Page 1 of 2
First off, I wasn't sure where to put this, so if in the wrong forum, can a mod plz move it. ty.

My step-mom says I will never be successful playing thrash/heavy metal (Metallica, Slayer, and Iron Maiden). She also says
Nobody knows Iron Maiden.
and
It's not melodic. It has no tune

In her opinion, I should play The Beatles or Van Morrison (I despise both).

She also says she raised me wrong by not forcing me to listen to The Beatles.

Anyone know any songs that I could play that would fool her into thinking I was playing something she liked?
Last edited by poopnate at Dec 13, 2009,
Its good to know a range of genres, but if you're good at metal like really good, you can go to the top.
Quote by 36mikeyb36
Snap the cun.t's neck.
Unfortunately, that's not an option.
Last edited by poopnate at Dec 13, 2009,
Quote by poopnate
Anyone know any songs that I could play that would fool her into thinking I was playing something she liked?

Why would you do this?
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Well, obviously enough she's wrong about Iron Maiden being unknown and un-melodic, but let's be realistic here, she probably is right about you never being successful playing that sort of stuff.

Do it for the passion, not the success.
Quote by Kevy Absolution
Why would you do this?
If she doesn't know what it is, she will think I am playing what she suggest (I could care less about what she actually suggests)
pffft just ignore her
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
Oh please. 99% of the adults I know tell me what I hear is noise. I don't give a damn.

By the way, how can you fool someone you're playing something they like? Either they like what you're playing or they don't, I guess
Revelations by Iron Maiden is melodic. Play some smooth stuff maybe?
Je parle français, excusez mon language inaproprié quand je m'exprime en anglais.

Quote by Rocketface2112
pffft just ignore her
I can't, she always asks me to play for her, then yells at me if I say no or play what I've been learning for the past week.
Quote by poopnate
If she doesn't know what it is, she will think I am playing what she suggest (I could care less about what she actually suggests)

Then...why again are you trying to fool her into thinking you're playing what she wants?
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Quote by Rocketface2112
pffft just ignore her

i was just about to say that. also , your about 14 im guessing, so your not going to know where your going yet in life lol.
Quote by Suffrin
I've never heard of it. But Ironically, my highschool sports teams were known as the Logan Berries.

Minecraft Name : Selibucaz2
Quote by Operator (CA)
Revelations by Iron Maiden is melodic. Play some smooth stuff maybe?
She was fine with Losfer Words, until she figured out it was by IM. I'll try Revelations
Well she clearly knows nothing about music so i'd just use this fact against her and carry on playing whatever you want to play.
Quote by poopnate
I can't, she always asks me to play for her, then yells at me if I say no or play what I've been learning for the past week.

Oh.
Well, I'd say: keep playing your stuff. She'll either get tired of listening to it or understand that you have different likes and respect that.

Quote by poopnate
She was fine with Losfer Words, until she figured out it was by IM. I'll try Revelations

What?!
Last edited by PnT at Dec 13, 2009,
It dosen`t matter what she thinks anybody who can play maidens music well is a good musician. So just play what u want, do it because you love it.
Quote by PnT
By the way, how can you fool someone you're playing something they like? Either they like what you're playing or they don't, I guess
It's not that she hates what I'm playing, she actually enjoys it until I tell her what
song it is and who it's by. It's like a little kid with unknown food. They taste it, find that they like it, then, when there parents tell them it's something they thought they hated, they pretend they never liked it.
Quote by poopnate
She was fine with Losfer Words, until she figured out it was by IM.

so she liked it till she found it it was by iron maiden, sounds like shes being a bitch. She should be more open minded, if she liked one song she might like another!
Ibanez GRX40 - modified

Transformice
seeing that you despise the Beatles, I simply cannot take your opinion about music seriously.
Quote by The Horror!
I can't take anyone named "poopnate" seriously
That's weird, because I got the name from Poop Cola on Invader Zim. (Your Avatar)
play a beatles song and say its iron maiden and see what happens
Ibanez GRX40 - modified

Transformice
Quote by Rocketface2112
play a beatles song and say its iron maiden and see what happens
She knows every Beatles song by heart, she'll know when if I try to pass it off as IM.
Quote by drunkinminer
Why not learn sometings she'll like and stop your bitchin
Because if I learn something she likes, I won't be happy, and she'll yell at me for not enjoying the $250 guitar that she spent her whole life saving up to buy (we're not poor, she just exaggerates. Also, it's my first guitar, so $250 was all they were willing to pay)
oh yeah, you wont get a dime for playing metal, and hetfield is not the richest man in the rock/metal music worldwide, like 1.600.000.000 dollars?
Slap some numbers over her face.
Peavey Bandit 112
Washburn Chicago series :SD Invader at bridge ,GFS Lil Killer on neck
Bc Rich Warlock :GFS Vintage59 on neck ,Crunchy rails on bridge
Epiphone SG :Tusq Nut, GFS Crunchy Pat on neck, bc rich pickup on bridge
lots of cheap pedals
Last edited by itafromhell at Dec 13, 2009,
Quote by al112987
seeing that you despise the Beatles, I simply cannot take your opinion about music seriously.

This. Quit bitching and learn a Beatles song, then turn on some distortion and do a metal cover of it
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by JAHellraiser
This. Quit bitching and learn a Beatles song, then turn on some distortion and do a metal cover of it
She'll be mad I made changed it (I would probably make it better though)
Grow up.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Tell her Iron Maiden is the one of the most influencial metal bands ever.

Tell her that metal is a subtle genre. If she says that it isn't, say that is exactly what someone who doesn't get the subtleties would say.

Tell her that metal is appeals to musicians, like jazz. Especially to guitarists.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
that's pretty sad I hate people that say crap. Iron Maiden is the band that brought heavy metal alive and millions of people love Iron Maiden. So she's probably just being retarded, play what you like. I play Maiden, some of my own stuff and some other metal bands.
Ignore everyone telling you to do something about this problem and, more importantly, ignore her.

Regardless of how old you are, whether you know what you want to do with your life or how likely it is you'll make a living playing Iron Maiden's style of music, there is absolutely nothing to be gained and an incredible amount to be lost by listening to the sort of person who likes something before you tell them what it is and dislikes it after.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
The only "Iron Maiden" I know is "I've got two tickets to Iron Maiden baby, come with me Friday, don't say maybe, I'm just a teenage dirtbag baby with you oohoohoohoohoohooh"
Might I suggest you actually learn a few songs by the Beatles and Van Morrison? You had my sympathies until you said you despise those acts, because both of them had insanely well written songs, and were innovators in many aspects of music, both creatively and in terms of the industry side of things. Any musician who limits themselves in terms of what they listen to and play, especially if they're writing off some of the best music ever written, is only harming themselves.
Quote by koslack
Might I suggest you actually learn a few songs by the Beatles and Van Morrison? You had my sympathies until you said you despise those acts, because both of them had insanely well written songs, and were innovators in many aspects of music, both creatively and in terms of the industry side of things. Any musician who limits themselves in terms of what they listen to and play, especially if they're writing off some of the best music ever written, is only harming themselves.
The first song I learned was Brown Eyed Girl (my step-mom forced me to learn it), so don't tell me I never even bothered to learn, I just hated it as I was learning.
Quote by poopnate
First off, I wasn't sure where to put this, so if in the wrong forum, can a mod plz move it. ty.

My step-mom says I will never be successful playing thrash/heavy metal (Metallica, Slayer, and Iron Maiden). She also says and

In her opinion, I should play The Beatles or Van Morrison (I despise both).

She also says she raised me wrong by not forcing me to listen to The Beatles.

well shes right. there would be more money in those styles of music that the artists she mentioned play. but obviously people have heard of iron maiden and there is money in it for sure. its popular, just not POPular.
Page 1 of 2