Page 1 of 2
Hey all. Since it's the holidays, I was thinking about what it was that I was really passionate about, and what I REALLY wanted for the holidays.

I decided on a guitar. HOWEVER, my family is incredibly poor, and, since I've never picked up a guitar in my life, my mom thinks I should hold out on an expensive guitar until I've decided I REALLY like guitar playing, and until I'm really good enough.

I have an amp through a friend, but I need a decent sounding and decently durable guitar that can hopefully one day play some melodeath at around or under $100 USD.

I KNOW the guitar I get is going to be a piece of shit, but like I said, I'm still learning, and once my family has more money, I'm sure I'll be upgrading immediately.

PS: If the guitar is available at Guitar Center, that would be a HUGE HELP. There's one right near me, and ordering online (unless it's through a local store) is not the most viable option.

ANYWAYS, thanks so much for the help, and happy holidays!
I'd go used. There's no way you're even going to get a semi-decent guitar new. Go to GC and play what they have in your price range.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
The starter packs that the different music stores have are not too shabby. If you're on a tight budget, go for playability ahead of looks. It's easy to find a chinese toy guitar that looks awesome but plays like utter shit. On the other hand, you can easily find a cheap guitar that looks plain, but plays nicely. Agiles are a good option. And as said, the starter packs usually.
for $100, you can't get much that'll last beyond the scope of six months.

better idea: get a cheap acoustic. as a beginner, it'll help you develop better technique (provided you have good learning resources to begin with). then, by the time you get good, and you get an electric, you'll kick ass once you polish up your technique a bit.

you don't have to - not everyone who's exceptional at playing guitar started on an acoustic. but it helps. not to mention that in addition to the $100 guitar you'd need an amp and a cable, which for a decent beginner-quality can run you $50 used.
Although i hate death metal and all that crap lol id be happy to help.
basically you could buy a squier strat, nothing fancy really crank the distortion up on ur amp with one of them and ud have a decent tone, also id advise you to check out the ibanez gax series. my first guitar was an ibanez gax 30, and it was freakin sweet, ive been playin for almost 3 years now so obv i have a better guitar now.

Hope that helped bud =]

Equipment:
Fender Stratocaster: Electron Blue
Roland cube 30x Amp
Vox AC15 Amp
Boss Digital Delay pedal
Behringer VD400 delay pedal
Dunlop Cry baby Whammy
Boss DH-2 Distortion Pedal
Apple Macbook for Built in effects and amps, (Apple Logic Pro)

holy shit, that was fast! Thanks

To Aeolin, I've already got an amp, my friend has about 5000 guitars and amps that are really good quality (or so he says, like I've said, I literally know NOTHING about guitars or amps, lmfao) and he said he'll gladly let me borrow one until I can afford one myself.

As for the starter packs, yeah, I was definitely considering that, but I heard they played like shit, too?

And sgmaster, thanks for the recc, but $130 is too expensive :/

My mom is putting this whole thing on a very TIGHT, yet very STRICT budget, so, even 30 bucks more is too much

Jagerslushy I was considering going used. But am worried that a thrown-around guitar might play poorly or break easily.

Thanks for the recc comradsputnik.

and Sgmaster I am right handed, thanks for offering to help me!
why not save a bit more cash?
Ibanez AEL10E BLK- W/ Graph Tech Nut, Saddle and Pins
Duncan Woody XL Pickup w/ stock fishman EQ

Schecter C1+ Darksunburst w/ SH-4 (N) & SH-6 (B) 24.75"
Gain boost Switch
11-14-21w-38w-49w-60w D'Addario strings
ENGL Fireball+Savage+Vader Cab
Squier Bullet Strats are about 119$. They're not great but good for the money. Used, you could get it for as low as 50$ if you look hard enough. Check out eBay and your nearest GuitarCenter.
Quote by xDarrellx87x
why not save a bit more cash?

I would save a bit more cash, but it's not really up to me. My entire family's been this strapped for cash for a number of years. My father's been unemployed for the last 8, now, I believe, and it doesn't look like he'll be getting a job anytime soon. If he was to get a job, that would be a different story, but that might not be for another 3-4 years!

Not that I'm impatient, in fact, I'm trying to get a job so I can afford my OWN guitar. However, with university finals coming at the moment, it's rather hard to do that.
$100 is a bit tight, but it can be made to work, especially if you look used. If we are talking about guitar _and_ amp, it will get a bit difficult (probably resorting to using some amp emulation software on your computer)

For a guitar, the first thing I would recommend is to look used, check your local craigslist for cheaper instruments, a squier strat or epiphone sg/paul often will go for sub 100.

If you prefer a new instrument, the squier bullet strat is 99usd if i recall correctly, or you can check out some of the more inexpensive stuff on rondomusic
http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar-ss2.html
http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar-ss1.html

for amp/tuner if you don't have one, Waves GTR Solo is a free emulation software, just plug the 1/4" from your guitar to the 1/8" microphone in your computer, its not top notch, but it gets the job done for playing with headphones.
http://download.cnet.com/Waves-GTR-Solo/3000-2169_4-10907037.html

Good luck with the guitar and the finals!
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
Last edited by jeffc313 at Dec 13, 2009,
Quote by rockstar16
basically you could buy a squier strat, nothing fancy really crank the distortion up on ur amp with one of them and ud have a decent tone, also id advise you to check out the ibanez gax series. my first guitar was an ibanez gax 30, and it was freakin sweet, ive been playin for almost 3 years now so obv i have a better guitar now.

Hope that helped bud =]

Equipment:
Roland cube 30x Amp
Vox AC15 Amp
Boss Digital Delay pedal
Dunlop Cry baby Whammy

Geddit?

And to TS, $100 for a guitar and an amp is going to be difficult. I can think of some $99 guitars, but what will you do for an amp?
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by shinderhizzle84
I would save a bit more cash, but it's not really up to me. My entire family's been this strapped for cash for a number of years. My father's been unemployed for the last 8, now, I believe, and it doesn't look like he'll be getting a job anytime soon. If he was to get a job, that would be a different story, but that might not be for another 3-4 years!

Not that I'm impatient, in fact, I'm trying to get a job so I can afford my OWN guitar. However, with university finals coming at the moment, it's rather hard to do that.

maybe just accept a $100 bill?

On a joking note, why not buy a guitar hero guitar for $20 ftw
Ibanez AEL10E BLK- W/ Graph Tech Nut, Saddle and Pins
Duncan Woody XL Pickup w/ stock fishman EQ

Schecter C1+ Darksunburst w/ SH-4 (N) & SH-6 (B) 24.75"
Gain boost Switch
11-14-21w-38w-49w-60w D'Addario strings
ENGL Fireball+Savage+Vader Cab
Last edited by xDarrellx87x at Dec 13, 2009,
I already have an amp

My friend is giving me one. All I need is a guitar for approximately $100 USD
Quote by shinderhizzle84
I already have an amp

My friend is giving me one. All I need is a guitar for approximately $100 USD

ok, that makes it a bit easier. I'd recommend going used, but if you can scrape together a bit more, I'd recommend this
http://www.rondomusic.com/deimoscs.html (cheapest Set-neck les paul copy on rondomusic)
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
dcheck out craigslist man, i see a lot of peeps get cheap guitars off there for ridiculous prices.. like 50 bucks for an epihpone sg speicial.. totally shit guit though.
Quote by rockstar16

Hope that helped bud =]

Equipment:
Roland cube 30x Amp
Vox AC15 Amp
Boss Digital Delay pedal
Dunlop Cry baby Whammy

Why do you have your sig as part of your post?
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by shinderhizzle84
Found THIS:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/msg/1501770807.html

Not sure if he's legit. He probably is seeing as he'll "deliver" it, but I'm not so sure I want some stranger coming into my house.

I asked him what model number it is and how long he's had it for and have yet to hear back from him.

The question for you guys, is if I'm getting a good deal or not?

GIO's are really not that great, not terrible, but I think that a squier strat would be better.
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/msg/1505159862.html
for $75 you get a better guitar, and have money left over for picks/a tuner/a cable/strings
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
@ Jeffc313:

My mom doesn't really want to drive all the way to Brooklyn, and neither do I :/

And thanks for the links prodigy.

I actually just remembered that there's a samash nearby me, too! I don't know if their prices are the same as guitar center, but if someone can find something there, it'd be a hell of a lot easier.

ALSO, I went to guitar center last night, and looked at a guitar, but i CAN'T REMEMBER THE EXACT MODEL :/

I'm almost 100% sure it was this one:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean-Vendetta-XM-Electric-Guitar-with-Tremolo-874213-i1452652.gc

Would this be suitable/fine?
My mom wants to buy me

http://www.guitarcorner.com/J_Reynolds_Electric_Guitar_Black_p/jr6_b.htm

Obviously, this is a knock off of the stratocaster, but she said that the description claims that most guitars at this price range are made with 15-20 ply bodies, yet this guitar is made with a wood body. Is this at all true? If this is the case, I may go with this guitar, but would like some input before I decide to buy.

Thanks again!
Quote by biga29

Geddit?

And to TS, $100 for a guitar and an amp is going to be difficult. I can think of some $99 guitars, but what will you do for an amp?

You just made my day right there.
99% of my posts will probably be entirely misinformed, malformed, malware infested, and... marmalade topped.

Oh, and your tongue is on fire.
Go for the vendetta. It has humbuckers, which are almost a requirement for high gain metal. It won't be an excellent guitar, but it will see you through what you need it to. As I remember, Dean necks are fairly nice. The only thing I'd worry about is that some people say Deans are flimsy (I never owned one, so I have no idea).

You said your friend has a number of guitars. Why not see if you can borrow one from him? That way, you can find out if you like guitar. If you don't just give it back and you're family isn't out a hundred bucks. If you're really passionate about guitar, I think that the Dean would be the way to go (just don't use the tremolo).

Also, if you have the right cables (you can try to get them with the guitar or borrow from your friend), you can download a free metronome and tuner. Those will be invaluable to getting good.

Best of luck to you, man. I hope you really get into guitar, too. It's the best thing that's happened to me in a while.
That Ibanez will be better than the Dean. If you can stretch your budget to $150, that guitar will be good. I believe it's more versatile than the Dean (it can do metal just fine, but the cleans on it won't be too bad either, relatively speaking, anyway). Again, don't use the tremolo.

Also, make sure you get all the tools you need with the guitar. I believe they are supposed to include a wrench to adjust intonation and such, but sometimes they forget to include them.
I've played one of those Ibanezs before, and as far as playability goes, it was actually very nice, it stayed in tune with some trem-wank too...

Quote by slashe50
You just made my day right there.

haha, somebody got it... I didn't know if it was just me...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Last edited by biga29 at Dec 13, 2009,
The Ibanez will be much better than the Dean, if you can stretch your budget that far. But if not, the Dean is a good beginner guitar that will do metal very well. I strongly suggest that you see what used guitars are available at your local GC though. You will probably get a good deal. But, seeing as this is your first guitar you really can't go too wrong. You'll probably get better quality and looks for the price in stuff from Rondo Music, like these:

http://www.rondomusic.com/SR11bk.html
http://www.rondomusic.com/octanisbk.html
http://www.rondomusic.com/zekeblack.html
http://www.rondomusic.com/halobk.html
thanks offworld.

My only problem with ordering online is the shipping and handling costs. You can find a $99.99 guitar online, but unless it's free shipping, which Rondo Music does not have, it's going to go over my family's budget, which, even if it's by 10 or 20 dollars, is most likely a no-no.
When you go to look at guitars take some one who is a good guitar player with you and they will help you find the best guitar for the money. Anything like a Squire Bullet is good to learn on. The guitar I started on was much worse and cheaper than a Bullet but I got on fine. Don't forget to ask for a few free guitar picks when you buy the guitar and buy a guitar tuner.

Once you get used to playing the guitar a bit if you look on this website and others there are guides to setting up guitars that will help you make small adjustments to your guitar to make it easier to play. Also there are loads of websites with free lessons, chord charts and music on them for you to look at.

Good luck
get a used Ibanez RG321mh if you can
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
5000 guitars!?

86 that deal...
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Dec 14, 2009,
If your friend has "5000 guitars" and says he'll let you use one...why not just do that until you saved up the money to buy one yourself that you actually want?
Edwards Les Paul 92
Roland Micro Cube
Marshall JCM 900 4501
Most Guitar Centers will ship their used guitars for around $15 or so......I perused their used site and here are 2 that would do you well.....and not just in the interim(used.guitarcenter.com):

USED YAHAMA PACIFICA ELECTRIC A classic, double-cutaway shape with all the trimmings. The Yamaha PAC112J Electric Guitar features a solid alder body and maple neck with rosewood fingerboard.
Details » Guitars Guitar Center Mayfield Heights
Mayfield Heights, Ohio 44124
440-461-0300
$69.99
GUITARS | SOLIDBODY ELECTRIC
Available In: Mayfield Heights Telephone: 440-461-0300 Manager: Garret Mariast

This one would be better for Metal:

SOLIDBODY ELECTRIC
USED YAMAHA ELECTRIC GUITAR BLK
Details » Guitars Guitar Center Tallahassee
Tallahassee, Florida 32303
850-386-1783
$69.99
Check the pawn shops, Guitar shops and especially the classifieds and Craig's list I have gotten several great guitars worth in the 600 to 700 dollar range on Craig's List for $100 or less. As far as getting an amp and guitar for $100 that will be near impossible. Your best bet is to buy an inexpensive starter pack.

This is probably the best bet out of the less expensive starter packs at GC.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean-Vendetta-XM-Electric-Guitar-Pack-620086-i1452630.gc

This would be the next one up in the price range.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Special-II-Player-Pack-102517984-i1150102.gc

And This

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-IJX30-Electric-Guitar-Pack-104378153-i1372012.gc

It says the Epi sold out but that is probably only online.

They are not the greatest but better than the Squier starter packs (they really suck) and if you can score a coupon or get to GC when they are offering a discount you might be able to walk away for a little less than their asking price.

Several years ago I got my kid a BC Rich Warlock starter pack for about $150.00 he still plays it to this day and loves it. I have given him other guitars over the years but he still loves his Warlock.

John
Page 1 of 2