What separates a Fender Standard from a Squier, a Highway One from a Standard, an American Standard from a Highway One, an American Deluxde from an American Standard and etc. D: Sorry, this has been confusing me for a while.
I know fender standatrd is Made in mexico and american standard is made in the USA. mexico have less consistant quality, but some of them are as good if not better than american made. And mexican made have "worse" electronics. BUt those can be replaced with american electronics and you still spent less.

wow my grammar sucks. a lot of those periods should be commas.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Last edited by the_perdestrian at Dec 14, 2009,
theres kind of a hierarchy. as the price goes up the quality of the instrument goes up... mostly.

a base level squier is usually pretty crappy. the MIM fender standards are decent but the hardware isn't as solid. american fender standards have better hardware, pickups, etc...
the deluxe and highway one models are usually about the same as the american standards but have some kind of extra stuff (push button switches, special pre-amps, hipshots, hotter pickups, etc...)
I'm a pretty newbie bassist and I'm thinking about getting a Fender Standard P or J for my next bass. From what I've heard, I don't want to buy it online and I want to actually try it out at a store before purchasing, but I don't know too much about basses T_T How can I tell if the one I'm playing is good?
Fender MIM's are great, some people find their quality inconsistent, but almost all the ones I've played have been comparable to MIA's, or a little less so when it comes to quality. Of course its best to try it out first, and make sure it feels good in your hands.

If its not of good quality, its pretty easy to tell. Signs of shoddy quality control would be irregularities in the finish, warping or defects in the neck or fretboard, poorly cut or high frets, electronic problems such as a disconnected pot or a grounding problem, badly aligned tuning pegs, a poorly cut nut, a misaligned bridge, etc...

If your at the store and your playing a dud, you'll know. Also, see if they have more basses in stock in the back (still in their packaging), and ask for them to find the one you want and see if they'll open it up and let you try it out. Don't settle for the floor model if you don't have to.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by JacoVictorKing
What separates a Fender Standard from a Squier, a Highway One from a Standard, an American Standard from a Highway One, an American Deluxde from an American Standard and etc. D: Sorry, this has been confusing me for a while.

The Highway One is a sort of stripped-down version that is at least 85% made in the U.S.A. The pickups are made in Mexico. The Highway One has a nitrocellulose matte finish.

An American Standard is 100% made in the U.S.A. and has the newer Vintage High Mass bridge. It has a higher quality of wood in the body and neck.

The American Deluxe has a few cosmetic touches: abalone inlays on the fretboard. The American Deluxe Precision Bass also has a double Jazz humbucker pickup along with the traditional split pickup of the P-Bass. The EQ is also more sophisticated. It is 100% made in the U.S.A.

The Squier is Fender's cheapest line and is made overseas.
Quote by FrankieHCO
What the hell's a MIM?

Made in Mexico.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic