Page 1 of 3
Hey Pit!

Just thinking about concept albums and thought it would be kinda cool to start a thread about them! SO, just discuss concept albums and tell me about your favourites and what the pllot is!

....Hopefully this won't fail like most of my other threads lol.

My favourite would have to be Year Zero by Nine Inch Nails.

It is basically a post-apocalyptic album. Typical kind of story: the world is nearing to an end and at the end it basically dies.

In NIN's following album The Slip, it is basically a continuation of Year Zero, except the world is "re-starting".

At least this is what i assume...
Last edited by coco-loco at Dec 13, 2009,
Metropolis Part 2 by Dream Theater is my favorite.

The plot is about a man named Nicolas who goes through regression therapy and finds a girl he was once in a past life who was murdered by the man she was engaged to be married too. He then killed himself and shit happens throughout the entire album.
Not much of a plot, but Muse's "Absolution" album has a theme of the end of the world and how people react to it, specifically people's lack of concern for their lives and unfulfillment through inaction. It's also got a big paranoia theme of not being able to control what's around you and the struggle to establish individuality in a cold world where the majority is a mob of mindless people. It's a really beautiful album, lots of great piano work and spectacular guitar. Check it out!
All of Coheed's works.

They are a four album epic(the 5th album will be a prequel) that revolves around Claudio Killgannon. Claudio loses his entire family to an evil orginazation that runs the planet system he lives in(Heaven's Fence). His parents(Coheed and Cambria) are kidnapped and his siblings are killed. He goes out to find his parents but discovers that he is made for a higher calling and must destroy the evil orginaztion and essentialy Heaven's Fence.

It's really confusing, but a pre order of the new album comes with a 300 page novel detailing the entire story.
Quote by handbanana78

^First time I've ever made a funny

Quote by deathcore101

okay Mike my advice for you is, don't sleep with your sister
Last edited by Mackawade at Dec 13, 2009,
I'm gonna get flamed but MCR's Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge is about a guy who's fiancee(i think) dies and he has to kill 1,000 evil men to bring her back and after he kills 999 he kills himself as the 1,000th.
Quote by TwistClock
Metropolis Part 2 by Dream Theater is my favorite.

The plot is about a man named Nicolas who goes through regression therapy and finds a girl he was once in a past life who was murdered by the man she was engaged to be married too. He then killed himself and shit happens throughout the entire album.

Can someone tell more on this?

Like a brief summary of the story.
Obligatory.

One of the greatest albums ever made in my opinion.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by sk8nalmost1394
I'm gonna get flamed but MCR's Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge is about a guy who's fiancee(i think) dies and he has to kill 1,000 evil men to bring her back and after he kills 999 he kills himself as the 1,000th.

Indeed you will get flamed
Is Downward Spiral a concept album?! :O
Quote by slash_GNR666
You sir, are a giant c*** and you finger will forever haunt my dreams.

Quote by Kind, Non-Existant User
Coco-Loco is the finest bit of meat on the butcher block.
Quote by TwistClock
Indeed you will get flamed

Yeah, but it's actually a good album if you get past the fact that it's MCR.
Quote by sk8nalmost1394

Oh wow. That's actually kind of an interesting idea.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Kamelot has few great Concept Albums
Black Halo, and Karma is the other one i believe, both amazing!
Symphony X as Paradise Lost, and the Odyssey and a few others.

Both band u should check out if u have, there amazing imo

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
Quote by The Arsis
Can someone tell more on this?

Like a brief summary of the story.

Well at first he is with the Therapist during the first song, and it shows him going back into his past life. The next song is an overture.

He gets there and learns about a tragedy that happened in a house, concerning a girl and her fiancee. It's probably better if you just go onto Wikipedia, they have a full summary there.
The Forgotten Arm is an album by singer-songwriter Aimee Mann with illustrations by Owen Smith. It was released by SuperEgo Records on May 3, 2005.

It is a concept album, telling the story of two characters who run off with each other to escape their problems, but end up in more trouble than either of them could have imagined.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Forgotten_Arm
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Ride the Lightning is my favorite Metallica album, it's all about death.
Coheed and Cambria as mentioned.
Pink Floyd.
Quote by The Spoon
I think this man wins the thread.

Quote by ZeGuitarist
We have a winner.
Kid A by Radiohead is about the life of the first human clone. Has one the best opening songs of any album. Pink Floyds latter albums were also concepts. Almost every Mars volta album is to.
Iced Earth have a lot of them. Also, one of the best concept albums is Sabbat's Dreamweaver.

Quote by Wikipedia
Dreamweaver is a concept album based on the book by Brian Bates - The Way of Wyrd; The album demonstrated Walkyiers deep held beliefs in Wyrdism, Anglo-Saxon spirituality, Celtic mysticism and paganism.
The Wall by Pink floyd is pretty good also.

About a guy who puts up a Metaphorical wall to shield himself.
Quote by sk8nalmost1394

Wow i like this album but I dont think I ever knew it was a concept album haha

A bunch of my favorites have been posted such as Coheed and Cambria's saga, Metropolis pt.2, and Absolution, but also I'd say The Wall and The Black Parade
Dark Side of the Moon & Wish You Were Here- Pink Floyd.
Prometheus: The Discipline of Fire and Demise- Emperor.
Planetary Duality- The Faceless.
"Two Suns" by Bat For Lashes.
According to the press release, Two Suns is "a record of modern-day fables exploring dualities on a number of levels – two lovers, two planets, two sides of a personality," bringing reflection about "the philosophy of the self and duality, examining the need for both chaos and balance, for both love and pain, in addition to touching on metaphysical ideas concerning the connections between all existence."

In Two Suns, Khan also presents an alter ego named Pearl, described by the press release as "a destructive, self-absorbed, blonde, femme fatale of a persona who acts as a direct foil to Khan's more mystical, desert-born spiritual self."
Tommy
The Wall
Sgt. Pepper's
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
Quote by ctb
"Two Suns" by Bat For Lashes.

is that her latest one? I really need to get it now that I've read that.
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
Quote by The Contagen
No shit?

Oh I'm sorry. What's It about? I know as much that Trent Reznor was living In Charles Mansons house during the recording of the album...i think...
The Wall will always be my favorite concept album, but there are some other great ones out there like:

The Human Equation-Ayreon
Quadrophrenia-The Who
Scenes From a Memory-Dream Theater
Terra Incognita-Roswell Six

There are a bunch of other ones out there, you just have to find them.

WIZ?EDIT: ^Dammit, how did I forget Ziltoid?
Last edited by wizards? at Dec 13, 2009,
Relient K's new album "Forget and Not Slow Down." I guess is isn't necessarily a concept album, but every song kind of flows into the next and the songs follow the theme of someone going through all of the emotions of a painful break-up before finally getting over it and emotionally preparing to move on.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Rebel Scum
Kid A by Radiohead is about the life of the first human clone. Has one the best opening songs of any album. Pink Floyds latter albums were also concepts. Almost every Mars volta album is to.

I don't think that it was actually meant to be a concept album.

Quote by coco-loco
Oh I'm sorry. What's It about? I know as much that Trent Reznor was living In Charles Mansons house during the recording of the album...i think...

I see your a Manson fan......well you should be kissin The Spiral's ass....if it weren't for that and some other records by TR there'd be no Manson.

The Spiral is about going to the lowest of the low that you could possibly imagine. Hurt is about the character taking the journey of The Downward Spiral committing suicide.
It's good to have a whole album tell a story every now and then...

Two that come to mind right now, since I just gave them a listen, are My Arms, Your Herse and Still Life by Opeth. I think the first is about a man who dies and watches his lover undetected as a ghost. He begins to feel that she isn't really grieving his death and perhaps that she never loved him. The album follows the seasons, starting in spring and eventually leading back. A side note is that the last words of each song is the title of the next, which helps give it a flowing feel.

Still life is about a man who is banished from a town essentially ruled by the church for not sharing their faith. He returns to see the only person he still cared about - Melinda. However before their story book ending, they are discovered and Melinda is murdered for associating with the banished man. After he takes revenge, the man is captured and given the choice to repent or be executed.
Obligatory gear list
Guitars
Ibanez SZ4020 w/BKP Miracle Man set
Cort X-11 w/EMG 85+81
Tanglewood TSB58 HB w/BKP Nailbomb & Cold Sweat
Epiphone SG Prophecy w/Seymour Duncan/Ibz
Basses
Indie Swamp 4
Ibanez BTB 775 PB
Amps
Engl Screamer 50
Wait, no-ones said king diamond yet.

Them, Abigail, The Puppet Master, Give me your soul... Please, Conspiracy, Abigail Part 2, and his others are all fantastic.
Quote by Highway60Bob
is that her latest one? I really need to get it now that I've read that.
Yup. It was just re-released with a DVD and some more songs. The previous one was Fur and Gold.
White Pony by the Deftones (I can't really tell you the concept but I can say it's about a drug user.)
Colors - BTBAM
Page 1 of 3