Do you guys think it was dumb of me to put D'addario 15 guage on my acoustic.
They **** with the action a little , but i'm not sure of what i can do to fix that besides take the strings off.
Other than that, they are great for solo/lead , which is the majority of the acoustic i play sound absolutely amazing. Chords could sound better, but anyways what do you guys think
Didn't even know you could buy 15s. I am not sure I would chance the extra tension on the neck with a set that thick. At the very least, you should probably bring the guitar in for a set-up since the nut slots probably aren't wide enough, and the neck relief will need to be altered.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
most guitars will be damaged by such strings, and not just the neck relief. on most guitars heavy strings will cause belly bulge and can pull off the bridge, because few (none i know of) guitars are braced to withstand that much string tension. any guitar that might be braced for that much string tension will be heavily braced, and that changes the sound.

if you can afford throwaway guitars, you could use your 15's, but roaminingbard13 is correct - in order for those heavy strings to move freely, you'd need to recut your nut slots.
Last edited by patticake at Dec 13, 2009,
Why are you asking AFTER you did it? Seems silly to me.
Why anyone would need strings that thick on a guitar are beyond me... I guess if you needed the volume but if you need that much more, wouldn't you get a different guitar...
Doesn't seem safe to put strings that thick on...especially if you had rather light strings earlier...
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
Quote by patticake
most guitars will be damaged by such strings, and not just the neck relief. on most guitars heavy strings will cause belly bulge and can pull off the bridge, because few (none i know of) guitars are braced to withstand that much string tension. any guitar that might be braced for that much string tension will be heavily braced, and that changes the sound.

if you can afford throwaway guitars, you could use your 15's, but roaminingbard13 is correct - in order for those heavy strings to move freely, you'd need to recut your nut slots.

That's the most important part right there. A lot of guitars these days aren't built for 15's or even 14's for that matter. You'll probably want to take them off.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Like roamingbard13, I didn't even know that such strings existed.

As has already been suggested, I would side with caution and remove them.

By the way, how thick is the low E on a set like that? 60? 61?
Quote by tom183

I don't believe they do, at least for guitars. The heaviest acoustic strings D'Addario makes are 14 gauge. I would guess that the TS has the EXP15 strings, which aren't actually 15 gauge strings. Either that or he didn't buy acoustic guitar strings.
true, but for a guy who was primarily interested in getting thicker strings on his guitar, he could use 'em.

Quote by GC Shred Off
Those are for a resonator.
Quote by tom183

As has already been suggested, I would side with caution and remove them.

By the way, how thick is the low E on a set like that? 60? 61?

The 15's and 16's that I know of are for Baritone guitars. They use something between like 15-18's. Really depends on the scale and what kind of standard tuning you use for Baritone. The most common are A-A, B-B, or the standard E one octave below a standard guitar.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by B3L!AL
Do you guys think it was dumb of me to put D'addario 15 guage on my acoustic.
They **** with the action a little , but i'm not sure of what i can do to fix that besides take the strings off.
Other than that, they are great for solo/lead , which is the majority of the acoustic i play sound absolutely amazing. Chords could sound better, but anyways what do you guys think

Solo/lead work is far easier with a lighter gauge of string. How on earth can you perform bends with .015"s? You may have a richer, fuller sound, but IMO this isn't the way to achieve what you're looking for.
Hey it is your guitar do what you like with it if in time the neck has a problem well it is your problem. Please keep us poasted on how the neck holds up under the extra stress. As it is obviously something others are interested in, judging by the amount of negative comments you have recieved. I have worked on one simple rule it is my guitar & i'll try what i want to & if i destroy it well at least i have a nice piece of wallart with a decent story to tell. LOL If you never try you will never know.

Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Last edited by Dix_Fix at Dec 14, 2009,
Ha, i knew it wasn't a good idea.
It's a cheap acoustic, but as of recently is the only guitar i really have.
I already told you guys that they are electric, not acoustic strings.
Their not rediculously thick and aren't that bad on the bridge, and like i said it's a cheap acoustic. I'm having fun with it while it lasts, i can play the shit out of it, but thanks for your comments everyone, even if they were negative.
you also said the strings were 15 gauge, so everything i said still applies. btw, just went through all the d'addario strings and didn't see any 15s.

Quote by B3L!AL
Ha, i knew it wasn't a good idea.
It's a cheap acoustic, but as of recently is the only guitar i really have.
I already told you guys that they are electric, not acoustic strings.
Their not rediculously thick and aren't that bad on the bridge, and like i said it's a cheap acoustic. I'm having fun with it while it lasts, i can play the shit out of it, but thanks for your comments everyone, even if they were negative.
I can say that I think the only time 15 would be ok is if you were using certain drop tunings where it wouldn't put a massive amount of strain on the guitar. You would have to calculate the lbs of pressure that would be on those tunings and stuff thought to know if its safe or not though....
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
Quote by patticake
you also said the strings were 15 gauge, so everything i said still applies. btw, just went through all the d'addario strings and didn't see any 15s.

I believe TS has made a mistake in identifying his strings. What did the package that your strings came in look like?