ok so i've got a randall rh50t head and when i put the level on max on the OD channel it cuts the signal way down after a few notes and just gets crap tone. i got a schematic from randall and found out that someone had soldered an incorrect value capacitor into that circuit of the amp and i replaced it but still no dice. you guys have any ideas?
Check the rest of that section, but it sounds like your PT can't handle the current draw.
Quote by dreadhead100
ok so i've got a randall rh50t head and when i put the level on max on the OD channel it cuts the signal way down after a few notes and just gets crap tone. i got a schematic from randall and found out that someone had soldered an incorrect value capacitor into that circuit of the amp and i replaced it but still no dice. you guys have any ideas?
That seems like "squish" to me. Not a problem with the PT*

There's a resistor in the power supply section that drops the voltage to the plate circuits in the PI* and preamp section. When you hit the preamp tubes with a large signal, the voltage at that point drops considerably. The filter capacitor can only hold the voltage up for a short time, when you're drawing more current out, than the resistor feeding it can allow in.

It would be complicated, but possible to add voltage regulation to that point. But I kinda doubt you'll like it all that much better. This is not something to be attempted by an amateur. Maybe not even the average amp tech with a year or two of practical experience.

It will always be possible to get settings that sound bad. If is sounds bad with the level at max, don't put the level at max?

*Power Transformer.
*Phase Inverter.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
^ I like that answer better. Didn't think of that, and I wasn't really satisfied with my PT solution.

I think the easiest solution though is 'don't dime the volume on the OD channel.' I can't imagine you really need to do that with a 50 watt amp, and if it works fine on all the other settings, there's no need to get an expensive repair.
Tbh, Colin, if i owned the amp myself I'd probably experiment with stiffening up that node in the PS or adding regulation. But having a tech do this would make something like this costly. It's not that hard, really. But there would be a good bit of trial and error. And you never know if it will be useful or a step in the wrong direction. A little squish, like sag, can be a good thing. Too much and it's really annoying. And just how thick does one need the overdrive to be before it just becomes ridiculous, yeah?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.