You're paying for the name mostly.
Quote by U-neek
Now that is an epic win right there!!!!

I made an epic win
Jackson RR24M
PSN: Livewire410
Sponsorships and Endorsements, Bandwagon, Guitar hero, Disney
Digital Distribution sucks.
The guitars over $3000 are pretty damn nice though. A guy I know only got $200 for his Custom LP from the pawn shop...I never laughed so hard.
Last edited by Tempoe at Dec 13, 2009,
The Jonas Brothers play them, they have to be good guitars you know.

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

they used to be a great guitar company and the product was really good quality but now their slippin and they are infact overpriced and not really worth it. I have 2 diffrent gibson les paul models and i am definately in the market for a PRS. they are amazing(IMO)
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
Something to do with the CEO of Gibson yanking up the price I think ........
There's a group on UG all about this. Got a petition going and everything. Basically, it's because the CEO thought the way to save the company was to double the prices, rather than start making the guitars as great as they used to.
When altitude dropping, my ears started popping. One more red nightmare...
Last edited by rednightmare at Dec 13, 2009,
theyre that overpriced b/c uninformed people with too much money are willing to drop that much on them.
Supply and demand for Les Pauls. Everything else is normal.

Les Pauls are some of the most highly sought after guitars in the world. Gibson cannot make one a good one for everyone who wants one. There's not enough good wood and not enough workers to put the work into making a great guitar.

Regular Gibson prices like SGs, Flying Vs, and Explorers are the same as every other popular high end brand like Fender, Ibanez Prestige, and ESP (not LTD). I would also like to point out that all of those companies also raised their prices. The cost of natural resources increased along with minimum wage.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Dec 13, 2009,
Quote by JELIFISH19

Les Pauls are some of the most highly sought after guitars in the world. Gibson cannot make one a good one for everyone who wants one. There's not enough good wood and not enough workers to put the work into making a great guitar.

Regular Gibson prices like SGs, Flying Vs, and Explorers are the same as every other popular high end brand like Fender, Ibanez Prestige, and ESP (not LTD). I would also like to point out that all of those companies also raised their prices. The cost of natural resources increased along with minimum wage.

This man is brilliant, and knows what he is talking about. Well here at least.

Im glad you pointed out that EVERYONE raised prices, not just Gibson. That is something always overlooked here. I have no idea why
The sustain of Les Pauls.

I don't own one, but every time I play a Les Paul at Guitar Center, I just stare at the amp and whisper "dayum."
hay guise~
You are paying for the dam name and because they know people would still buy it. I dont know why people are paying for them and they have been making shit lately. A Gibby Les Paul Studio is over $1000. Those are not worth it at all, plus look at this crap they have been making:

$4000: http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Dusk-Tiger.aspx
This makes me laugh everytime $2000: http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-Zoot-Suit.aspx
and just WTF $1000 :http://www.gibson.com/Promotions/ReverseFlyingV/features.html
Quote by robosteven

I don't own one, but every time I play a Les Paul at Guitar Center, I just stare at the amp and whisper "dayum."

You can get an Agile AL-3000 for $400 those play just as good as those overpriced to hell Gibson Les Pauls. People that say gibsons sound better than Agiles are crazy. The amount you pay for that "better" sound is ridiculous.
Quote by Prodigy179
You are paying for the dam name and because they know people would still buy it. I dont know why people are paying for them and they have been making shit lately. A Gibby Les Paul Studio is over $1000. Those are not worth it at all, plus look at this crap they have been making:

$4000: http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Dusk-Tiger.aspx
This makes me laugh everytime $2000: http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-Zoot-Suit.aspx
and just WTF $1000 :http://www.gibson.com/Promotions/ReverseFlyingV/features.html

I have actually never played on a shitty Gibson guitar. Ive played them at guitar centers, pawn shops, even the gibson shop in Nashville. A Studio is a damn well made guitar. You can laugh at the price all you want but it still is a great guitar. There are a few that play better than others, but i have yet to play one thats as bad as you say.
Quote by Seani3
Sponsorships and Endorsements

I’m always amazed at how much Gibson is spending on endorsements. It’sendorsing Slash, who hasn’t done a good album in seven years. It’s endorsing Metalocalypse even though most death metal guitarist probably wouldn’t consider a Gibson no matter how many scenes Skiwsgar’s Explorer appears in. Every time I turn around somebody has a Gibson endorsement. That money has to come from somewhere.
Quote by robosteven

i do the same man, last time i played a les paul, i played like 40 minutes non stop,but the price was absurd $5600
There's always buying used *shrug*

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by jpnyc
I’m always amazed at how much Gibson is spending on endorsements. It’sendorsing Slash, who hasn’t done a good album in seven years. It’s endorsing Metalocalypse even though most death metal guitarist probably wouldn’t consider a Gibson no matter how many scenes Skiwsgar’s Explorer appears in. Every time I turn around somebody has a Gibson endorsement. That money has to come from somewhere.

Fender (36)
Fender Custom Shop (7)

Gibson (7)
Gibson Custom (22)

Ibanez (20)

Thats a comparison from Musicians friend of amount of Sig guitars.

There endorsements aren't that large
Quote by nickdohle
I have actually never played on a shitty Gibson guitar. Ive played them at guitar centers, pawn shops, even the gibson shop in Nashville. A Studio is a damn well made guitar. You can laugh at the price all you want but it still is a great guitar. There are a few that play better than others, but i have yet to play one thats as bad as you say.

They are not bad but for the price you pay you are certainly not getting bang for buck. Maybe im just cheap but id much rather have a few $500 guitars than have 1 official Gibson. I didnt mean to offend you man, but those last 3 guitars man those are garbage. That zoot is just tooo funny to look at. I pray for anyone that buys that. I played a Gibby Les Paul studio in my GC and I didnt like it. Didnt sound that great and it just felt weird to play, but you like gibby and its OK. I just dont like the price and in this economy Gibson is playin games.
Quote by Prodigy179

amazing crap desings loll.
Quote by Prodigy179
They are not bad but for the price you pay you are certainly not getting bang for buck. Maybe im just cheap but id much rather have a few $500 guitars than have 1 official Gibson. I didnt mean to offend you man, but those last 3 guitars man those are garbage. That zoot is just tooo funny to look at. I pray for anyone that buys that. I played a Gibby Les Paul studio in my GC and I didnt like it. Didnt sound that great and it just felt weird to play, but you like gibby and its OK. I just dont like the price and in this economy Gibson is playin games.

I just think theres to much hatred for Gibson. Im a little bit of a Gibson fan by for two reasons, I truly have never played a bad gibson. I havent. Ive played them through crappy amps and they didnt sound great, but they felt good. And i was raised in Nashville for 14 years and seeing walls of Gibsons on the walls of the gibson store is pretty captivating when your a kid.

And you didnt offend me that much. Its more of the rant of everyone on this site. Thsi thread was a bad idea. Its asking for a flame war.
Quote by nickdohle
I just think theres to much hatred for Gibson. Im a little bit of a Gibson fan by for two reasons, I truly have never played a bad gibson. I havent. Ive played them through crappy amps and they didnt sound great, but they felt good. And i was raised in Nashville for 14 years and seeing walls of Gibsons on the walls of the gibson store is pretty captivating when your a kid.

And you didnt offend me that much. Its more of the rant of everyone on this site. Thsi thread was a bad idea. Its asking for a flame war.

I think people are hating on Gibson because people nowadays dont have as much money as they did before. I know people that have had to let their les pauls go to pay bills. Also because some of the stuff they are making now, would you honestly pay for one of those Zoot SGs, Reverse Flying Vs or that Dusk Tiger Robot Les Paul?
Quote by rednightmare
There's a group on UG all about this. Got a petition going and everything. Basically, it's because the CEO thought the way to save the company was to double the prices, rather than start making the guitars as great as they used to.
Sorry, but you honestly have no idea what you are talking about, Henry Juszkiewicz is a much smarter person than you are. The anti-HJ group is hilarious as not a single person in that has any clue about Gibson's history or HJ's role in making Gibson a relevant name in guitars again when they were nearly phased out in the early '80s.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 13, 2009,
Well Gibson is known for making crazy ass guitars just to see if they work. And at least there trying something ya know? Fender gets bashed for never introducing new designs, gibson gets bashed for trying to hard!!

The reverse V's, i will say is a novelty and really ugly. But the reverse explorers were bad ass

The Dusk Tiger isnt half bad. Building off the Dark Fire, which i didnt like so much either. Its just trying something new

The Zoot Suits alot of people dont like. I kinda like two of the color choices. The rest are meh. But the did there homework using the wood they did (birch) as it makes some of the best laminate guitars.
Quote by jpnyc

death metal guitar players wouldnt use a gibson? have you ever played a gibson V or an explorer? what about them isn't good for metal. my V is a really nice guitar for metal. it's a shredders guitar. thinner neck, lighter weight, good sustain. are you kidding me? don't talk about shit you obviously have no clue about. dallas toler-wade from nile has used gibsons in the past before he got endorsed by dean.

gibson has been lacking in quality control. that can't be argued, but the quality of their guitars isn't in any way bad. plus what company do you not pay for the name on? marshall, esp, gibson, fender, mesa, orange, soldano, and so on. all those companies have shit that is extremely pricey. it's all really good stuff, but it's also way over priced. soldano slo 100 head is 3800. that is by far one of my favorite amps, but in no way do i see 3800 a justifiable price for it.

there is a reason why iommi, page, eddie van halen, clapton, santana, angus young, matt pike, and countless other musicians use them? i can think of a bunch of metal bands that use les pauls and SGs. black sabbath, acid kings, electric wizard, black cobra, nile, mastodon, high on fire, sleep, sunn 0))), neurosis, and so on. a lot of those bands are super heavy and all have gibson guitars. i know i left out a bunch of bands, but those are the ones that come to me right off the bat.

I don't like the company at all, but i like the guitars. they are still around for a reason. it's not because of bandwagons and dumb gimmicks. it's because they are some of the best guitars money can buy. just so happens they cost a lot of money. if youre happy playing an agile or an esp or whatever then be happy with it. just don't forget all those les paul copies out there copies gibson for a reason.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
They're only 'overpriced' if 1) you want one but can't afford it so you're being a resentful douché or 2) they don't suit what you need so you see no value in them.

If what you need is a top-quality SG and you have the money to comfortably afford a Gibson SG, you buy a Gibson SG and you don't feel bad about doing so. If you want a good Firebird and you can afford a Gibson Firebird, you buy it.

Gibsons are only 'overpriced' if they don't fulfill what you need. If you want a super Strat with huge fretwire and a Floyd Rose, you don't buy a Gibson Firebird. Otherwise, if they do fulfill what you want but you're being a whiny baby because Mummy and Daddy won't buy you one, then tough shit, get a job.

Hell, it's not even Gibson, it's all companies. To me, most Ibanez guitars are horribly overpriced because they don't fulfill a single requirement of mine.

There's also a certain amount of knowing your place. People on U-G whine all the time about things like "Robot guitars will mean beginners never learn how to tune their guitars" or "why don't ESP make some cheap guitars that aren't LTDs?" or "why does Avril Lavigne have a signature guitar when she can't even shred!?" and other such bullshit. The answer is simple: know your place. These companies are not here to pander to you. They put out their products, it's entirely your choice if you buy them or not. In many cases, a certain product simply isn't suited to you; that doesn't mean you should or have any reason to whine about it. You don't understand what use a Robot guitar has? Sucks to be as dumb as you then but plenty of other people will benefit and no, it won't be beginners who don't know how to tune because a beginner isn't going to be buying a Robot guitar as their first guitar. You don't like that the cheaper ESPs are all called LTDs and not made in Japan? Well if your budget is only stretching to the low-end, you're not someone who needs a Japanese made ESP with laser-cut inlays anyway. You don't like that Avril Lavigne has a signature guitar? It's not aimed at you, it's for a different market that you don't fit in to and her name sells so boo-hoo.

Seriously. 95% of the complaints and crying on here are just from ****ing morons with unrealistic expectations and demands who have no actual reason to bitch. 100% of those people don't have the slightest clue what they're even complaining about anyway.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
and to the people saying buy an agile its 1/4 the price. that may be true, and they may be good guitars, but there is reasons why their only $400 and its not JUST the name

They're only 'overpriced' if 1) you want one but can't afford it so you're being a resentful douché or 2) they don't suit what you need so you see no value in them.

If what you need is a top-quality SG and you have the money to comfortably afford a Gibson SG, you buy a Gibson SG and you don't feel bad about doing so. If you want a good Firebird and you can afford a Gibson Firebird, you buy it.

Gibsons are only 'overpriced' if they don't fulfill what you need. If you want a super Strat with huge fretwire and a Floyd Rose, you don't buy a Gibson Firebird. Otherwise, if they do fulfill what you want but you're being a whiny baby because Mummy and Daddy won't buy you one, then tough shit, get a job.

Hell, it's not even Gibson, it's all companies. To me, most Ibanez guitars are horribly overpriced because they don't fulfill a single requirement of mine.

There's also a certain amount of knowing your place. People on U-G whine all the time about things like "Robot guitars will mean beginners never learn how to tune their guitars" or "why don't ESP make some cheap guitars that aren't LTDs?" or "why does Avril Lavigne have a signature guitar when she can't even shred!?" and other such bullshit. The answer is simple: know your place. These companies are not here to pander to you. They put out their products, it's entirely your choice if you buy them or not. In many cases, a certain product simply isn't suited to you; that doesn't mean you should or have any reason to whine about it. You don't understand what use a Robot guitar has? Sucks to be as dumb as you then but plenty of other people will benefit and no, it won't be beginners who don't know how to tune because a beginner isn't going to be buying a Robot guitar as their first guitar. You don't like that the cheaper ESPs are all called LTDs and not made in Japan? Well if your budget is only stretching to the low-end, you're not someone who needs a Japanese made ESP with laser-cut inlays anyway. You don't like that Avril Lavigne has a signature guitar? It's not aimed at you, it's for a different market that you don't fit in to and her name sells so boo-hoo.

Seriously. 95% of the complaints and crying on here are just from ****ing morons with unrealistic expectations and demands who have no actual reason to bitch. 100% of those people don't have the slightest clue what they're even complaining about anyway.

quoted for truth
Quote by gatechballer
SoLgEr is the ****ing man!!!!!
Last edited by SoLgEr at Dec 13, 2009,
Quote by Crohny
death metal guitar players wouldnt use a gibson? have you ever played a gibson V or an explorer? what about them isn't good for metal. my V is a really nice guitar for metal. it's a shredders guitar. thinner neck, lighter weight, good sustain. are you kidding me? don't talk about shit you obviously have no clue about. dallas toler-wade from nile has used gibsons in the past before he got endorsed by dean.

gibson has been lacking in quality control. that can't be argued, but the quality of their guitars isn't in any way bad. plus what company do you not pay for the name on? marshall, esp, gibson, fender, mesa, orange, soldano, and so on. all those companies have shit that is extremely pricey. it's all really good stuff, but it's also way over priced. soldano slo 100 head is 3800. that is by far one of my favorite amps, but in no way do i see 3800 a justifiable price for it.

there is a reason why iommi, page, eddie van halen, clapton, santana, angus young, matt pike, and countless other musicians use them? i can think of a bunch of metal bands that use les pauls and SGs. black sabbath, acid kings, electric wizard, black cobra, nile, mastodon, high on fire, sleep, sunn 0))), neurosis, and so on. a lot of those bands are super heavy and all have gibson guitars. i know i left out a bunch of bands, but those are the ones that come to me right off the bat.

I don't like the company at all, but i like the guitars. they are still around for a reason. it's not because of bandwagons and dumb gimmicks. it's because they are some of the best guitars money can buy. just so happens they cost a lot of money. if youre happy playing an agile or an esp or whatever then be happy with it. just don't forget all those les paul copies out there copies gibson for a reason.

Yes they are copies but if thats the case then alot of guitars are copies. Almost all these big name companies make every body style. It just comes down to the person who thinks what is worth his money. I just happen to be one of those people that wont pay a lot unless its my own custom.
Quote by MrFlibble

Ahh You have open my eyes but would you pay $4000 for a les paul you think you need or would you go for something cheaper? Just want to know. Not trying to start argue.
Quote by Prodigy179
Ahh You have open my eyes but would you pay $4000 for a les paul you think you need or would you go for something cheaper? Just want to know. Not trying to start argue.
Well... seeing that he has an R9, I think it's safe to say that yes, he would pay that.

Let me ask YOU this, if you wanted a 1950s spec les paul with a solid maple top, and a 1 piece Honduran mahogany back and neck. What would you buy?
Quote by al112987
Well... seeing that he has an R9, I think it's safe to say that yes, he would pay that.

Let me ask YOU this, if you wanted a 1950s spec les paul with a solid maple top, and a 1 piece Honduran mahogany back and neck. What would you buy?

I probably wouldnt because that would cost more a Brand new BMW. I prefer midrange guitars and nice amps. I like to sound better instead of bragging to my friends that I payed $1000+ for a guitar.
Quote by JELIFISH19

There we go, someone's thinking. The prices are reasonable when you think about it, they're generally well-built American-made guitars. The ESP/Epiphone/Tokai alternatives aren't MIA, and MIA costs more when it comes to guitars, regardless of the relative quality.

Quote by jpnyc
It’s endorsing Metalocalypse even though most death metal guitarist probably wouldn’t consider a Gibson no matter how many scenes Skiwsgar’s Explorer appears in. Every time I turn around somebody has a Gibson endorsement. That money has to come from somewhere.
So Mikael Akerfeldt and Adam Darski don't play death metal?
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
Quote by Prodigy179
I probably wouldnt because that would cost more a Brand new BMW. I prefer midrange guitars and nice amps. I like to sound better instead of bragging to my friends that I payed $1000+ for a guitar.
you are talking about different markets. If you go to the les paul forum, where literally 70% of the population there owns a high end Gibson historic reissue and search for the rigs they're using, you will pop up one of two things; vintage Fender, vintage Marshall or a Metroamp clone of a vintage Marshall.

The guys who are going to drop $5000 on a guitar are not going to be playing their guitars through a Roland Cube.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 13, 2009,
Quote by Prodigy179

You don't prefer midrange guitars. You're just stuck with them. If you could afford good guitars and good amps, you would buy them. Good guitars with good amps sound better than mid-range guitars with the same amp.
Quote by MrFlibble

i agree with everything you say accept the thing about gibsons not being over priced if you can afford them. i can't afford a new gibson every paycheck, but if i really wanted to i could save up for a high end gibson. i think they are great guitars, but i don't think they are actually worth that amount of money. it's all comes down to have much you personally feel a dollar is worth to you. im in no means resentful. i'm more than happy to play budget guitars. i like epiphone and agile. i wouldn't have a problem buying a les paul copy. i plan on trying on agile LPs for sure. i just don't think 5 grand is truely worth it. ill buy a high end gibson one day, but that doesnt mean i still think the price is worth it by any means.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by JELIFISH19
You don't prefer midrange guitars. You're just stuck with them. If you could afford good guitars and good amps, you would buy them. Good guitars with good amps sound better than mid-range guitars with the same amp.

If I really, REALLY wanted a really expensive guitar I would get one. Not saying I could buy one right this second but I could get one in the future if I really wanted one. I honestly dont even really look past the $700 range my friend. Besides your acting like guitars make up alot of your tone, while it does affect it, amps and what your are running through make the most difference. Im not that much of a tone *****. Id much rather have a few decent guitars than 1 really good guitar.
Gibson's are really like a Lexus compared to a high end Toyota
you may get a higher price for the name, but you won't have
a large significance different in far as tone is concerned.
Ibanez AEL10E BLK- W/ Graph Tech Nut, Saddle and Pins
Duncan Woody XL Pickup w/ stock fishman EQ

Schecter C1+ Darksunburst w/ SH-4 (N) & SH-6 (B) 24.75"
Gain boost Switch
11-14-21w-38w-49w-60w D'Addario strings
ENGL Fireball+Savage+Vader Cab
Quote by Prodigy179
If I really, REALLY wanted a really expensive guitar I would get one. Not saying I could buy one right this second but I could get one in the future if I really wanted one. I honestly dont even really look past the $700 range my friend. Besides your acting like guitars make up alot of your tone, while it does affect it, amps and what your are running through make the most difference. Im not that much of a tone *****. Id much rather have a few decent guitars than 1 really good guitar.

your tone comes is affected a lot by your guitar, you just don't realize it. play a high end epiphone, then play a high end gibson cutom through the same amp. you'll be able to tell a noticeable difference. the more you spend the better the guitar. in no way do i feel the quality reflects some of the prices out there.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Page 1 of 5