This 5watt tube amp has no gain on tap, looking for a pedal to play Iron Maiden, Megadeth, and maybe some lighter stuff as well.

Searches have led me to either the Digitech TL-2, Barber Dirty Bomb, and MI Audio Crunch Box.

Youtube vids I listened to the TL-2 had the best metal tone, so I'm leaning towards it as I'm more concerned with getting those tones.

Crunch Box and Barber Dirty Bomb have pretty good reviews, but I never found a vid with a good metal performance. They would both be more versatile than the TL-2, but I'm not sure they will get a good megadeth or metallica tone.

I'd really like to get one of wamplers' pedals(plex or triple wreck), but there is no way I'm buying a pedal much over $100 to play through this $80 amp.

(ignore my sig, this is going to be a gift for my brother -which makes gc availability a plus since it makes it easy for him to return if he doesn't like it)

Edit: Will be used with a Custom 5 pickup on a jackson performer
JVM 410H
Blackstar HT5c
Jackson KV5FR
ESP LTD H-302
Last edited by ninjab at Dec 13, 2009,
I'd say grab the digitech the hardwire series is great.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
might be worth considering the tonerider one? haven't tried it, but hear good things, and i've got their chorus, which is very nice indeed. Assuming the distortion is similarly nice...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Wampler pedals are worth every penny. You may want to reconsider, especially if you ever buy a better amp in the future. You'll already have the pedal. It makes my VJ sound a whole lot more expensive then it is.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD