After hearing about all the new PRS SEs, I decided to visit their site. To my surprise, more than half of their high end guitars are discontinued. They discontinued the Custom 22, 513, McCarty, Modern Eagle, SC, Sunburst, Satins, and the Swamp Ash Special. They even discontinued a lot of the hollow-bodies.

I knew something weird was going when they came out with the SE line. Then they released the Mira and Starla. We keep getting more, SEs, Miras, and Starlas and less expensive models. The amount of finishes of the remaining high-end guitars have also been reduced. Is PRS abandoning it's high end mystique for a more mid-range focus?
I don't think so. They still have the private stock, and NAMM is coming in a month, so they might have something planned...

(^ the end of the world)
I'm guessing it's releasing new models of stuff. I don't know.

I thought the Miras and the Starlas were quite high end guitars though...
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Chase_Jarvis23
I don't think so. They still have the private stock, and NAMM is coming in a month, so they might have something planned...

I certainly hope so. If PRS stopped making all of those guitars, it would be a tragedy and could ruin the PRS name.
Quote by Lil Macker
I'm guessing it's releasing new models of stuff. I don't know.

I thought the Miras and the Starlas were quite high end guitars though...

They are, but they're the cheapest US-made guitars.
Mate you like myself and some wanker called tommyt were late to realise this. They (PRS) discontinued 13 models a long while back and announced the 25th models as a sort of replacement I think. But yeah I'm surprised this didn't create a bigger splash in the ocean as I find PRS guitars to be highly respected but meh.
Last edited by azn_guitarist25 at Dec 14, 2009,
A lot of those guitars (Swamp Ash, Modern Eagle, Hollowbody, McCarty, 513) have 25th anniversary editions. Could mean that they're going to be reworked. It'll be interesting to see.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Dec 14, 2009,
PRS is probably selling a whole lot more of the cheaper models w higher profit margins than the more expensive models. W X amount of production available maybe they just figure to concentrate on the better sellers.
they cancelled the 22 and the McCarty? wtf?! those were the best guitars they ever produced. especially the mccarty. imo PRS offering any midrange guitars at all just isn't right. PRS should have remained a high end manufacturer. i don't understand why these companies like gibson, prs, esp, gretsch etc. aren't content with being high end only manufacturers.
In very Gibson like move they're doing all they can to cash in on the 25th anniversary.

Hell 25 years is a landmark for them but I expect better of PRS than this cash grab.

Also the shops round here have been quick to catch on and the prices have gone up on the custom 24's from 500-800 pounds which has really screwed up my plans for the new year.

More than just the models though if you look you'll find they've also discontinued a few finishes to make way for their new ones, blue matteo being among those cut.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Last edited by tommyt at Dec 14, 2009,
I noticed that they also discontinued a lot of the SEs too. So what's going to be left? Sigs, Miras, Starlas, and 25th Anniversary models? This is not making any sense to me. Are they going to return to regular production after the 25th Anniversary guitars?
Quote by JELIFISH19
I noticed that they also discontinued a lot of the SEs too. So what's going to be left? Sigs, Miras, Starlas, and 25th Anniversary models? This is not making any sense to me. Are they going to return to regular production after the 25th Anniversary guitars?

Even for PRS, I would be floored if they didn't return to standard production of the Cu22, 513, etc. Many of those are simply historic models from them that many of their customers would crucify them for. I don't think they're that stupid.

Not really relevant, but wowza. There's a PRS I'd like to have.
Quote by Flying Couch
Even for PRS, I would be floored if they didn't return to standard production of the Cu22, 513, etc. Many of those are simply historic models from them that many of their customers would crucify them for. I don't think they're that stupid.

Not really relevant, but wowza. There's a PRS I'd like to have.

I don't know man I fear they are going to continue production of the 25th Anniversary models and not re-introduce the discontinued models.

I just want them to bring back the old Singlecut Trem models
old school tricks. Make new guitars with different specs (not necessarily worse, just different) eventually make the old guitars, but call them re-issues, and jack up the price.

just my humble opinion after seeing gibson pull off this shiz...