Found these two amp heads, and honestly, they seem way too good to be true. I've heard some pretty good things about Bugera despite their relation to Behringer, though. Can anybody give me an opinion on these? They seem new on the market, and I can't find any reviews or demos of them.
My heart beats in 4/4, not the other way around.

Do your part. Join TVTropes.
Bugera is a company of its own their products are simply built in the Behringer factory and distributed by Behringer, so they're not Behringer designs which saves them from a lot of the reliability issues that plague Behringer designed products.

The BVP Classic 5500 is a decent enough head and does offer a nice bit of control for something so cheap, think of it as a budget version of a Gallen & Kreuger head. The Nuke on the other hand is a nice gimmick, but pretty much unnecessary considering even Bugera don't build a cab that can handle all 3600 watts
there is no way it is 3600 rms
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90
there is no way it is 3600 rms

That's what I thought too. But I read the stats and that's what they're claiming. You can run it at different power levels though to run with different cabs.

From memory the reasoning behind the design was to be able to power a whole stage worth of bass cabs off one head.
I'd rather biamp
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

I remember when people were laughing at me asking if I was compensating for something when I bought a 1000W amp
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Quote by Weybl Himself
Bugera is a company of its own their products are simply built in the Behringer factory and distributed by Behringer, so they're not Behringer designs which saves them from a lot of the reliability issues that plague Behringer designed products.

Yeah, but almost all bugera and behringer designes are just reverse engineered clones of other companies' designs, so the quality issues with behringer come from terrible components and poor craftsmanship. If bugera shares factories with behringer, it stands to reason it also shares components and workers, hence it will have all the same issues as behringer.

I'm not bashing either company, I'm just saying that for all intents and purposes these two are the same company.

Quote by Weybl Himself
That's what I thought too. But I read the stats and that's what they're claiming. You can run it at different power levels though to run with different cabs.

From memory the reasoning behind the design was to be able to power a whole stage worth of bass cabs off one head.

Where did you read these stats? the manual lists 3800 watts peak signal bridged at four ohms. So being as optimistic as possible we really have an 1900 watt rms amp in bridged mode. Of course page 6 of the manual actually warns against operating in mono bridged mode , so that means most folks concerned with safety would end up using this to power two 8 ohm cabs in stereo mode in which case you might have a 400w rms per channel amp with two channels.

Again, this is optimistic in one sense, because I've been ignoring the fact that behringer/Bugera doesn't have to justify it's methods of measuring wattage to any standard and I'm sure we all suspect that any independent tech measuring the peak mono bridged wattage at 4 ohms on this amp sure as heck wouldn't come up with 3800w in the first place. So we can just bump all those other "usable" wattage figures that I've provided down a notch as well.

I'm not slamming the company, I own lots of behringer stuff, I really want to buy a bugera 1960 to run bass through (they list it as 150watts in the ads when the rms wattage is really 100) It's just these stats are totally bogus and we shouldn't perpetuate this BS to people that might actually be interested in buying one of these amps but are too lazy to do their own research.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Dec 14, 2009,
Thanks for all the help, guys. I think my question has been answered. Seems like the VBP5500 might be an alright amp, but the obscene 3600-watter is probably a bunch of BS.
My heart beats in 4/4, not the other way around.

Do your part. Join TVTropes.