I am very new to all of this so I can use as much help as possible.

I just got this package: http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0301620025
It comes with the Squire Affinity HSS strat guitar, and the Fender G-DEC Junior Amp

These are the settings that are available on my amp:
here is a picture of the settings: http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/quality,85/brand,zzounds/G_DEC_Junior_2-25ddda2622d520119ccf76baad0c73f0.jpg
Gain (1-10)
Volume (1-10)
Tone (1-10)
Amp select (Blackface, British, Hot Rod, Metal, Acoust, Jazz, Tweed)
FX Select (Chorus, Flange, Tremolo, Delay, Reverb)
The rest of the settings are for the looping stuff (built in drums and bass)

My guitar has 5 pickup choices:
Position 1. Bridge Pickup
Position 2. Bridge and Middle Pickup
Position 3. Middle Pickup
Position 4. Middle and Neck Pickup
Position 5. Neck Pickup

Is there anyway I can achieve a punk sound without having to buy anything else?

I have asked this question on other sites and I still have not gotten a good answer unfortunately. Hopefully since this is a guitar site, I will finally get this sound!

Thank you very much in advance!
Bridge pickup
probably british amp model with quite a bit of gain
or maybe hot rod
you could try metal but it will probably be too thin
lol. green day isn't punk.

and asking about a "punk sound" is anti-thetical to everything punk actually is. punk is about the attitude and the aggressiveness, not the quality of the music or what it sounds like.

there's no such thing as a "punk sound".

if you want a green day sound, then just boost your mids a ton, doesn't matter what pickups you use, and just play some power chords. you'll be making millions in no time.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Btw, I don't spell it doughnut, because that spells duff-nut.
^That.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by aequitasveritas

and asking about a "punk sound" is anti-thetical to everything punk actually is. punk is about the attitude and the aggressiveness, not the quality of the music or what it sounds like.

if you want a green day sound, then just boost your mids a ton, doesn't matter what pickups you use, and just play some power chords. you'll be making millions in no time.

The elitism in this post is sickening
For green day use a lot of mids and a fair amount of gain and treble, lay off the bass. If you wanna mix that with a more traditional punk sound, lay off the mids just a little and add just a little bass and gain.
My Gear
PRS SE Custom
Fender Standard Customized Fat Strat
Baby Taylor Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Boss SOD-1
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Peavey Channel Selector
Fender 25R practice amp
bridge pickup, and just turn the amp loud on the british or hotrod and boost the mids and trebble
amps
Vox Ac 30 (main)
Fender Supersonic with Krank Krankenstien 4x12
OR 50 with 4 x 12
Gassing for ibanes airplane flanger
Quote by aequitasveritas

The Clash.

I'd assume that dirty, crunchy, yet clear and jangly sound.

Personally, the way I get a sound like that is by setting the tone and gain in the middle or higher, and using a bridge pickup. Set the amp to treble all the way and mid to the middle. Bass either in the middle or at 1, whichever you like better.

A little bit of gain or crunch always helps get that dirty sound.
Quote by aequitasveritas

Jesus christ the guy's new and asked a simple question...

Put your anti-flag poster away and take your head out of your ass. Punk is definitely an easily definable genre of music. If I played The Ramones, Sex Pistols, and the Clash to you one after another... I'd think you'd see some pretty clear similarities.

And for the TS, bridge pickup, not a lot of bass. Just try and get that snarl on the guitar.
Quote by mountain2012
I want a Fender because they are THE American rock sound. I'm proud to be an American.

Gear:
1981 Gibson Les Paul Firebrand

Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss SD-1
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-7
EHX LPB-1
wow!! Thanks for all the quick replies. I think Hot Rod with my Tone at 9 and Gain at 5 is the best sound I can get right now. It's too bad my amp doesn't have Bass, Treble, and Mid controls.

Oh and by the way, I know Green Day really isn't punk anymore, they are a mixture of different types of rock. That's one of the main reasons for why I like them.

Thanks everyone.
Quote by MLilienthal
The elitism in this post is sickening
Surely you aren't insinuating that Green Day is Punk music? Are Slipknot and Avenged Sevenfold death metal bands then? He's not being elitist, there have to be genre lines somewhere. Elitist is saying that melodic death metal isn't death metal.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
got a warning ... soo i guess ill take my immature comments off here .... sorry Joff
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
Last edited by kakos at Dec 13, 2009,
punk sound isnt as easy to narrow down as people often think. doesnt matter if you like them or not, green day did have a very punky sound back with Dookie and their other early albums. the sound is basicly a cranked brittish voiced amp with a P90. a lot of bands use humbuckers as well, so for that early green day or pop-punk sound, a bridge humbucker with a brittish voiced amp is a good start.

however, a lot of punk and pop-punk bands also use high gain american voiced amps as well. still often a fairly bright sound, just not as mid-heavy and usually more of a gain sound instead of a hard crunch. again, bridge humbucker is a good place to start, but its not the end-all be-all of a punk sound.