So. I'm pretty pissed right now. I just put about $200 into my champ to get the caps replaced, the filter or whatever, the wire harness, a power tube and the speaker since the driver went bad. I received the amp on Thursday and have been playing it moderately since then. About 10 minutes ago I was running said champ dimed, hooked up to a 4ohm 2x12 cab I borrowed from a friend for recording and I heard a loud pop and my sound cut out. I turned the amp off quickly and unplugged everything and let it cool down for a little. I plugged the replaced speaker in and flipped the switch on and got a loud pop followed by just loud noise. No guitar signal got through. I turned it off and flipped it over to watch the tubes and turned it on again. The power tube arced when the amp popped and I got a nasty shock from the chassy of the amp followed by the noise I had heard previously.

Any ideas what the hell I'm going to have to pay for now? Might I be lucky enough to have just gotten a defective tube?
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Sounds like an impedance mismatch? You sure it was your tubes and not the transformer arcing? With any luck you wont have fused your power transformer.

When your tech replaced the speaker, was he aware that your amp is 4 ohm, and that the replacement speaker for the amp is apparently very difficult to find?

Edit: I remember reading a while back that its rather difficult to get 12 inch 4 ohm guitar speakers? Not sure if it's still the case.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Last edited by R.D at Dec 13, 2009,
Quote by R.D
Sounds like an impedance mismatch? You sure it was your tubes and not the transformer arcing? With any luck you wont have fused your power transformer.

When your tech replaced the speaker, was he aware that your amp is 4 ohm, and that the replacement speaker for the amp is apparently very difficult to find?

Edit: I remember reading a while back that its rather difficult to get 12 inch 4 ohm guitar speakers? Not sure if it's still the case.

He was aware that replacements are weird because the amp is rated at like...3.2 ohms or something stupid. He specializes in Black and silverface Fender amps. So he replaced the speaker with an 8inch 4 ohm. And the arc was actually WITHIN the tube. It was really weird. The whole tube flashed blue, then began to glow.

And the cab I was using is 2 12 inchers, 8 ohms a piece wired in parallel to make the cab 4 ohm.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712