well, when i started college, i knew my intent was to get a degree in either music education or performance (and it still is). so i began with enrolling in classical guitar class, as well as getting a private instructor. i certainly didnt have the eventual goal of becoming a concert classical guitarist, but i figured it was a good idea and would give me a higher level of discipline.

however, over the last year and a half, i think ive realized a few things. for one thing, my teacher got me more into reading through jazz and bebop charts, and thats become the majority of what i practice, because it is what i enjoy playing the most. also, correct me if im wrong, but i think theres a tendency towards electric guitar players getting more work? i rarely see classical players getting work outside of, maybe places like hotel bars and a few restaurants around town.

dont get me wrong, i think studying classical music is highly beneficial to any studying musician of any instrument, and i would definitely say my technique has seen a lot of improvement.

so considering all of this, is there much of a reason to further my classical studies?
when i realized i preferred folk, blues, jazz and rock, i stopped playing classical. i still play classical occasionally, but i usually do it on a steel string. after years of playing nylon string and feeling vaguely unsatisfied, i discovered that i mostly like the silvery tones of steel strings, only occasionally wanting to hear nylon.

as far as work goes, i found most paid work as an electric bass player because i don't play electric guitar except in an acoustic style, but my friends who got the most paying jobs play electric. i've gotten only a little paid work as an acoustic guitar player - in fact, i did a 3 day benefit years ago that i actually bought my first electric guitar for because of environmental factors (we played on the beach on catalina for 3 nights).
Why not both?.
In my experience one of the largest potential traps for the professional classical guitarist is the risk of becoming musically isolated, working as a classical soloist only.
Classical provides many skills that can be utilised in electric band styles and I know musicians who work in both fields but I strongly suggest that if you want to work both fields you start getting experience in both, sooner rather than later.
There is a lot of theory in classical guitar. You will learn more about music and such from playing a classical guitar than you will sticking to power chords with an electric. In the end though, you can learn this theory and style in anything you play. Some people can have great progressions and use of scales in electric playing, or you can have someone that just sticks with power chords and is rather generic.
I would personally say that doing both is a good idea. In the end though, I always think its good to go with what you like the most. I always see music as more as either a hobby or a lifestyle rather than a job and work. I feel bad for the people that see music as any other school subject that you just sit around and force yourself to learn.
I guess what I'm saying is be sure to have fun with your playing and not just look at the things that you need to try and learn for knowledge sake. But you are right, I rarely see much classical being played out in the world. Maybe you would find more in a country other than the US though?
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
you can learn theory playing electric guitar, and there's a lot more to being a versatile player than power chords. there's all sorts of interesting and intricate jazz, blues, full speed death metal, a wide variety of historical styles taken from other instruments.
You presumably have a faculty adviser at college, and/or a faculty member in a music-related department whom you respect and whose opinions you can solicit in matters of this sort.

What have these persons suggested, in response to your questions?

What has your teacher suggested, in response to your concerns regarding jazz and bebop vs. classical, work prospects for classical guitarists, the value of continued classical guitar study, etc.? Admittedly, your teacher may be biased, but that doesn't mean s/he can't provide at least some valuable perspectives on these issues.

If you haven't sought out advice from these people, you should do so now. If you don't feel it would be productive to approach any of these people with your questions, perhaps you have a more fundamental educational problem than whether to continue with your classical studies.

My apologies if this response sounds dismissive or unhelpful. It's just that sometimes the best help one can provide is to steer the questioner toward the people from whom he ought to be seeking the answers to his questions.
--
Michael
I have to agree wit Michael. Cherish the people you have in your life around you. They are resources that you should take advantage of. Don't let them go to waste. They will be able to help influence you and help you find where you want to go.
Quote by Chaos Nil
There is a lot of theory in classical guitar. You will learn more about music and such from playing a classical guitar than you will sticking to power chords with an electric.

um, what about me saying that I read through jazz and bebop charts suggests that i only play power chords.

if anything, its the opposite. with chord voicings in jazz, you start eliminating 5ths, and eventually even roots, thus none of the "power chord" is left.
I was more thinking that all of that was towards your classical guitar playing, rather than electric. My bad.