started to clean up a little a few months ago but lately i've been a busy wreck so it got a little derailed. i'm back now though and want to finish cleaning and making it better around here.

Quote by occub
you should put together a solid, well thought out group of super threads, linked in a sticky. Quality of your posts and recordings speak for themselves......

exactly what i hope to have assembled sometime soon, which is where i need you guys to chip in.

Post links that you'd like to see linked in this "Super Thread". If the thread doesn't exist and you feel you have the ability to create a well thought out version yourself please do so.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
I dont know what you'd think to it but I would kind of like to see a R+R Recording Product of the Week sticky/linked thread. It could detail anything from audio interfaces, to VST Plugins, to hosts, to mics..anything useful in common music recording. Its main objective would be to bring new stuff into the spotlight.

I think it would help the forum cover new ground in that, it could introduce products and plugins and ideas people haven't come across. Rather than asking the same old same old, it brings in something new. It says 'hey, I think this relatively unknown or unmentioned tool is cool, what do you guys think?' without being the same old reaper/audacity/(insert thoroughly repeated thread topic here) discussions.
I'd be willing to write them myself, and i know there are people here who might love to get involved.
What do you think?
Last edited by richwatkinson at Dec 14, 2009,
Here's my .02........

I think this forum could use more "UG's Ultimate guide to........." much like the amp sim thread, which has screen shots, clips and detailed explanations. Some people out there shouldn't attempt to make one, if you're unsure then yes... you!

So you can have the "Ultimate Guide to blah blah" times whatever and they can float around with the other threads, you then can link them in a sticky like this post #2
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1151225, so if someone needs a thread, look it up. Keeps the top clear and not a giant clusterf*** like some other forums. If you want a thread stuck up top, there's a "stick for me" button on top of the OP.

-Thread ideas -
I would love for Mr. Catharsis to do a "Anatomy of a Song/Recording" or something. Like what you have (raw clips of instruments), what you hear (dont like, or like), what you do(cut or boost where why) and what the end result is.

-Monitors-
Active, passive, price range, importance of "learning" them, importance of having some at ear height, monitor/ear testing......... can you hear the difference in this clip? Can you pick out the "problem" freq of said instruments together? Examples of phase cancellation....

-Individual D.A.W. threads-
-All about Interfaces-
-Mic's -
and why people say god himself would use a SM57, when in reality there's a lot of options.
-Why young AE's are so salty and use a lot of expletives- (just kidding)
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
^ +1 to all of those ideas. those topics alone would provide so much info that I'd probably never leave. I especially like the Anatomy of a Song/Recording idea, that would definitely help out and teach me/many others how to properly mix.
Quote by occub

Hey, me and Gareth have worked hard to get this withdrawn and cynical.

I'd like to see a ban on all "Which interface" threads by creating a superthread with all relevant current options/things that are a good snag second hand, because at the moment I seem to be handing out a lot of the same advice on that front.
Quote by occub
Here's my .02........

I think this forum could use more "UG's Ultimate guide to........." much like the amp sim thread, which has screen shots, clips and detailed explanations. Some people out there shouldn't attempt to make one, if you're unsure then yes... you!

So you can have the "Ultimate Guide to blah blah" times whatever and they can float around with the other threads, you then can link them in a sticky like this post #2
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1151225, so if someone needs a thread, look it up. Keeps the top clear and not a giant clusterf*** like some other forums. If you want a thread stuck up top, there's a "stick for me" button on top of the OP.

-Thread ideas -
I would love for Mr. Catharsis to do a "Anatomy of a Song/Recording" or something. Like what you have (raw clips of instruments), what you hear (dont like, or like), what you do(cut or boost where why) and what the end result is.

-Monitors-
Active, passive, price range, importance of "learning" them, importance of having some at ear height, monitor/ear testing......... can you hear the difference in this clip? Can you pick out the "problem" freq of said instruments together? Examples of phase cancellation....

-Individual D.A.W. threads-
-All about Interfaces-
-Mic's -
and why people say god himself would use a SM57, when in reality there's a lot of options.

Fantastic idea (bolded). Kind of like a 'session with *insert name here*' Where they show you their tracking and production process from start to finish. Something so sequential and step by step would help a lot of people start being able to get from where they are to where they want to be.

The forum kind of needs a revamp in that, it becomes more a repository of knowledge ?
Quote by Beefmo
Hey, me and Gareth have worked hard to get this withdrawn and cynical.

I'd like to see a ban on all "Which interface" threads by creating a superthread with all relevant current options/things that are a good snag second hand, because at the moment I seem to be handing out a lot of the same advice on that front.

If you wanted to start something along those lines, im sure more people would be happy to contribute. those "which interface" threads are a little tedious and very overabundant.

i think the place i would like to see this going is like the Gear thread occub linked to or the central hub in GB&C (notice how i mod both those forums and i wasnt in charge of either of them). the idea is to have lots of "official" threads that provide a solid support structure, but only one or two stickies.

one of the things i think needs to stay (and hopefully be more active) is the gear reviews thread. Bill got that one off to a great start, and good reviews of stuff has turned me on to things i wouldnt have tried myself.

EDIT: as for the product of the week, well thats too short of a time frame. yeah sure there are lots of products out there, and lots of people can contribute, but a 1 week turn-around is a lot quicker than people realize. product of the month would work better, or even bi-weekly. gives the product and review a bit more exposure and gives people more time to put into writing something up.
nynejoe and I have been talking about assembling an Ableton Live tutorial, since so many products come with the lite version and nobody knows how to use it. It's a super useful tool that will solve a lot of people's problems, so I feel like it should be addressed here.

Maybe for product of the week, it could be every other week (but we'd still call it product of the week for simplicity's sake). There are a TON of products, I think we'd be alright with that time frame. There should be an archive with it for sure.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by nightraven
product of the week would be really interesting and useful

Seems like a lot to keep up with but im sure someone has the time.
i personally prefer the product review thread pinned at the top.

I would like to see the following pinned in a main thread:
http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

Please keep my pinned UG Recording Videos post up as I like to edit and add links as I make videos.
I think we can all agree on , (should it even be introduced) a 'product of the ?????' would be best slowed down to a month, at fastest fortnightly. I realise now how much more time this allows for a full detailed review. Much less realising 'ohhh, i should have included this!' afterwards.

This tweakheadz site looks great, i cant beleive i never came across it before
well some of you might have noticed that i made an official thread for interfaces. ive got some reviews in there already (taken from another sticky) but i want more. like, ive youve tried anything out, write a review and i will put it in the thread.

you will also notice the thread is currently closed. thats because i would like a few more reviews before i open it up for posting. going to reserve a bunch of posts anyway, but the more it has to start, the better. since it is closed, if you have a review you want included PM me or something and we can sort out how to get your review to me.

also, moody, i hope it is ok that i used some of your reviews. used some of bill's as well, and he hasnt been around lately so i hope he wont mind. if you want yours taken down, let me know. or if you want to edit them at all, let me know.
We should make a sample library thread! That way we can all share our favorite free sample libraries, either with actual download links, or links to websites with a ton of libraries.

I know that a few users, including myself, have sampling instruments in our DAWs and I think we could all benefit from some new sounds!

If someone gives me the OK I can start putting the thread together.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
We should make a sample library thread! That way we can all share our favorite free sample libraries, either with actual download links, or links to websites with a ton of libraries.

I know that a few users, including myself, have sampling instruments in our DAWs and I think we could all benefit from some new sounds!

If someone gives me the OK I can start putting the thread together.

go for it.
Can we make a sticky that says "DON'T RECORD DIRECT INTO YOUR MIC PORT" so that we can avoid having 30 topics a day on "Hey, I'm recording direct into my mic port and..."?

I'm getting a little tired of answering that question with the same answer (buy an interface) everytime.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
I think there should be a thread along the lines of 'Crit My Mix' where people can post their songs and others can give feedback on it. Of course there's the Original Recording's section but most people don't give feedback on the mix at least most I've seen.
Quote by Drummerrrrr?
I think there should be a thread along the lines of 'Crit My Mix' where people can post their songs and others can give feedback on it. Of course there's the Original Recording's section but most people don't give feedback on the mix at least most I've seen.

I was thinking the same thing
Should havce one of these https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=891308

for R&R, with less emphasis on the forbidden, more just useful big threads for people to go for.

In it could be links to the VST amp sim, that drum program thread I made that used to be sticked (probably needs updating if anyone can be bothered), links to all the various DAW threads, etc......

Also:
- Song of the week/month? One for each sun forum, would just need an nominations thread and mod to run it and sticky the chosen song.
- The FAQ maybe needs updating
- The contests forum is really dead, which is a shame because contests are great. Maybe just have one "official" contest running at a time, in the main forum, which would get more attention and such.
Quote by Drummerrrrr?

Any possibility of this?
Quote by Drummerrrrr?
Any possibility of this?

sure, start it up and i'll sticky it for now.
Quote by Drummerrrrr?

Exactly what i was thinking.

I have no interest in hearing some 14-year-old shredder cover the Sweet Child Of Mine solo, but a dedicated 'How's My Mix?' forum would be incredibly useful.

A stickied thread would be nowhere near as useful as a dedicated sub-forum, it'd just become like the 'Band Logo' thread where every other post is "OVERLOOKED!!1"
Last edited by kyle62 at Feb 23, 2010,
Quote by kyle62
I have no interest in hearing some 14-year-old shredder cover the Sweet Child Of Mine solo, but a dedicated 'How's My Mix?' forum would be incredibly useful.

A stickied thread would be nowhere near as useful as a dedicated sub-forum, it'd just become like the 'Band Logo' thread where every other post is "OVERLOOKED!!1"

Well, lets see how this goes before we decide to open up a dedicated subforum that never gets used: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=23340940