for recording a full band??? im going to buy a nice 99$ MXL usb recording mic with it too, so anyone know a really good sound card that will do for recording??? preferably PCI slot?

PS: this is just for some nice quality demos, we arnt going full out studio stuff and individually recording the instruments for songs, this is just for demos in nice quality
Guitars
Paul Reed Smith: Mike Mushok Baritone w/BKP Juggernaut's
Ibanez: RG321MH

Alvarez: MD-60C
Amp
Randall RM100C
Stock BlackFace Module
Modded 2004 XTC 101B Module
Stock Treadplate Module
Last edited by IbanezRG2EX1 at Dec 13, 2009,
1. Try Best Buy or something, ask around there. Or even Guitar Center. The Pit might not be the best place for serious advice.

2. Don't post the same thing twice next time.
If you could turn into a member of the opposite sex, would you make love to your former body? Think about that.
Quote by paradox_047
1. Try Best Buy or something, ask around there. Or even Guitar Center. The Pit might not be the best place for serious advice.

2. Don't post the same thing twice next time.

yea i got it, i know the rules, ive been here forever and never broke a rule yet, sorry
Guitars

Amp
Randall RM100C
Stock BlackFace Module
Stock Treadplate Module
I wasn't planning on reporting you or anything, haha. Just being an ass.
They do have sound cards that allow you to plug in your instruments directly to them, you might want to take a look at those. You could probably get a better quality out of those.
If you could turn into a member of the opposite sex, would you make love to your former body? Think about that.
Quote by paradox_047
I wasn't planning on reporting you or anything, haha. Just being an ass.
They do have sound cards that allow you to plug in your instruments directly to them, you might want to take a look at those. You could probably get a better quality out of those.

alright haha, thats not gona work for my band though, only if i was just recording myself playing guitar, all im looking for is to record demos at high quality for my band
Guitars

Amp
Randall RM100C
Stock BlackFace Module
Stock Treadplate Module
Quote by bnull24
Creative soundblasters are some of the best.

That's so wrong.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by strangedogs
That's so wrong.

Eh, I don't know much about recording, but I know that for general use, they are.

But after looking into it further, yeah, there are better cards that are geared specifically toward recording, I didn't know that. So yeah, forget the soundblaster, maybe a Creative X-Fi Pro Audio, but I don't know if they are any good or not (and they are expensive).
Last edited by bnull24 at Dec 13, 2009,
Look at this link:
http://www.tweakheadz.com/soundcards_and_audio_interfaces.htm

I would suggest the M0Audio Delta 1010LT with a few preamps
If you can go with an external interface with USB or Firewire, you will usually get something with on board preamp so you don't have to buy extra gear. Something to look into there is the PreSonus Firestudio Project.
Quote by moody07747
Look at this link:
http://www.tweakheadz.com/soundcards_and_audio_interfaces.htm

I would suggest the M0Audio Delta 1010LT with a few preamps
If you can go with an external interface with USB or Firewire, you will usually get something with on board preamp so you don't have to buy extra gear. Something to look into there is the PreSonus Firestudio Project.

Hm.. ok... im new and inexperienced at recording so can u explain a lil more at what these do??? can i hook up a recording mic to it etc??
Guitars

Amp
Randall RM100C
Stock BlackFace Module
Stock Treadplate Module
The MAudio Delta 1010LT is what I use in my set-up.....it's PCI. The AD/DA convertors are very high quality. Also, the card is capable of recording 8 channels simultaneously, it has midi in and out....etc.

Yes, you can hook up a mic to it.....the breakout cable has 2 XLR jacks and the others are RCA jacks, you'd just have to use an adapter.

The original sound card that was installed on my computer was a Soundblaster, and the Delta 1010LT made a BIG difference on the recording quality.....not to mention the sound quality of the midi synths.
Quote by Afterhours
The MAudio Delta 1010LT is what I use in my set-up.....it's PCI. The AD/DA convertors are very high quality. Also, the card is capable of recording 8 channels simultaneously, it has midi in and out....etc.

Yes, you can hook up a mic to it.....the breakout cable has 2 XLR jacks and the others are RCA jacks, you'd just have to use an adapter.

The original sound card that was installed on my computer was a Soundblaster, and the Delta 1010LT made a BIG difference on the recording quality.....not to mention the sound quality of the midi synths.

hmmmmm alright... what are the price ranges on it??
Guitars

Amp
Randall RM100C
Stock BlackFace Module
Stock Treadplate Module
The M-Audio Delta 1010 LT goes for around $200 however you will also have to buy preamps for the RCA style inputs unless you only plan on using the two preamped XLR inputs on that breakout cable.

I would further suggest something along the lines of a PreSonus Firestudio Project that offers on board preamps for the 8 inputs on the front panel. This simply plugs into the firewire port on any desktop or laptop computer.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-FireStudio-Project?sku=241723

I've seen that product go for around $400 but normally its at $500
Quote by moody07747
The M-Audio Delta 1010 LT goes for around $200 however you will also have to buy preamps for the RCA style inputs unless you only plan on using the two preamped XLR inputs on that breakout cable.

I run my M-Audio Delta 1010LT through a mixer, which has preamps for the instruments and phantom power for the condensor mics.
Quote by moody07747

I would further suggest something along the lines of a PreSonus Firestudio Project that offers on board preamps for the 8 inputs on the front panel. This simply plugs into the firewire port on any desktop or laptop computer.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-FireStudio-Project?sku=241723

I've seen that product go for around $400 but normally its at $500

ouchhhh 500$.. i guess this will be an investment project... haha, ok which one is the better buy then?? M-Audio Delta 1010 with buying the preamps, or the Firestudio with the preamps already in?
Guitars

Amp
Randall RM100C
Stock BlackFace Module
Stock Treadplate Module
Quote by IbanezRG2EX1
ouchhhh 500$.. i guess this will be an investment project... haha, ok which one is the better buy then?? M-Audio Delta 1010 with buying the preamps, or the Firestudio with the preamps already in?

Or you could get a Firepod second hand for $200-300, it's the older version of the firestudio, still very good.

The Delta doesnt have enough input options to record a full band. You'll get a max four channels input, so no drums.
Quote by Beefmo

The Delta doesnt have enough input options to record a full band. You'll get a max four channels input, so no drums.

It's actually 10in/10out.......
8x8 analog I/O includes 2 balanced XLR and 6 RCA inputs.

This only really matters if you are planning to record separate tracks simultaniously.
You are able to assign a separate channel (track) to a specific input source.

Typically without the multi channel capability, when you record a full band, even though everything is mic'd, all input sources are sent down a single channel to a single recording track.
Last edited by Afterhours at Dec 15, 2009,
Quote by Afterhours

Can imagine those 6 RCA inputs would be of much use though...
Quote by Afterhours

This only really matters if you are planning to record separate tracks simultaniously.
You are able to assign a separate channel (track) to a specific input source.

Typically without the multi channel capability, when you record a full band, even though everything is mic'd, all input sources are sent down a single channel to a single recording track.

No we are not going to record separate tracks, just us playing together, no mics on the drums or anything like that, just guitars, bass, drums, and vocals out of 1 pa speaker, so i just want to make sure this will do that, how many mics will i need to record us all at one time?? 1?? or more?
Guitars

Amp
Randall RM100C
Stock BlackFace Module
Stock Treadplate Module