Page 1 of 2
You guys probably get these threads all the time, and if there are some good threads out here, just point me that way and I will check them out.

But, I am getting my first guitar for Christmas and it will be an electric. My mom will spend around $300 total, including amp and all, but I was thinking of asking her just to get the guitar and I will take care of the amp and other necessities.

So, what guitar would be best under $300. I enjoy rock music, Skillet being my favorite band, and will probably try to play that genre once I get the basics down.

Also, what amps are good? I'm probably looking to spend under 150 on an amp, but can maybe go a bit higher.

Also, I've read about pedals and like the idea, but would it be worth it to get one now?

I'm just looking for some suggestions, tips for getting my first one. I'm going to avoid GC as I have already had a bad experience with them and I'm not really interested in the starter packs. I'm not against buying a used one either.

Thanks a lot!!
Last edited by hallsgator at Dec 14, 2009,
mmm well as a beginner i found that tremolo brides were only distractions to me and so i guess avoid those at first . Its all really a matter of buying a guitar that feels/sounds good for the money. just make sure y ou have a tuner and metrognome, those are some of the best tools ever.
Quote by Twist of fate
Once, I watched Star Wars episode 4. I timed myself so that I came right when the death star blew up.

Afterwards, Han Solo said "Great shot kid, that was one in a million!"
This should get ya going no problem, best bang for your buck for a beginner.
Guitar - http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG120-Electric-Guitar-103576583-i1167511.gc

Amp - http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Spider-IV-15-15W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp-105482871-i1470458.gc

ps - the guitar looks better in white, not red, lol
My Guitars
Squire Affinity Strat
Ibanez RG 350 DX
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Ibanez AEG20E
Tradition Guitars S2000F Pro
For the guitar i would say to try out guitars for that price range and see what feels best, if you cant try things just get a low end ibanez you cant lose. Dont waste time with trems, on low end guitars its a such a waste of time.

For the amp get a roland cube. Cheap godly. Dont get a Line 6 or Marshall MG.

Dont get effect pedals just yet. The cube will have everything you need. If you need to get some effect get a wah or a decent delay. Have fun and learn by experience hope i helped.

- Joe
Yeah, as a beginner effects pedals are really a waste of money. I agree with Joe on the guitar, if you are confident you will be serious about it I would put forward a little more money for a good guitar. For your style of music I believe an Ibanez would work the best, they are inexpensive gut they are great guitars. I own one and have actually played the one I recommended to you before. Yes, stay away from the MG series, horrible amps, and I don't know anything about the Roland Cube, I have a Line 6 and for a beginner, you can't beat it.
My Guitars
Squire Affinity Strat
Ibanez RG 350 DX
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Ibanez AEG20E
Quote by PatheticMedic
Yeah, as a beginner effects pedals are really a waste of money. I agree with Joe on the guitar, if you are confident you will be serious about it I would put forward a little more money for a good guitar. For your style of music I believe an Ibanez would work the best, they are inexpensive gut they are great guitars. I own one and have actually played the one I recommended to you before. Yes, stay away from the MG series, horrible amps, and I don't know anything about the Roland Cube, I have a Line 6 and for a beginner, you can't beat it.

I agree with you about the ibanez's. But i wouldnt recommend a cheap guitar with a trem to a noob, all that will end up happening is the guitar going out of tune all the time.

Line 6 is ok i guess... to a certain extent. They sound like a computer and the only good channel on them is the insane. And they break ALOT.
Bugera 6262

Roland Cube

BC Rich Warlock with EMG 81 85

Ibanez rg770dx
Quote by RetroBasement
I agree with you about the ibanez's. But i wouldnt recommend a cheap guitar with a trem to a noob, all that will end up happening is the guitar going out of tune all the time.

Line 6 is ok i guess... to a certain extent. They sound like a computer and the only good channel on them is the insane. And they break ALOT.

Well I was trying to stay within the $300 price range. And yeah, I thought it was only mine that broke a lot but I guess not...mine just broke for the 3rd time, lol, its ok though, I have a Bugera V22 on the way.
My Guitars
Squire Affinity Strat
Ibanez RG 350 DX
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Ibanez AEG20E
Thanks for the advice guys, it helps a lot.

I did find a used Ibanez GIO GAX70 at a pawn shop for $135. It is in good condition and I like the look, but is it a decent enough guitar?

Thanks!
Last edited by hallsgator at Dec 14, 2009,
I dunno, I've never really messed around with one before, I actually found one in a house I helped gut for habitat for humanity but it was really messed up...just like everything else we found in that house.
My Guitars
Squire Affinity Strat
Ibanez RG 350 DX
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Ibanez AEG20E
Quote by hallsgator

I did find a used Ibanez GIO GAX70 at a pawn shop for $135. It is in good condition and I like the look, but is it a decent enough guitar?

Thanks!

My neighbor has a GIO Very VERY good guitars i use it all the time, great neck go for it man seriously.
Bugera 6262

Roland Cube

Ibanez rg770dx
Quote by PatheticMedic
Well I was trying to stay within the $300 price range. And yeah, I thought it was only mine that broke a lot but I guess not...mine just broke for the 3rd time, lol, its ok though, I have a Bugera V22 on the way.

Ya they break all the time the modeling chips in there suck.. But anyways great call on the bugera i was skeptical at first but these amps are the real deal man, you'll love it
Bugera 6262

Roland Cube

Ibanez rg770dx
Yeah man, its my Christmas present this year, I had to get it back ordered but from what I hear its worth the wait.

EDIT: The master volume control on mine actually shorted out this time. Last time it was the channel volume and before that the input. I am so tired of fixing this thing, lol.
My Guitars
Squire Affinity Strat
Ibanez RG 350 DX
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Ibanez AEG20E
Last edited by PatheticMedic at Dec 14, 2009,
Quote by PatheticMedic
Yeah man, its my Christmas present this year, I had to get it back ordered but from what I hear its worth the wait.

ha funny you say that, my 6262 head was on back order for like half a year.. But when i got it dude it like sounds so good. Just a wall of sound. Great rock tones and soooo much gain lmao
Bugera 6262

Roland Cube

Ibanez rg770dx
Quote by RetroBasement
ha funny you say that, my 6262 head was on back order for like half a year.. But when i got it dude it like sounds so good. Just a wall of sound. Great rock tones and soooo much gain lmao

Lol, wow, thank God mine is only on back order until the 18th, I still have a chance of getting it by Christmas that way, I don't think I could wait another 6 months.
My Guitars
Squire Affinity Strat
Ibanez RG 350 DX
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Ibanez AEG20E
Quote by PatheticMedic
This should get ya going no problem, best bang for your buck for a beginner.
Guitar - http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG120-Electric-Guitar-103576583-i1167511.gc

Amp - http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Spider-IV-15-15W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp-105482871-i1470458.gc

ps - the guitar looks better in white, not red, lol

I'd recommend against that Ibanez unless you want to become an expert at tuning. Tightening one string makes all the other strings go slightly out of tune. Also, the truss rod is a metal bar encased in ... plastic. Don't ask me how I know that

Get whatever color you want, but if you get black your fingerprints will always be on it.
Right here we go.

just under $300 we have http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RE2EX1-Electric-Guitar?sku=519783. Amazing guitar for the price, fixed bridge so no tuning issues. Decent sounding and a great neck. Thing with this guitar is that it is a decent quality instrument and you will be able to use this throughout your guitar career, when you need a change in tone you will be able to switch out the electronics and it will be an even better guitar. This guitar will literally last you a lifetime.

For amp choices a

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Micro-Cube-Combo-Amp?sku=481169

or

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-15X-Amp?sku=487030

I have been playing for over 9 years now, i own some very expensive gear and i still play through my Roland Cube when i practice at home, amazing little amps and again will last you a lifetime as a practice amp

Generally avoid ibanez Gio guitars, try and get a fixed bridge ibanez RG like the one i posted as they are double the quality of the gio's and not that much more expensive!
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
www.rondomusic.com
For $300 you can get an awsome guitar from there. I would suggest getting a Douglas Spad then you can use the rest for a Peavy Vypyr or that roland cube and a pedal or two. But if your set on buying the amp on your own you should deffinately look at the Agile Dauntless.
I'd consider checking for used gear on your local craigslist. I've scored some crazy deals on there that I'd never even get close to had I gone to a retail store to buy.

For example...a $200, like new, Japanese Strat.

It's worth a shot. Like anything you buy, a lot of value is lost as soon as you take it home from the store. If you let someone else take the equity hit you may be able to get a $500-600 guitar lightly used for $300.
Edwards Les Paul 92
Roland Micro Cube
Marshall JCM 900 4501
I would find someway to play for a few months to a year before you buy a guitar. Preferences in terms of fret size, neck radius and neck profile take some time to develop, and there's no way you can just guess what the right thing is going to be. Beg, borrow or steal but start on someone else's guitar.

Never buy a cheap guitar with a trem bridge. Just don't do it - you'll have enough trouble getting in tune as it is. Fixed bridges only.

When you do start buying, spend twice as much on the amp as on the guitar if you want to sound good.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Quote by hallsgator

Thanks!

How does it feel to you? Looks dont mean crap! And for a beginner, dont worry about brand names. Find one that feels good and sounds half decent through your amp..
you sound like you're already well on the right track by wanting to avoid a starter pack. a yamaha pacifica 112v (yeah, it has a trem, but those strat-style trems are easily blocked if it doesn't stay in tune; it's more floyds that i advise avoiding on cheap guitars) coupled with something like a roland microcube is cool, but if you're willing to spend the whole $300 on the guitar and spend your own money on the amp, you might be able to do better.

fx pedals: as you suggested, probably not much point, when you're starting off you'll probably get a modelling amp, and they normally have quite a few fx built-in already.

the peavey vypyr would also be worth considering in the amp stakes, though i haven't tried it yet, and the vox valvetronix. I'm not familiar with skillet, but those amps and that guitar should cover most styles of music.

I also disagree with spending more on the amp at your budget. you're not going to get that much better of an amp by swapping the budgets round and spending $300 on the amp (especially for the stuff you play, if i'm right in assuming that skillet is kind of modern rock in tonality), but a $300 guitar will normally be quite a bit better than a $150 guitar. At the kind of money even bigger D is talking with his kickass rig, he's entirely correct, but I don't think it is a good idea for beginner gear. Those roland cubes (by the way, avoid the 15x and 20x, as they don't have amp modelling- either stretch to the 30x or go with the micro, assuming you don't need too much volume and it's only for practice) are fairly nice as it is, and being modellers have access to a pretty wide range of tones.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I guess my point with the amp budget is that some of those like $150 amps just plain have no balls. Once you get some practice in, you're going to want to play with others, and they just can't cope with a drummer. You'll be inaudible.

As a minimum amp rig, I'd get a crate powerblock, a small Yamaha monitor to run it through, and whatever the current cheap but decent modeler pedal is. The nice think about that is that all the pieces will be useful as backups, recording gear or PA gear later if you stick with it.

Edit: darn, Crate got rid of the power block. I guess now in 10 years mine will be "vintage" Also, I realize I'm suggesting $450 of amp to someone who wanted $150, but I just can't in good conscience recommend some of those little things.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

Last edited by Even Bigger D at Dec 14, 2009,
oh yeah, i'm not suggesting they'd be up to gigging or anything but they're cheap, and they're versatile. They let the beginner see what type of tones he/she likes before forking out the big bucks.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
oh yeah, i'm not suggesting they'd be up to gigging or anything but they're cheap, and they're versatile. They let the beginner see what type of tones he/she likes before forking out the big bucks.

It seems to me that would be the major upside of a modeler of some sort. You could find out, for example, if you like the Mesa Recto tone without having to find one and crank it up.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

+1 on the Roland Cube...I'd say go for 20X or maybe 30X. Best amp in the world for a beginner. It's loaded with effects, decent tone, and is plenty versatile volume- and tone-wise.

For guitar go for something with more than one pickup, maybe an ESP LTD of some sort or a Mexican Strat (maybe HSS?). Get a guitar that feels, looks, and sounds good to you. Everything about your guitar matters, because believe it or not anything about the guitar will affect your playing in some way.
Doomsday Arsenal - alternative/progressive
Fender '08 Am Std Strat w/ CS69s > MXR Classic 108 Fuzz > JH-1B Wah > MXR Dyna Comp > EHX Big Muff Pi > Maxon OD9 > MXR Phase 90 > Ibanez CS9 > MXR Carbon Copy > Boss TU-2 > Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Mexican HSS strat isn't a bad idea at all. I'd want to pull the trem down on the body though.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

Quote by Even Bigger D
It seems to me that would be the major upside of a modeler of some sort. You could find out, for example, if you like the Mesa Recto tone without having to find one and crank it up.

yep, definitely. though that can be something of a double-edged sword- if you don't like the recto model, you aren't sure (until you've tried the real thing) whether it's the recto you don't like, or if it's the model you don't like because it's just a poor imitation of one. But at least a modeller should give you some idea of different types of guitar tone etc. and let you play a wide range of stuff.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yamaha 112v with a Roland cube amp is a good start. The digital amps are good for beginers as you get a good range of sounds / effects and also don't have to turn the volume miles up.

If you know someone who plays guitar well then ask them to come along with you. They will be able to find a good starter guitar and avoid any guitars with manufacturing/ setup issues. Remember when you first start it is better to spend more on the guitar rather than amp as a poor guitar through a good amp is harder to play and sounds none to good. A good guitar through an OK amp sounds fine and is easier to play while you are starting to learn.

Have fun
Quote by PatheticMedic
stay away from the MG series, horrible amps.

Dude, for a beginner, the MG series isn't entirely horrible. So many people seem to instinctively hate the MGs, and I'm beginning to think that half the people haven't even played the amp, they are just repeating what some metalhead thought when they bought a marshall and decided that it didn't bring the br00t@lz. At least the MG models that I have have played are quality amps that do what they were made for. I have never had one break on me, and it doesn't start to break down when turned up, but why would I turn up a practice amp that high anyway? Tone is purely personal. You either like or dislike it.
Listen to my songs on my profile pretty please

Quote by SamhainGrim
I wish a had a vagina to go with my penis...:[
My first guitar was a GAX 70, it was a huge piece of shit!!! Traded it in a month later for a strat. Have someone that plays go with you if possible to play it without bias.
In the Valley of Vung
Wow, thanks so much for all the suggestions.

I don't really know anyone who plays, so I'm kinda on my own and just go off the opinions of the people working at the stores. That's also why I come here to get some suggestions on guitars. I know it is all about what feels good to me, but I just need somewhere to start looking and this has helped immensely.
I just found a Jackson DK2M on Craigslist. It is listed for $300, but retails for $500+

Good? Bad?
Quote by hallsgator
I just found a Jackson DK2M on Craigslist. It is listed for $300, but retails for $500+

Good? Bad?

Floating Floyd + newbie = wailing and gnashing of teeth

Don't do it, man! A stoptail Japanese Jackson would be a passable starer guitar though.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

Quote by Even Bigger D
Floating Floyd + newbie = wailing and gnashing of teeth

Don't do it, man! A stoptail Japanese Jackson would be a passable starer guitar though.

Haha, alright, thanks.
Quote by hallsgator
Haha, alright, thanks.

Floating Floyds are miserable to tune and set up. Every time you adjust the tension on one string, the bridge moves and the tuning of the rest change. Every time a string stretches a bit, the bridge moves and everything goes out of tune. Setup and restrings are likewise an exercise in everything moving on you. And with liscensed floyds like that one, the problems are all just a little bit worse. When you're new to the guitar, these problems are really hard to deal with.

I've literally seen grown men reduced to tears because of floating floyds.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

http://www.rondomusic.com/al-20002ts.html

Can't go wrong for rock with a Les Paul. Rondo's Agile brand are very nice, unreal for the price. Only thing is you need to get the guitar set up by a tech and you'll be in business. However I would say that any new guitar regardless of brand will need a setup. Save some cash man, go Agile and grab your favorite amp with the leftover money.
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Quote by catrolean
Dude, for a beginner, the MG series isn't entirely horrible. So many people seem to instinctively hate the MGs, and I'm beginning to think that half the people haven't even played the amp, they are just repeating what some metalhead thought when they bought a marshall and decided that it didn't bring the br00t@lz. At least the MG models that I have have played are quality amps that do what they were made for. I have never had one break on me, and it doesn't start to break down when turned up, but why would I turn up a practice amp that high anyway? Tone is purely personal. You either like or dislike it.

MG's are terrible, the Roland Cube has it beat in every way. I have owned both. Distortion on the MG is fizzy and shocking, ironic, considering it's a Marshall. The Roland has options for their distortions, most of which are good.
Page 1 of 2