Ok so I have a relatively small room and when my 6505 is on volume of about 1 on the lead channel I get this hissy buzzing sound. Will a noise gate fix this? If so whats a good noise gate around 100USD?
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey Windsor head

Custom Ibanez RG
ESP EC-1000
Wait, you're telling me that putting a noise gate in front of the amp will make the hiss stop even though it's coming from the amp?
Gear:
Agile Septor Pro 727 EB Nat Ash
ESP/LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Line 6 Spider Valve HD100 Head
Vox 4x12 Cabinet
Quote by Jsteele1408
Wait, you're telling me that putting a noise gate in front of the amp will make the hiss stop even though it's coming from the amp?

Yes it's hard to believe I know but noise gates actually DO gate noise...
Are you sure it's coming from the amp? Does it happen even when your guitar is unplugged? Usually hissing is caused by unwanted feedback and general noise from the pickups, especially when the guitar is near electronics. Single-coils are the worst offenders there. If the noise happens when your guitar is unplugged it's the amp; if it happens with the guitar plugged in, it's noise, and a noise gate will fix it.
Quote by Jsteele1408

when you put the noise gate in the x-pattern it also gets rid of hiss coming from the amp, as the noise gate is going through the amps effects loop

my band

ESP LTD Viper 400
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Squier Fat Strat

Peavey EVH 5150
Peavey XXX Head
Roland Cube 30
Carvin 4x12 Cab
B-52 4x12 Cab

Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
EH Big Muff Pi (Russian)
Quote by AxSilentxLine
Yes it's hard to believe I know but noise gates actually DO gate noise...

I guess you didn't understand what I was talking about. Noise gates only reduce noise of things that are placed BEFORE the gate itself, not in the amp afterwards.

However, this helpful and intelligent user explained how it works:

Quote by 2112swartz
when you put the noise gate in the x-pattern it also gets rid of hiss coming from the amp, as the noise gate is going through the amps effects loop

Thanks, Swartz.
Gear:
ESP/LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
Vox 4x12 Cabinet
Quote by Jsteele1408
I guess you didn't understand what I was talking about. Noise gates only reduce noise of things that are placed BEFORE the gate itself, not in the amp afterwards.

However, this helpful and intelligent user explained how it works:

Thanks, Swartz.

Well its not my fault that you didn't know what an X pattern is.. Did you know that pedals can be placed in the loop of an amp?

To TS, the NS2 is an under-rated pedal and should work very well.

EDIT: I don't mean to come off like an ass it's been a long day at work.......
Last edited by AxSilentxLine at Dec 13, 2009,
Quote by AxSilentxLine
Well its not my fault that you didn't know what an X pattern is.. Did you know that pedals can be placed in the loop of an amp?

To TS, the NS2 is an under-rated pedal and should work very well.

I knew what an effects loop is, but given that I've never owned an amp with an effects loop, I didn't know that pedals inside the loop changed the Amps output. Which is why I asked the question...

EDIT: In response to your edit, same here. I was actually about to type the same thing. Haha.
Gear:
ESP/LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
Vox 4x12 Cabinet
ok now hug.
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey Windsor head

Custom Ibanez RG
ESP EC-1000
The Isp Decimator, last gate you will ever need to buy.
1987 Ibanez Jem 777LNG #124
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
1987 Ibanez RG550 Road Flare Red-R
Marshall JCM-1 W/Lead 12 Cab.
Wampler, Ibanez, MXR, Morley Pedals
Quote by AxSilentxLine

the decimator runs circles around the ns-2 and in comparrison doesn't touch your tone.

and I've said this before, but it looks like it's time for a UG reminder...
find the infamous "x-pattern" in the ns-2 maunual. Oh wait, it's not there.
while you're at it, look at it's intended use... you'll be supprised.

whatever, trust your tone to luis mcguimaraes's paint doc.
Quote by GrisKy

the decimator runs circles around the ns-2 and in comparrison doesn't touch your tone.

and I've said this before, but it looks like it's time for a UG reminder...
find the infamous "x-pattern" in the ns-2 maunual. Oh wait, it's not there.
while you're at it, look at it's intended use... you'll be supprised.

whatever, trust your tone to luis mcguimaraes's paint doc.

My was directed to the statement that "The ISP is the last noise gate you will ever need"

I agree that the ISP is a slightly better pedal than the boss, but it is most certainly not the be all to end all.
Quote by AxSilentxLine
My was directed to the statement that "The ISP is the last noise gate you will ever need"

I agree that the ISP is a slightly better pedal than the boss, but it is most certainly not the be all to end all.

Actually as far as I'm aware, there aren't any better noise suppressors around.

For around $100 you can get an ISP Decimator and yes, they are vastly superior to NS-2's. /thread
Quote by AxSilentxLine

If we're talking about the stomp box version, I'm inclined to agree; however, their rack mounted unit, the "pro G," in unbelievable live or in the studio, and when considering ONLY pedals, I'd still put it in a class of it's own... better than the hush even the smartgate.
Quote by GrisKy
If we're talking about the stomp box version, I'm inclined to agree; however, their rack mounted unit, the "pro G," in unbelievable live or in the studio, and when considering ONLY pedals, I'd still put it in a class of it's own... better than the hush even the smartgate.

Yeah but the Pro G is well over Ts' $100 budget lol
I have an NS2 and definitely need it with my XXX. The high gain channel makes all tons of noise when I have the volume up and even touch the strings. Mine crapped out on me twice already though. First time it got stuck on mute. Sent it back and it was repaired by Boss under warranty. Broke again a month later. I sent it back in and am waiting.
Ihor

<current gear>
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
Boss NS-2, TU-2, MT-2, DS-1, SD-1