my rhythm guitarist just got a new Marshall Vintage Modern stack (100 watts) and since he doesn't have a UG account I'll ask this for him. I myself don't know the answer either. He bought the head with a matching 425a cabinet. the cabinet's ratings are
mono: 16ohm/4ohm
stereo: 8ohms/8ohms
the head has 8ohm and 16 ohm settings. the question he (and I) have, because both of us have played with combos up till now is, watt is the safest way for him to connect this head to the cabinet without destroying the cabinet? to me the 8ohm - 8ohm connection sounds like it would be optimal, but the amp is 100 watts. so could somebody please give us a quick lesson on head - cabinet connections?
Since he has never owned a halfstack, he should probably read the owners manual first and foremost. Just make sure that the ohms coming from the head do not exceed the ohms of the cabinet.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

if u are using a single cab, not a full stack w 2 cabs, then set ur amp to match the cab. if ur cab says 16 set your amp for 16. if u run 2 cabs @ 16 u set ur amp for 8. if u have 2 cabs rated at 8 u set ur amp for 4. so, 1 cab match it. 2 cabs cut it in half. the otha guy is def right though, you should read the manual either way.
Quote by slash4114
Since he has never owned a halfstack, he should probably read the owners manual first and foremost. Just make sure that the ohms coming from the head do not exceed the ohms of the cabinet.

doesn't have one. it was a floor model at the guitar shop.

but yeah, since it's just 1 cab i'll tell him to set them both for 16 ohms
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Dec 13, 2009,