Hello! I've been playing for a few months now and I'm trying to work on really getting down all the basics before I become concerned with things like playing faster (which I understand comes with practice). I have this problem of doing accidental pull offs and I'm not sure how to put a stop to it. When I do chromatic runs, when I start from the low E and move to the high E I always hear extra noise that results from pulling off (usually with my pinky). When I run from the high E to the low E my index finger is slightly brushing up against the previous string with mutes everything (if I raise my index finger to intentionally avoid muting then the same problem happens, a bunch of pull offs).

Is the answer to this to mute better? I've tried going insanely slow and it doesn't make a difference, I've tried working on using just enough pressure to get the note to ring out in an attempt to make lifting my fingers off more gentle, but I still get the notes ringing every time. This is all with a clean tone, if I add any kind of distortion it sounds much worse. I've tried lifting my finger off from different angles and at different speeds. I don't want to increase the tempo for chromatic runs until I get this little problem fixed, and it's driving me crazy. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
You can try muting better. You've only been playing a few months so all you really need is time and it will disappear as you get better.
Let's say I'm doing a chromatic run 1-2-3-4 starting from the high E moving onto the B. When I fret the B string first fret my index finger is brushing against the high E which keeps that string from ringing, so when I do chromatic runs starting high and moving low I can mute the previous string no problem. I don't know if I should be doing that but I figured I would stick with it since it solves half of the problem. If someone tells me that will lead to poor technique I'll make sure I work on stopping that.

And thanks for the previous replies so far! I'm hoping it goes away as I get better, but I can't help but feel like it's a direct problem, one I should be working on fixing now (and it's annoying hearing those extra notes when I don't want them).
Hail,

For the moment I feel that you would most likely be better off learning the two note per strings pentatonic scale boxes (at least a few of them) than playing a four note per string pattern. Sometimes when you first start you crowd yourself with four note per string patterns and hopefully you can rectify the problem by simplifying your left hand. I wouldn't say that it's muting that is an issue, but more like that you need to develop the muscle memory that comes with a clean playing technique.

Regarding the scales, I can help you out personally if you do not have a teacher that can help you and if you do not already know them. I have a few very good "get rich quick" like ideas for new players if you are interested
I would also like to add that 1,2,3,4 chromaticish patterns aren't very musical, and have very few true uses later on.
Quote by SHolcomb
Let's say I'm doing a chromatic run 1-2-3-4 starting from the high E moving onto the B. When I fret the B string first fret my index finger is brushing against the high E which keeps that string from ringing

That sounds normal. Most of your little problem will go away with more experience on the guitar if you look at it from a logical standpoint. But if you have any problems it's best to search Google & UG, and if you absolutely can't find anything, post here.
if your gain is really high, it will make those pull offs sound louder, you could try lowering your gain.

if this is happening on your clean channel, then slow down your playing to fine tune where the pull off is occurring and then adjust your technique.