Myst: Calm intro, heavy riffs, and lots of solo'ing.

Just a rough first recording. I play all the instruments, except for the drums which are from Guitar Pro.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/xHellbound/music/all/play749403

Woops, typo in the title, supposed to say "metal" and not "doom." Don't know what I was thinking, haha.

12/18 Update: I just got Reaper and I'm working on recording a new version with more exotic scales, hopefully cleaner playing, and possibly a revised intro solo. Thanks for the comments guys, keep 'em coming if you feel anything else needs work.
Last edited by xHellbound at Dec 18, 2009,
its a pretty well formed song, and the solos were good as well. As mentioned before try breaking into some new scales/modes/hell even just add a random accidental you think sounds good. it will always spice up your solo. as for production wise, i dont like the guitar too much, but its not bad. You should also pan your guitars a lot, i do mine 80% both ways, but just a decent amount to add some space and dimension.
Nice ambient intro. Really builds well into the heavy stuff. Think the lead tone needs some work but what you were playing sounded alright. Main riff around 1.15 is nice. I think the solo-ing was fine. Although pentatonic is very common it often sounds good, as it does here although a bit more variety can be good, depends on personal taste- anyway, I reckon your leads were solid.

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1244823
I hear what you guys are saying about the solo. It was improvised based on the 9h10p9 lick that repeats throughout and I didn't have anything "special" planned.

I have to get a new recording program, cause Audacity.. well, sucks. Hah. I've just been too lazy to download something new.
the intro is a bit awkward I think... coming into the heavier part... its a different story... kinda change the story of the song... hahaha... nvm...

I like the bass dude...

but really... maybe u can put some arpeggios in the solo... nice work overall... keep it up...

check out mine?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1239070
Quote by jemeput
the intro is a bit awkward I think... coming into the heavier part... its a different story... kinda change the story of the song... hahaha... nvm...

I like the bass dude...

but really... maybe u can put some arpeggios in the solo... nice work overall... keep it up...

Yeah, I agree that the intro came out a bit weird, but I still like it. I was experimenting with a simple guitar/bass solo (like Children of the Sea or Sign of the Southern Cross by Black Sabbath). And really, you like my bass? Always nice to get comments on my bass playing.

I don't think I know any arpeggios, lol. I'm definitely going to work on a more definite and interesting solo since I'm mostly getting comments on that. Gypsy scales FTW?
Last edited by xHellbound at Dec 16, 2009,
Cool song. Intro was sweet, and I liked the rain sounds. The clean part over the drums sounded out of sync. All the guitar parts were good, wasn't real crazy about the tone, but it wasn't bad. The solo wasn't bad, you should learn more scales than pentatonic like everyone else said though. Everything else was good, it just needs some work. btw I'm not sure if I'd call this Doom, idk though.
OH LAAWDDYY!!!!
Only thing i can think of is that sometimes the background bit kind of goes wack when you start soloing, like the notes aren't in tune with each other. It's only once in a while though. Other than that I like it!
Quote by Paulhrbg
Only thing i can think of is that sometimes the background bit kind of goes wack when you start soloing, like the notes aren't in tune with each other. It's only once in a while though. Other than that I like it!

Thanks for the comment. Could you be more specific where the notes aren't in tune with each other?

Quote by antonvrg
this stuff it AMAZING! *caldera is amazing!

Thanks =3
Last edited by xHellbound at Dec 18, 2009,
that was great. you started slow and gradually built up which created a nice epicness to it. the riff that started at around 1:17 sounded really cool. the pace of the song was great and each part was very well thought out. one thing i thought that could have been done better was that i thought the lead was very very well played however it didn't seem to take the song anywhere. it was sort of fast notes just for the sake of fast notes but that might just be my bluesy musical tastes speaking.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1246494 - there's a draft of a song im writting if you feel kind enough to critique it.
Some good work, although I felt that the intro was perhaps a tad too long and the solo guitar work could have been brought up a little more in the mix.

Drums sounded acceptable for guitar pro, and I look forward to hearing the new and improved version!

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1254965

It's an instrumental track too.

Peace!