I'm looking to get a small tube amp, preferably a 1x12 combo that can connect to external speakers
I'm looking for a nice warm clean tone and built in reverb would be nice too
any suggestions on an amp with these specs? my budget could stretch to anything under $1000 btw
oh and i play with pedals too, so i'm looking for an amp that could take pedals pretty well, particularly distortion and ODs
MUST....BUY.....MORE.......PEDALS.....!
Fender Twin Reverb is as loud and clean as they get, but it's a 2x12. It's still very small however.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. Do it. /END THREAD lol
Squier Classic Vibe 60's Stratocaster - Candy Apple Red
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top
-SD pickups
Boss OS-2
Boss RC-2
Way Huge Pork Loin
Vox AC4TVH and Cab
Fender Super Champ XD
FENDER HRD. NO CONTEST.

No, not biased at all...
Fender Highway 1 Strat
Agile Septor Pro 725

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Axe-Fx Ultra

Trust me, I'm a medical student
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Fender Twin Reverb is as loud and clean as they get, but it's a 2x12. It's still very small however.

WRONG

Fender Super Twin from the late 70's. No reverb though
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
any high wattage fender silver face with the ultra linear transformers will be very loud and very clean.

hiwatts are also very loud and clean.
Fender deluxe reverb, i had one and sold it for a vox, (mostly because the son of a bitch wouldn't break up for me, its very very clean) it was knock-the-paint-off-your-walls loud,and ice pick sharp and clean.

if you're willing to go with a 2x12, i HIGHLY suggest the twin reverb though, since its even louder, and even cleaner. the twin reverb is the loudest amp i have ever owned aside from my vox. its pretty brutal
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Dec 14, 2009,
Quote by R.D
WRONG

Fender Super Twin from the late 70's. No reverb though

not wrong, actually.
I can't think of a louder cleaner amp.
^That's what he was getting at - the super twin is even louder than the regular twin reverb. 150 watts, ultralinear. It's what I'd describe as horrifyingly clean.
Quote by Roc8995
^That's what he was getting at - the super twin is even louder than the regular twin reverb. 150 watts, ultralinear. It's what I'd describe as horrifyingly clean.

Actually, they did a 200Watt One!!!!
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Quote by Roc8995

this. its ****in scary

the only thing ive ever played that can be comparable to the brain scrambling, ice pick to your ear clean of half cranked 150 watt super twin is a Music Man 130hd. its only 130 instead of 150, but its a head so it can be played through an 8x12 stack...

to give an example of the horror, Mark Knopfler used them at outdoor shows during the Making Movies era. he needed an amp that was crystal clear at outdoor show volumes... he bought a music man 130 hd... *shivers*

Quote by R.D
Actually, they did a 200Watt One!!!!

there is literally not one person on the planet who needs THAT much headroom. thats ****ing crazy!
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Dec 14, 2009,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
budget?
genres?
home or gig?
head or combo?
new or used?
current gear? (Carvin V3 - are you keeping that?)
closest city?

traynor and rivera are good amps to look at too in your budget range.

my budget is anything below 1000 usd
i play mainly improvisational jazz/rock to best describe my style, i like a good crunch, but i also like fluid gain easy for sustain and prog metal
i'm looking for a 1x12 combo, i'll be willing to go 2x12, but my purpose for this amp was to find a more compact and lighter amp than my v3 quarter stack. and i'd prefer to buy new, unless i can find whatever i'm suggested used around the Houston area. I am keeping the V3 too, just looking for a combo with a sweeter clean channel. The V3 is quite sterile, i favor a warmer and sweeter tone for my cleans (if that makes any sense)
Then the Twin isn't really for you. I'd suggest a Deluxe Reverb if you don't need a lot of headroom and a Carvin X100B if you do need a lot of headroom. It's more British flavored but the cleans are great.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by cheaprocker010
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. Do it. /END THREAD lol

disagree, this was my first tube amp

i loved it at first but after a summer of playing on twin reverbs you learn to realize that the hrd really lacks character and dynamics. not to mention the overdrive channel is useless

in your case i would go for a fender deluxe reverb

if you look used you can probably score one from the seventies for under a grand, but the reissue is great too if you cant find a vintage one

if this isnt powerful enough look into the twin reverb

i also suggest looking into all fender products for a solid clean tone but stay away from the hot rods and devilles

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by parkerfly123
I'm looking to get a small tube amp, preferably a 1x12 combo that can connect to external speakers
I'm looking for a nice warm clean tone and built in reverb would be nice too
any suggestions on an amp with these specs? my budget could stretch to anything under $1000 btw
oh and i play with pedals too, so i'm looking for an amp that could take pedals pretty well, particularly distortion and ODs

If you're really in the market for a clean amp that can take pedals well, I would suggest the Roland Jazz Chorus 120. It's a solid state amp, but it's possibly the best solid state amp available.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRQJgZVxRX0

Let Johnny DeMarco be your guide as you laugh at his comical faces.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

My Fender 112 weighs about 60lbs, so a 212 is not really too much bigger. Hiwatt makes some great loud clean combos as well but I love the Fenders.
the jc-120 was too sterile for my tastes

i guess i'll just try a bunch of fenders and see which one fits the bill
Quote by al112987
any high wattage fender silver face with the ultra linear transformers will be very loud and very clean.

hiwatts are also very loud and clean.

this. The silverfaces are really cheap. my local shop had a SF twin with Electro Voice speakers for $900.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Dec 22, 2009,