Page 1 of 2
Guys I play for hours and the strat is a heavy beast and I was wondering if there were guitars that are lighter but have that same single coil sound and shape.

It should have the same shape that a fender strat does because Im so used to playing it, but its too damn heavy to stand with for like 2.5 hours.

Prob a hollow body. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Am I doing something wrong with the way that I play.

I only stand and play and I play for like 2 -3 hours and dont notice the time go bye.

then after im done and i start to move my body and EVERYTHING hurts.

My legs hurt....my shoulders hurt and my picking hand around the elbow is like sore as hell.

Why is my body hurting, when I watch others play for hours?

I stretch before playing most of the time.
Last edited by harkkam at Dec 14, 2009,
An SG is pretty damn light, humbuckers though
Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Epiphone G-400
Laney VC30
Boss DS-2
FYI, strats are one of the lightest guitars out there. Hollow bodies are going to change your sound a lot and aren't necessarily going to be lighter. I suggest sucking it up.
Quote by rebelmidget
I do believe you just used Blink 182 and hard rock in the same sentence. It would seem you're rather confused.
I have a quote in my signature! And it makes fun of blink-182! I'm cool now!

[Obligatory link to my band's MySpace]
I always found Strats to be quite light guitars, maybe thats because I am used to playing a Les Paul. What sort of price range are you looking in?
Quote by Kendawg4TooL
You know you're a bassist when you think a guitar is just some freaky type of short scale, six string bass.

This is The Central Scrutinizer......
I'd suggest you seek guitar stores for strat-like guitars made from different woods.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Go get some Basswood HSS Ibanez if you're that much of a girl. What's your budget?

Actually what kind of strat do you actually have?
Buy a chambered strat body from www.warmoth.com
You can transfer everything else over. They make top quality stuff, and you can get some very lightweight peices of alder chambered out, reduce the weight by alot.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club

I only stand and play and I play for like 2 -3 hours and dont notice the time go bye.

My legs hurt....my shoulders hurt and my picking hand around the elbow is like sore as hell.

Last edited by harkkam at Dec 14, 2009,
i always thought that fender makes some pretty light strats, my 50s reissue for example is light as hell... i think they have light strats in their product range, i suggest just checking out some fender strats, maybe yours is built like a tank, ive seen strats that weigh about a ton
To be honest, I'm going to tell you to suck it up and get used to the weight, a strat is nothing. I jump around for 2 hours with a Les Paul, and a strat would be even more of a walk in the park. Before semi-hollows, you don't get stuff that's much lighter than a strat.
God forbid you getting a Les Paul.

edit: As for the problem you're having with pain, try to loosen up a bit when you stand there. move some around and dont be so stiff, if you stand cramped in one place you will get really stiff, and blood won't flow properly.
Last edited by ziggymidget at Dec 14, 2009,
Quote by harkkam

What kind of stap are you using? and is your guitar at an actual comfortable height? Regardless of how "cool" you look wearing it around your knees.
Last edited by consecutive e at Dec 14, 2009,
It may be you strap that is causing it to feel heavy rather than the guitar its self a crappy strap is horrible to play or it could be the position of your strap as I find it very uncomfortable to play if you have you guitar hung low down.
Quote by Kendawg4TooL
You know you're a bassist when you think a guitar is just some freaky type of short scale, six string bass.

This is The Central Scrutinizer......
a strat is light
although tbh a fender one can be quite heavy (compared to something like a squier)
if its the 50s strat i tried one and it felt heavy

i would suggest a mustang or a cyclone
I keep the strap long and I got a nice leather one with pads on it.

I usually keep the guitar low because I have long arms and i find that keeping the guitar close to the body causes my right hand to get really sore around the elbow?

Thats the worst, the right hand (picking hand) near my elbow it like burns.

Keeping the guitar lower allows me to keep my right hand straighter and less bent.
I think im too skinny and out of shape to play guitar for that long. Lol im 5'11 and 150 lbs and barely have any muscle and I guess its time to hit the bench.
Try lengthening your strap so it's no different to where your guitar is when you're playing sitting down.
Light guitar that sounds like a strat? Ok... a strat! Seriously, if you're that out of shape, it's time to consider hitting the gym. My schecter is all mahogany, I practice standing for about 2 hours at a time, and I've never had any problems. Also, MOVE WHILE YOU PLAY.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Just raise the guitar up, really. Just to something comfortable, cause fair enough putting it too high can be a bit wrong for some people.

And try to work on your technique as well. Just loosen up quite a bit, that's why it hurts all the time.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
I suppose it comes down to what timber the guitar is made of i know some woods have a dencer grain so weigh more than others i have a custom built Telecaster that breaks your shoulder compared to my Strat.
Actually, alder is a pretty heavy tonewood. My strat (alder, maple neck) is a bit heavier than my SG (full mahogany)

Try some basswood body guitar. Opposite to some beliefs, basswood is NOT a bad tonewood, it's just cheaper than the others.

I think EVH wolfgang is made of basswood
After 2-3 hours of consistent playing it's normal for your body too hurt but you're probably doing somethings wrong and have bad posture.
If you think strats are heavy then i suggest you stay away from any mahogany guitar. Mahogany super strats weigh about twice what a regular one does. IMO 6 pounds isn't heavy anyways.
Quote by Evil_Magician
Get the pink one.

Perforation of women guaranteed.
a strat is causing your entire body to hurt?

honestly, i would get that checked out, i play a gibson les paul and have never once been in pain after playing. and i'm skinny too, 5'9 148 lbs. i run and occasionally play tennis, but never do any weight training.
Is it just making your muscles sore? If it's just sore muscles, your body is adjusting to holding the guitar, and you'll eventually stop getting sore.

But I can't imagine a strat causing all that. Maybe it's something you should go see a doctor about.

At the very least, start playing sitting down.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Wide leather or padded strap followed quickly by growing a pair. The only thing lighter then a Strat is a Parker, or maybe and SG
(()____(Main Rig)____())>

Carvin CS4 Goldtop
PRS Santana SE
Carvin SC90
Washburn Taurus 5-string Bass
Peavey 6505
Carvin v3m
Carvin 2x12
Spider Valve Cab
Plenty of Pedals.
Quote by harkkam

You could very well be doing something wrong, or you just are that weak in muscles. I suggest you start weight lifting. Stratocasters are the lightest instruments on the market. My strat is about 5.5-6.5lbs, as an estimate.

Hollow bodies don't always mean lighter, and as someone said, it drastically changes tone. So does body woods. I suggest you either buy a replacement body that's lighter weight, or just get used to it.

I will also say that most Fenders are smothered in Poly finishes, which adds to some of the weight. If you buy a replacement body, maybe try a nitro finish.
TS, are you by chance terminally ill?
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
I'm 6'2" 200lbs. I get tired after standing there with a guitar slung around my shoulders for a few hours.

It's normal. You want some relief? Try taking a bit of a break half way through.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
i recommend having a few beers.

I'm 5'7 130 pounds, and I can play all my strats for hours upon end standing up with no discomfort... yeah...
Fender MIJ Blue Flower and Pink Paisley Startocasters,Fender White MIM 50's Strat with Noiseless Pickups,Fender Graffiti Yellow Tom Delonge with EMG-81, Gibson Les Paul Studio lite 91', Agile 3100 Purple Bird, Agile 2000 HSB slim, Agile 2500 white
Yeah i have weak bones and muscles and like I have abs. no exercise. I think my muscles being weak they get sore faster and damaged.

SO far Ive caused two nerve damages.

1. I sat on a rough chair and the weight of the guitar on my leg and the chair underneath my leg squeezed the nerves and caused me to get drop foot.

2. My picking hand is messed up to the point that I cant use my right hand to write anymore and it like gets stuck when I try to write it.

Thats why I never play sitting down. And why i stopped playing bcuz I cant write anymore.

I went to the doctors. But will go again.

I think that I am gonna get a professional teacher perhaps to show me proper technique so I stop injuring myself.

Are there any sites or videos that show how to have proper technique?
Quote by harkkam
Yeah i have weak bones and muscles and like I have abs. no exercise. I think my muscles being weak they get sore faster and damaged.

SO far Ive caused two nerve damages.

1. I sat on a rough chair and the weight of the guitar on my leg and the chair underneath my leg squeezed the nerves and caused me to get drop foot.

2. My picking hand is messed up to the point that I cant use my right hand to write anymore and it like gets stuck when I try to write it.

Thats why I never play sitting down. And why i stopped playing bcuz I cant write anymore.

I went to the doctors. But will go again.

I think that I am gonna get a professional teacher perhaps to show me proper technique so I stop injuring myself.

Are there any sites or videos that show how to have proper technique?

I'm going to be frank with you my friend, you need to get some exercise. You sound like you're in terrible health if normal guitar stuff can actually hurt you. Go for a walk every day or something man, it'll do ya good.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Quote by Necr0maniac
An SG is pretty damn light, humbuckers though

The SG has good qualities of the Strat and the Les Paul. I think it would be a good
choice.

Playing guitar is a gradual process. You have to build up your speed as well as your
stamina. Also No matter now healthy your are...if you sit in one spot for to long and then make a sudden movement..you will throw your back out.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Dec 14, 2009,
It's a terrible choice if you want the "single coil sound."
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
yeah, you sound way too weak to even live. start eating a bit more and walk and excersise. honestly, if a strat is killing you, then you need to step up. i can play a strat for almost 5 hours straight standing up. (I actually almost did at one of my band jams). I always play while standing if I have a strap on me (like guitar center doesn't give test straps, so I sit to play there, but thats it). Strats are really light, thats why they sound as they do.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
1. thicker strap

2. raise the guitar

3. some strats are heavier than others. what type you got?

all of this, like said, including the fact that 3 hrs is a long time, you're breaking in those muscles, and you should work out a little.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Dec 14, 2009,
If your strat weighs less than 8 pounds, buck up. If it weighs more, sell it and get another.
I proscribe a bottle or 2 of protein shake and a pint size mug of man the f*ck up =p
Page 1 of 2