Ive been playing guitar for about 5 or so years now, and up until last year i've always had 'buckers in my guitar. Now that a lot more of my friends have gotten les pauls, and i rebuilt my sg im looking for something good quality but not too expensive. Im left handed so this is why im asking for others opinions on which les paul to buy.

I don't need an amp because i have a Blues Junior and JCM900.

My SG is bad quality, and ive always loved playing les pauls but havent owned one, im open to ALL brands and i dont really want to go over $500 but if i have to i can save a little more.

Im very interested in the vintage icon Peter Green lemon drop but i cant find any sites that will ship a lefty one for a very good price.
Gibson SG Standard

Custom Monterey Strat with Half scallop and CS 69's

Marshall Class 5

EHX Big Muff
check out agile and esp....MAYBE epi. agile is probably ur best bet though. they have a great rep around here and i bet if u emailed a request they might make u a lefty one.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Thanks for the reply, im looking at the al2000's because i dont like all the extra binding and stuff on the 3000's but the only one i really want a lot is the goldtop and i asked kurt earlier today about lefty humbucker goldtops and he doesnt have any in or coming in.

How are most of the tops on the 2000's?
Gibson SG Standard

Marshall Class 5

EHX Big Muff
Agile's a bit pointless for Canada. Vintage have, I believe, better distribution in Canada so they should be cheaper and arguably the better Vintage models are better than the equivalent Agile. In the last couple of years Vintage have really stepped up their game, especially in their Advance series.

It's worth mentioning that although the Peter Green model is nice, it's actually no different from the normal Vintage V100 LP copy, just the neck pickup is wired out of phase with the bridge pickup. If that's a tone you really like then go for it, but that is the only real difference, int erms of build quality and whatever the regular V100's are just the same. Also, I'm not too up on the prices in Canada, but here in the UK you can get a Vintage Advance AV1 LP copy for about the same (if not lower) price than the Peter Green regular Vintage. The Advance AV1 gets higher grade body wood, slightly nicer hardware, ivory or graphite nut (depends on the finish; regular Vintage models have a plastic nut), coil split and a thumb cutout above the neck join for slightly better upper fret access. Really worth looking into.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Agile's a bit pointless for Canada. Vintage have, I believe, better distribution in Canada so they should be cheaper and arguably the better Vintage models are better than the equivalent Agile. In the last couple of years Vintage have really stepped up their game, especially in their Advance series.

It's worth mentioning that although the Peter Green model is nice, it's actually no different from the normal Vintage V100 LP copy, just the neck pickup is wired out of phase with the bridge pickup. If that's a tone you really like then go for it, but that is the only real difference, int erms of build quality and whatever the regular V100's are just the same. Also, I'm not too up on the prices in Canada, but here in the UK you can get a Vintage Advance AV1 LP copy for about the same (if not lower) price than the Peter Green regular Vintage. The Advance AV1 gets higher grade body wood, slightly nicer hardware, ivory or graphite nut (depends on the finish; regular Vintage models have a plastic nut), coil split and a thumb cutout above the neck join for slightly better upper fret access. Really worth looking into.

Do you know of any UK sites that ship vintage guitars to canada, for a somewhat reasonable amount?
Gibson SG Standard

Marshall Class 5

EHX Big Muff
Er, can be tricky, most countries aren't allowed to ship guitars around for private purchase (i.e. what you're doing). Certainly shops in Europe can only ship to other European countries and if we try to import from America or Canada we get very hevaily taxed for it and there are some brands we can't import at all. I believe this also works in reverse; importing from the UK (or Europe) to Canada would result in hevay taxing and some brands won't allow it at all.

http://www.jhs.co.uk/export/canada.html - the contact details of Vintage's distributor for Canada. Probably best to give them a call. It may take a little longer and involve more ringing around but you should be able to get any of their guitars through them, cheaper than importing.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Thanks for all the help
Gibson SG Standard

Marshall Class 5

EHX Big Muff
i wouldn't buy a low end Gibson. especially from what I've seen first hand with their quality control. I'm not just bandwagonning. I have encountered many proplems. sharp frets, unleveled frets, mess ups in finishes, faulty tone and volume controls, faulty pickups and input jacks. not all in the same guitar, there all spread out, but those are the most common issues. I've also played the lower ends, like the studios and specials. they're no studio quality and there's nothin special about them. same issues that I mentioned earlier.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
There are a lot of lower end gibsons that were sold for brief periods of time that were absolute tone monsters. A few years ago, you could pick one of these up for $700 or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It3V5-mF1J4

That being said, the QC thing is seriously overblown. Randomhero, I have no idea where you are trying your guitars, but I have been playing Gibsons for the last 8 years and whilst I see problems every now and then, but no more than any other standard production guitar, and I always used to love to bash Gibson (I went through a fight the power, go against the mold phase when I was 15 or 16) until I realized that I only saw what I wanted to see, when it came down to it, every guitar brand puts out guitars with some flaws.

Talk up QC issues all you want, but when it comes down to it, none of it matters if you try the guitar before you buy it.

I hate to call you out on this, but i personally feel like a lot of what you said is BS. I personally have not felt like sharp or uneven frets have been a huge issue, occasionally on some of the unbound freboards you see it, but otherwise, not really. Even then, if you point it out at a store, they will fix it for you before you leave with it, there has not been a single case I have seen where a store will not do something that small for the sake of selling a guitar. I'm not so arrogant to believe that I am right and you are wrong or to call your first hand experience wrong, but since you said you've experienced these problems first hand, I'd really like to ask about this one...
Quote by randomhero93
i wouldn't buy a low end Gibson. especially from what I've seen first hand with their quality control. I'm not just bandwagonning. I have encountered many proplems. sharp frets, unleveled frets, mess ups in finishes, faulty tone and volume controls, faulty pickups and input jacks. not all in the same guitar, there all spread out, but those are the most common issues. I've also played the lower ends, like the studios and specials. they're no studio quality and there's nothin special about them. same issues that I mentioned earlier.

What is your evidence for faulty pickups? i have personally NEVER seen this on a guitar, any guitar. since you're saying this is one of the more common problems, i'd really like to hear how you determined there was a faulty pickup. maybe you understand how pickups work better than i do, so there must be something to look for that i'm not aware of, otherwise, you are probably just making this up. And I know I might seem like a huge homer for Gibsons, but I have never had a real problem with any of what you pointed out (at least not significantly more than any other make of guitar), and I can't help but to think that if you are making the issue with faulty pickups up, well... it's hard to take your word about the rest either, as I have not experienced any of those issues as "common" myself.

Really, it's nothing personal, but I just have trouble believing that you have had multiple problems with "faulty pickups." (or consistent problems with the rest for that matter). Again, I like to think that I know a fair bit about gear, but will admit that I have not played every guitar out there or know about everything that has to do with guitars. So explain the faulty pickups thing to me as it's not making sense.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 13, 2009,