i just want a briefing about where and why we should use tru-oil on your guitar

also what exactly is tru-oil and what does it do?
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112
Tru-oil is a brand of finish originally designed for wooden gun stocks. I think it is made entirely of natural oils. http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/index.html
It can be used on a guitar to achieve a satin or semigloss natural finish and add some protection. It won't give you as much protection as a nitrocellulose or lacquer clearcoat will, but some people really like the feel of wood finished with Tru-oil, especially on necks. You do have to reapply it periodically.

You would apply it to unfinished wood, don't try to oil a guitar that has already been painted and/or clear coated. It is usually rubbed in by hand, so you don't need spray equipment.

You may also hear people talk about using tung oil, which is a mixture of natural oils and lacquer. It offers more protection than tru-oil, but starts to feel more like a lacquer finish (because it contains lacquer). It is also rubbed in by hand.

A third commonly used oil is linseed (flax) oil. It offers the least protection of the three, but it is cheap and it still looks and feels good.
Last edited by cedricsmods at Dec 14, 2009,
oh thanks alot dude so what your saying is i should only apply it to bare wood not wood that has been clear coated or anything?
Gear:
-Peavey Valveking 112
I have nothing to add about tru-oil, but that username of yours is a little odd on the eye, when casting an eye over the threads, your's leaps out as

"green day is spunk" . (which isn't a good thing to say at all)

yeah, yeah I know....it's actually written "green day is punk" ....but I reckon you could have chosen a little better! (Green Day Are Punk", wouldn't have looked so dodgy)
Last edited by HankMcSpank at Dec 14, 2009,
Quote by HankMcSpank
I have nothing to add about tru-oil, but that username of yours is a little odd on the eye, when casting an eye over the threads, your's leaps out as

"green day is spunk" . (which isn't a good thing to say at all)

yeah, yeah I know....it's actually written "green day is punk" ....but I reckon you could have chosen a little better! (Green Day Are Punk", wouldn't have looked so dodgy)

hahah well whats done is done
Gear:
-Peavey Valveking 112