I just bough a Gibson Les Paul Studio off of ebay for 660$. The auction says its a studio that has been and refinished and it has burstbuckers in it. idk if the burstbuckers are stock or after market. My question is which studio is it? Ive found a few variations of the studio, the regular les paul studio, the faded one with the maple top, the faded mahogany, or the studio lite. the serial number dates it to 1998. i would like to figure out wich one it is just to know what exactly im playing and to know the value of the guitar. thanx for any help.
here's the pic from the auction it hasn't arrived at my house yet. (its an x-mas present)

if u cant see the number in the pic its 91581371
Last edited by GuernZila at Dec 14, 2009,
kinda weird. no headstock pics?
Gibson Les Paul Jr.
1984 Marshall JCM 800 4210
Voc AC30c2
The only variation of the Studio that existed in 1998 was the regular one. They had 57s at the time so the Burstbuckers are aftermarket. That's a pretty cool looking guitar, I like it 'naked' like that.
Quote by Nike-Man
you bought a guitar without running the serial #?

i checked the number before i bought it.

Quote by RockinRyan13
kinda weird. no headstock pics?

i edited a pic of the head stock with the number
Last edited by GuernZila at Dec 14, 2009,
burstbuckers are definitely aftermarket, I don't believe they were even available at the time. i recall the burstbuckers first being released as a custom pickup with the gary moore signature. then available to purchase on their own in the early '00s (a big deal was made about them at the time).

anyway, that guitar looks sweet, I love the blonde top, it looks really elegant imo, especially with the dark back.
To expand on that, Burstbuckers are a gibson designed humbucker. You still have Gibby pickups in there, just upgraded. Looks like a nice find to me. Grats.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
so anyone have any thoughts or input about les paul studios? like fellow owners, past experinces, and mabey pros and cons? thanx
the only con i can really see would be the pickups (which have been replaced, and is really opinion anyway), and i can't stand vintage style tuners. i'd replace those, but thats up to you also. looks good!
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
early 90s studios are pretty cool. you always come across them in used guitar shops and they always sound and play awesome.
I have an Alpine White Studio with an ebony fretboard and it is a great guitar. Studios are a bargain, as the only difference between them and a Les Paul Standard is that the Studios don't have all of the binding on the body. It sounds like you have a first-rate guitar. Enjoy it.
Quote by FatalGear41
I have an Alpine White Studio with an ebony fretboard and it is a great guitar. Studios are a bargain, as the only difference between them and a Les Paul Standard is that the Studios don't have all of the binding on the body. It sounds like you have a first-rate guitar. Enjoy it.

I've never held a studio, but in all the pictures I've seen it appears the body is thinner as well?
Edwards Les Paul 92
Roland Micro Cube
Marshall JCM 900 4501
If it was refinished it's probably not the original color. This could have been any studio that had a opaque finish even a gold top so it's possible you'll never find one listed in that color. I think if it was a transparent finish they never could get the stain out of the wood and would have to repaint it with another opaque finish not a clear coat. What you want to do is when you change strings see what color is under the pick ups in the pick up cavity. Most people that refinish guitars never change the color in the cavities If any of the original finish is somewhere on the guitar it will be there. I agree it's a 91 and Burstbuckers are Gibson pups just probably not the originals. For $660.00 it's not a bad deal especially if it plays and sound good.

John
if a refinishing job is done correctly you can defnitely get a transparent stain out of the wood. i see it all the time when people refinish their historics.
Okay I've got your answers, they only made regular studios back then, so it was a regular one. The pups that came/come stock with studios are 490r and 498ts. The burstbuckers are after market but still very nice pups.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
so i cant tell in the pics (those are from the auction i dont have it at my house yet) dose this have and ebony fret board? also if u look in the third pick at the heal of the neck and in the 4th pic at the back of the head stock it seems to have a maple neck? if it had these thing it would have a rather bright sound compared to some other les pauls wouldn't it?
It's probably just a transparent butterscotch kind of finish. but it is odd that the neck isn't the same color as the body.
ya i did some research and i guess some of the early 90s les paul studio had maple necks and ebony fretboards. they just used parts on the studio that weren't cosmetically up to par to be used on the customs but all of the electronics and hardware are the same as the standards of there time.