1. What makes one bass better for slapping pop than another? Pickups?

2. Why is hard to slap high frets? Like, when I try to slap on the 7th fret for a particular song, it comes out as a dull thud instead of the slap sound I want...

3. What's the most versatile kind of basses? When I get a new bass, it'll probably be my main bass for around 5 years or so...
So basically what kind of basses are capable of the largest variety of tones and can slap pretty well too...

Thanks!
1. pickups and position, humbucker in bridge position ideally.

2. Either you have a dead spot or your technique is wrong

3. status, musicman, sterling by musicman
In addition to previous posts

1. Action, neck style, height of strings from body, type of pick ups

2. Or super high action. But its probably you

3. As much as I dislike them, fenders are used in more or less every genre
Techniques aren't really specific to the type of bass you have. In theory you should be able to slap on any bass, the type of pick-ups aren't a factor at all. Amp settings and how you play it are the only things to consider.

Largest variety of tone? As Tubatom said, it's definately a Fender Jazz.
1. Pickups, action, etc. but it really depends on your own personal taste. Basically, you'll slap better if they bass is more comfortable to you.

2. Your technique needs work

3. Fender Precisions and Jazzes are extremely versatile. Ibanez SR's are incredibly versatile, although some people find the tight string spacing makes slap a bit more difficult. Most basses are versatile enough to cover almost any genre or style, but a Fender or an Ibanez will be both affordable, and will fit in almost anywhere
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Casketcreep
Techniques aren't really specific to the type of bass you have. In theory you should be able to slap on any bass, the type of pick-ups aren't a factor at all. Amp settings and how you play it are the only things to consider.

Largest variety of tone? As Tubatom said, it's definately a Fender Jazz.

To be fair though, how the bass feels really does effect how you slap. My technique for slap feels a lot different on my fernandes than my friends schecter. Also, pick ups arent really a factor for the technique aspect, but they are a huge part of tone