Been advised to re-string my guitar (1st electric) but im not really sure what strings to buy...
is there a different sound gained from different strings??

sorry for the newb question!

the main difference is the way the strings are wound, the way they feel, how long they last and how well they sound.
go to a music stor and get a few sets from different brands, remember to get the same guage as this will prevent you having to constantly get it set up
id recommend starting with ernie ball slinkys or something. theyre kind of the standard and are fairly cheap.
Quote by daverichards
how would i know which gauge strings i have?

generally manufacturers use 10's or 11's but with custom models they're genrally 9's, what guitar is it you have?
its a squier telecaster custom (72' fender style)

im pretty certain they are the strings from new
Quote by britishsligean
generally manufacturers use 10's or 11's but with custom models they're genrally 9's, what guitar is it you have?

wrong. depending on the scale length, they'll either put on 9's or 10's. 25.5 scale will have 9's and 24.75 will have 10's.

Quote by Banana Wedgie
Different sound? Kind of.

Different tunings sound different with different string gauges, because strings get floppier with lower pitched tunings.

and fixed.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Last edited by randomhero93 at Dec 13, 2009,