I've started playing some more shred-oriented songs, and have also started strengthening my finger, but I have discovered a problem. When I play with my pinky, I can't keep it low on the fretboard, instead it sticks out really high, and makes it less responsive. I've tried different excersises but haven't found any ones that work.

Recommendations anybody?

Thanks!
I wouldn't worry about it too much, watch other guitarists who shred and their pinkies are way high in the air, too!
Quote by rebelmidget
I do believe you just used Blink 182 and hard rock in the same sentence. It would seem you're rather confused.
I have a quote in my signature! And it makes fun of blink-182! I'm cool now!

[Obligatory link to my band's MySpace]
This happens to most people. Practice slowly, keeping it close. And by slowly, I mean very slowly.

It'll be painfully slow, and you'll get bored almost immediately, but it's the only way unfortunately.
lol, same here. I found an old vid of me playing guitar after about 3 months, and my pinky is almost perpendicular to the guitar! the best u can do is have it on the fretboard when u need it. If i need to play something with my pinky, i have no problem. but when its not needed it sticks straight out like a... tree branch.