Why are people social creatures? Why do people need a sense of fulfillment that only can be attained through the company of another? Why must we need this feeling? Everything the society spits at you tells you to be your own person, yet nobody wants that. If one makes the choice to be different, the make the choice to be alone, at least in my experience. That is what I tell myself i want, yet there is this desire for something more, something i don't have. Why?

Is it just the cruelty of life?
I am the only sane person on the planet. Does that make me crazy?

Crank the Mids
It's because you touch yourself at night.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Because if you didn't have a tribe, saber-toothed cats would eat you.

This. We're social creatures because we evolved that way. I thought that was common knowledge.
Actually in Eastern Asia individualism is not stressed to the same level as it is in the Western world, particularly good 'ol 'Murrica. In fact, the opposite is true, they value people who are more or less similar to everyone else.
Because humans are fundamentally weak animals.We have no fangs or claws,no thick fur,we aren't inherently fast or strong,and we aren't that great at climbing or swimming compared to other animals.If we didn't band together we'd just get ripped to shreds by predators.It's our technology and our social cooperation that makes us a successful species,take either of those away and we fail miserably.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
Because humans are fundamentally weak animals.We have no fangs or claws,no thick fur,we aren't inherently fast or strong,and we aren't that great at climbing or swimming compared to other animals.If we didn't band together we'd just get ripped to shreds by predators.It's our technology and our social cooperation that makes us a successful species,take either of those away and we fail miserably.

Basically we're giant ants.
Minus the awesome ability to lift things..

Okay, we're below ants..
also, if you suck socially, you fail to reproduce and pass on your genes.
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
A lot of animals live in packs or groups in order to survive, including humans. Someone in my science class got mad that our teacher considered humans technically animals, I've wondered what anyone else thinks about this.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Quote by Soul Power
A lot of animals live in packs or groups in order to survive, including humans. Someone in my science class got mad that our teacher considered humans technically animals, I've wondered what anyone else thinks about this.

We are animals,we're classified in the kingdom animalia.

Last I checked I wasn't a complex amalgam of algae or a rock,and I'm certainly not a free floating mass of energy.Whoever got mad at that is an idiot.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Bluesy...
If one makes the choice to be different, the make the choice to be alone

I call shenanigans, there are loads of ways to be 'different' in the eyes of society, but there's no need to be alone for that. Being different is just a matter of opinions.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by the bartender
I call shenanigans, there are loads of ways to be 'different' in the eyes of society, but there's no need to be alone for that. Being different is just a matter of opinions.

Don't try arguing with him; he's a crazy opinionated pseudointellectual who almost always quickly resorts to ad hominem when his argument is challenged.
I lost on OP.

oops, my bad, I thought it was the "You Cringe , You Lose" thread.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
We aren't.

I hate you all.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
Quote by the bartender

peer pressure generally plays an extremely beneficial role in the way we develop as people. want friends? do what they're doing. if you're that weird dude in class who tries to be an "individual" by being this its generally common knowledge that you will be lacking in friends compared to the "regular" guy. peer pressure and conforming is basically the way the world runs. go against and you're going to suffer in the end. this is why the phrase "go with the flow" should apply to everything in life
just a thought, but lions are animals with teeth and claws and can fend for themselves, and they are social creatures as well. 'Tis true that one who is not social is less likely to reproduce because they come in contact with less human beings, but that is really only pointing out the obvious. My question pertained to why there is a need to be social that isn't explained so simply. something within us all tells us to group together as opposed to standing alone. There are decisions we all make that pertain to this. We obviously aren't endangered, nor are there any significant predators, except for ourselves.

Calling someone else's thought process false, or lying, doesn't only show your own self superiority, but it proves that you're an arrogant asshole who can't accept, nor think of anything other than what he has been taught or what he can surmise. Just because i haven't found the answers to all of the questions in my life, doesn't give you the right to outright call me an idiot, regardless of what my view may be. I surmise opinions based on observations, not on what others plant in my head like a mindless idiot.

Crank the Mids
Quote by Bluesy...
just a thought, but lions are animals with teeth and claws and can fend for themselves, and they are social creatures as well. 'Tis true that one who is not social is less likely to reproduce because they come in contact with less human beings, but that is really only pointing out the obvious. My question pertained to why there is a need to be social that isn't explained so simply. something within us all tells us to group together as opposed to standing alone. There are decisions we all make that pertain to this. We obviously aren't endangered, nor are there any significant predators, except for ourselves.

Calling someone else's thought process false, or lying, doesn't only show your own self superiority, but it proves that you're an arrogant asshole who can't accept, nor think of anything other than what he has been taught or what he can surmise. Just because i haven't found the answers to all of the questions in my life, doesn't give you the right to outright call me an idiot, regardless of what my view may be. I surmise opinions based on observations, not on what others plant in my head like a mindless idiot.

the fact that in groups we have higher chances of survival, people are strategic hunters that rely on groups, mating is generally based on a social hierarchy. the most powerful are generally in the largest groups, and thats who the women go for.

who the hell are you talking to by the way?

also way to necrobump the hell out of this
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
the fact that in groups we have higher chances of survival, people are strategic hunters that rely on groups, mating is generally based on a social hierarchy. the most powerful are generally in the largest groups, and thats who the women go for.

who the hell are you talking to by the way?

also way to necrobump the hell out of this

I was talking to Holy Katana for calling me a psuedo-intellectual, which i am not. I am merely someone asking a question. My thoughts, nor any of my philosophies are not better than anyone else.

Crank the Mids
Maybe besides our weakness' another reason we are so social might be due to the existence of language. You know it, have been learning it since early childhood, and depend on it every day for your basic needs. If there are no people around you this skill you hold on to so dearly will be useless. And you are so used to using it and connecting to anyone around you on even the most distant levels it would be torture without it. Kinda similar to mono-phobia(fear of being alone). I know a lot of people that get angry when they cant text their friends. The fact that they have this ability to be in contact with at least someone 24/7 makes it a sort of addiction, and you'd never want to go back. They seem to have a type of monophobia where they freak out when they cant get in contact with someone. Crackphones. And it seems to be to be the same with basic language or any communication but less intense.

So my theory is we were forced to be social due to our inadequacies to protect ourselves on our lonesome, then the bonds intensified and continued to intensify through language. Now we are extremely dependent on each other. Not just from language. But also from the society we created with it. We buy our food with it. We organize the entire infrastructure of our society with it. etc...

not sure if that made total sense or is even remotely correct. Im just brainstorming some thoughts. Hopefully you get something out of it.

Also people want to have sex.

And i don't think being different makes you a social outcast. I think if you are deliberately trying to be different then maybe you won't be accepted. No one needs someone that just acts weird and opposite for the sake of being weird and opposite and isn't understandable or cant be related to. Self alienation... But if you are just being yourself and that isn't the social norm I bet you'd have plenty of friends.
I Survived The "Silent Deftone Cocksucking Forum"!-August 15th, 2006
Last edited by dez_cole at Dec 21, 2009,
Quote by Soul Power

Having thumbs and a little bit more gray matter than all the other species on this planet doesn't make us not animals.