.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by Banana Wedgie
Dude, I listen to anything from t3h br00tz of grindcore and tech death metal down to thrash and down to various hardcore and pop punk.

I have seen the tunings of thousands of brutal thrash to death metal songs in Drop C, but not one in C standard.

Dark Tranquillity, In Flames, Arch Enemy, Wintersun, Dream Theater, Between the Buried and Me(C#) have used C standard
Gear:
Ernie Ball MusicMan JP7
Schecter Hellraiser 006
Mesa Boogie Road King s.2
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Recto cab

Ibanez Keeley TS-9
TC Electronics G-Force
Amp Gizmo
Voodoo Labs GCX
Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro
Also, all of Kyuss' material is in C standard, which I have said before. Would there be a "best brand" for strings, or kinda experiment? (now a stupid question now that I think of it.)
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Quote by AWACS
Also, all of Kyuss' material is in C standard, which I have said before. Would there be a "best brand" for strings, or kinda experiment? (now a stupid question now that I think of it.)

Like I said, I would personally use Ernie Ball Not Even Slinky's, (12-56), but you could buy a couple different gauges and switch them around. If you string them right, then you can put them back on after you take them off. (If you don't cut them obviously .)
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29

Like I said, I would personally use Ernie Ball Not Even Slinky's, (12-56), but you could buy a couple different gauges and switch them around. If you string them right, then you can put them back on after you take them off. (If you don't cut them obviously .)

Sneaky sneaky. I like how you think.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
I use different brands but I always try to find a set with light tops and heavy bottoms IE 10-60 usually 10 13 17 like normal for the high strings and then 36 (48, 50 or 52) 60

Brendon small (Dethklok) uses 10-60 one of of his guitars (the other he uses 13-60 with a wound G) and most Dethklok songs are in C-standard

Its all about preference but i find that the 10s stand up to C without being floppy and they make bending and such during soloing ridiculously easy
I use 13-58 for drop b...almost identical to C standard. Tight, stable feel and no fret buzz. I like my strings with a higher tension b/c I don't bend too much over 1/2 a step. If you like a looser feel I'd go with 12 -52 or something like that. I've found that anything less than a 12 on the high E sounds very thin and really sloppy to work with with low tunings.
I just changed the strings on my cheapest guitar (Kaguya, see sig) to .012s to down-tune to Drop C. I set her up completely and got the truss rod as tight as it goes, but she still didn't seem like she could take the tension, so I down-tuned to Drop B. Now the tension feels more natural... like standard E/Drop D with .010s. I'll use .011s next time.

Basically, see if your guitar can take it, and choose according to how hard/soft you want the string tension to feel. IMO, tho, .011 would be the "middle ground" gauge for D-tuning/Drop C.
Kaguya: Ibanez GRX20 - Coil-split handwound Humbuckers
Isabelle: Fender 50's Road Worn Strat signed by AutoVaughn
Selene: Ibanez RG2EX1
Blackstar HT-5
Last edited by Lekz at Dec 17, 2009,
I think 11's are too floppy in dropped C. Although, I use 11's for standard. I think 12's would be better for dropped c