So after four years of playing guitar, I just recently started to get used to standing up, and I encountered a problem. I set my strap about medium height, and I can access the bottom four strings easily. It gets kinda sketchy on the A string and nearly impossible on the E string. I have to bend my wrist a lot to reach my thumb around the neck. Also, I tried "star power" but it was extremely bothersome to keep it up, and it made my playing worse. I have a Telecaster copy, and thought that maybe the strap hooks aren't quite set up for that kind of playing.

And while standing, it's very hard for me to finger this chord:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
---9------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
---5------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

thats a chord?

EDIT: i hope you mean 7 and not 5.. thats a one hell of a stretch
Gibson Les Paul Jr.
1984 Marshall JCM 800 4210
Voc AC30c2
Last edited by RockinRyan13 at Dec 14, 2009,
Hold the guitar at an angle, or find a height that is comfortable. I play mine around my waistish.
Adjust your strap length till you find something comfortable.

There is no 'one-size-fits-all' solution to your problem.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by RockinRyan13
thats a chord?

EDIT: i hope you mean 7 and not 5.. thats a one hell of a stretch

Nope. You fret the 5th fret with the index and barre your pinky over the 9th fret
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

2 options here:

1. raise your strap to the level it would be if you were sitting down.

2. practice.

1.5. combination of 1 and 2 with the strap being a bit lower.
if you can do it while sitting then, obviously the guitar needs to be at the same height as it is when you sit.

like said, eventually with practice, you can lower it. but for now, you'll want to play like tom or dave.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011