Page 1 of 2
I was at a gig on Saturday night and one of the bands were doing a cover of Folsom Prison Blues but with a kind of Garage Rock twist. I was suprised how good it sounded and I'm a big JC fan. they also had a lot of old style rockabilly/rock n roll influenced tracks.

It occured to me that a lot of younger people seem to be getting more into Country and Rockabilly music (no bad thing IMHO)
Hell even Lilly Allen went a (little) country on that track "Not Fair"
What with all the obsession with teenagers running around in checked shirts are we in for a proper revival?

Maybe the whole KOL type Southern Rock explosion has inticed some people to dig a little deeper?

It got me thinking about cycles in music and I remeber a few years back when that young band Daisy Kitty and Lewis were doing a Rockabily thing big things were predicted but haven't heard anything of them since.

So can you see more Indie bands go down the Country route? Just wondered what you guys thought
I likecountry...a lot. even if i'm from europe. I know a few more guys that like it.

edit: maybe taylor swift has to do something with it...
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Last edited by Kozlic at Dec 14, 2009,
Haha, good old Taylor Swift, pushing those boundries lol!!!

Yeah I'm from London myself and it's just crazy. There's been a bit of a rockabilly thing going on but all the nights play all the old 50s material which I love don't get me wrong.

I was just suprised to hear these young guys doing an almost Strokes type thing with it and doing it so well! My friends we're really impressed too and they're not what you would call big country fans or even muso types!

they'res a couple I've seen recently

www.myspace.com/burningcondors were the band from Saturday who did the Cash cover and there was another cool band I cam across recently called "The Black Penny Remedy"
I realy doubt that. The lilly allen track was a totall once off, the album doesnt have any other tracks like that. As for the Kings of Leon southern rock not many people made that connection where I am. Now that theve gained mainstream success on an album that sounds nothing like Southern rock it does'nt seem that relavant.

I have no idea about America but in Europe I'd realy doubt a country revival would happen.
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
It's interesting to hear your opinion

Agree the latest KOL material is almost U2esque stadium rock really. I was more reffering to the first album and tracks like "Arizona" from Because of the Times sounds Southern Rock to me.

I read in an interview somehwere that Lilly Allen wants to go completely Country on her next album... Don't know if it was just the usual rubbish she spouts off but got me thinking

In London at least there are quite a few club nights springing up around Shoreditch and North London which are getting really popular so I wondered how long it would be before a band comes out of the movement or if it was possible to break out of the movement?
As I said I found the whole thing Burning Condors was doing really refreshing and I'm sure there are a lot of other great new bands coming through in a similar vein.
Quote by silverscreen
It's interesting to hear your opinion

Agree the latest KOL material is almost U2esque stadium rock really. I was more reffering to the first album and tracks like "Arizona" from Because of the Times sounds Southern Rock to me.

I read in an interview somehwere that Lilly Allen wants to go completely Country on her next album... Don't know if it was just the usual rubbish she spouts off but got me thinking

In London at least there are quite a few club nights springing up around Shoreditch and North London which are getting really popular so I wondered how long it would be before a band comes out of the movement or if it was possible to break out of the movement?
As I said I found the whole thing Burning Condors was doing really refreshing and I'm sure there are a lot of other great new bands coming through in a similar vein.

havent realy heard any of the bands your talking about. I suppose it hinges on weather ones of these bands can make it to a major or break into the mainstream in some other capacity. It also could become an underground thing but again Im
Skeptical.
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
Interesting topic. It seems more of an underground thing at the moment in England but I've seen more people getting into country in London at the very least. There's also a cool band called the Whybirds who are a bit more kind of 70s country rock who are getting a bit of recognition. None of the bands are full on country though so it's not really a "country revival".
What's the scene like in the States? We've had Wilco who've been semi successful over here and Ryan Adams from the kind of "alt country" scene but that's about it?
BTW, checked out those bands wasn't too hot on Black Penny Remedy but Burning Condors sounded great. Singer reminds me a bit of Julian Casablancas, really fun and energetic style, some great guitar playing too.
You can hear the Country influence but it sounds very indie/alternative to me at the core, even the Folsom Prison Blues cover. I'm definitely gonna try to make one of their gigs.
Didn't Wilco perfect the indie/country hybrid years ago?
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by nashawa
Didn't Wilco perfect the indie/country hybrid years ago?

The Wilco sound is quite different to the bands Silverscreen is mentioning.
Also in the UK Wilco aren't very well known. Which is a shame as they are awesome, Summerteeth especially is a great album. Nothing in music is ever perfected either, there will always be new boundaries to push and different bands will be more relevant depending on what's going on in the world at the time.
I think it's great to hear a trashier country/rockabilly sound which doesn't stray into Psychobilly which I've gotta say I'm not hot on. Whether it's something that will popular in the mainstream is hard to say though.
i want to start a noise/country/acid/jazz/punk band. ill call it avant garbage and see what the people think
I love all forms of Rock 'n' Roll, past and NOT present
Howling Bells are pretty country ish. Their first album is great.
MIA 1979 Fender Strat
Epi LP Standard
Squier Strat

Tanglewood

Laney TF300
Fender Frontman 15G

Zoom G1
Howling Bells are a cool band, I would say more blues than country. I think they are Australian?
Grantura and The Storys are a more alt country UK band that had some underground success that are worth checking
Quote by NOFX182
Howling Bells are pretty country ish. Their first album is great.

Just checked out Howling Bells as they aren't a band I know much about and they are an interesting mix for sure! Never heard of Grantura and the Storys, gonna check them out later but I'm guessing they haven't been that successful in the UK. It will be interesting to see if any bands like them Burning Condors or Thee Headcoatees or Black Penny Remedy break out though.

I'm guessing the Indie/Country scene in the States must be massive or is it a case that there's so many purists who look down on it?
I was surprised recently by that Paolo Nutini track 'Pencil Full of Lead', actually pretty good with some Retro/Country touches! I think there's definitely something building in London right now but not necessarily Country in the traditional sense. People are sick of poor quality manufactured music.
in the past month or two ive seen langhorne slim and dawesand Elvis perkins and AA Bondy and Joe purdy and all of them have that kind of folky rootsy vibe too them and all draw a big young indie crowd mixed with some older people mixed in as well. I suppose delta spirit and others in that vein kind of have a indie/country touch so i would agree that at the very least, ive been noticing a bigger interest in it.
Anatomy Anatomy
Whale Blue Review

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
Quote by Churchy82
I was surprised recently by that Paolo Nutini track 'Pencil Full of Lead', actually pretty good with some Retro/Country touches! I think there's definitely something building in London right now but not necessarily Country in the traditional sense. People are sick of poor quality manufactured music.

Definitely seen more younger crowds getting into old JC and stuff like Gram Parsons.
Think the movie Walk the Line helped a lot.
Thing that I noticed is that a lot of people in the Uk tend to associate Country with Dolly Parton or Patsy Cline until recently.
Since Silverscreen mentioned it I've been checking out the Burning Condors and I gotta say I'm loving it. It's so cool when you find new bands that few people have heard of. One of their "What your Mama Said" has got a feel of the Strokes and Libertines as well.
Delta Spirit rock hard too, their "Ode to Sunshine" album got a Stonesy country thing I guess.
Quote by thucydides
kings of leon are such a horrible band now.

don't care about the rest of the thread, just wanted to get that out there.

What a pointless comment. No doubt another trendy kid who doesn't like any band when they become too "mainstream".Even if you don't like the new KOL album surely you can appreciate the fact they have improved and grown as musicians since the start of their careers? Anyway it's all a bit off topic anyway!
Can't believe I just stumbled across this thread
As the guitarist in Burning Condors it is great to see our music being linked with this although we have never set out to do anything than play the music that we love. Our influences are all really wide and when we come together we've created something which sounds like us whatever people think or it. Luckily for us people seem open to the sound we have. We love our Country music but we grew up jamming to the Strokes and early Kings of Leon so that side of us definitely comes through especially the energy of that as well as stuff like Hendrix and the Chilis (I know, bit of a mix!)
As far as Country/Rockabilly music getting more popular, it definitely is, artists like Imelda May are coming to the fore, I'm hearing people picking up on classics like Wanda Jackson
even bands like Fleet Foxes have got that country/folk thing going on and then you've got bands like Howling Bells who've been mentioned on this thread.

All it takes is for one of these artists to have a breakthrough crossover hit and I don't think we are far away from that.

Silverscreen, glad you enjoyed the gig the other night and that you picked up on the garage rock feel of our tracks as well as the country influence, come say hi to us when we play again and we'll sort you out some free CDs. If any of you guys have checked us out we'd love to hear what you think.

cheers
there's been an alt-country/americana genre of "indie" rock for years. there's m. ward, wilco, ryan adams, whiskeytown, the new bright eyes garbage, neko case, rocky votolato, golden smog, etc. my morning jacket definitely has a southern rock vibe too. seriously though, i can only pray that the genre doesn't take a turn towards kings of leon rock, but it looks like the next wave is dubstep/dance-punk.
Hey BurningCondors that's awesome, will definitely make a gig next time you're playing

Quote by NGD1313
there's been an alt-country/americana genre of "indie" rock for years. there's m. ward, wilco, ryan adams, whiskeytown, the new bright eyes garbage, neko case, rocky votolato, golden smog, etc. my morning jacket definitely has a southern rock vibe too. seriously though, i can only pray that the genre doesn't take a turn towards kings of leon rock, but it looks like the next wave is dubstep/dance-punk.

Yeah maybe that's true in the States that these artists were quite big but in the UK with the exception of Ryan Adams and Wilco these artists are completely unkown. Will definitely check some of those bands out though. Each to there own I guess, personally I love the sound of Early KOL and Libertines.

In the UK the whole Punk/Dance thing has been in full swing for a while and although I like some of the music it's a very pretentious scene unfourtunately. That's what I really enjoyed about Burning Condors, it's goodtime music
Last edited by silverscreen at Dec 18, 2009,
Quote by ze monsta
I think Blanche are a pretty good example

They are so cool, especially love the way they dress onstage. I heard their Little Amber Bottles and I really enjoyed that.
Aren't some of their members involved in The Raconteurs in some way?
Uh huh. Jack Lawrence is apart of Blanche.

They're all good friends of Jack White too. Dan Miller features in some White Stripes videos they made. They cover a Two Star Tabernacle (band White was in) too. Lots of things link them guys together.

David Viner is another one, more folk and blues singer songwriter kinda stuff really, but his new album has some more country-ish instrumentation. He is friggin amazing, great sound.
Quote by ze monsta
Uh huh. Jack Lawrence is apart of Blanche.

They're all good friends of Jack White too. Dan Miller features in some White Stripes videos they made. They cover a Two Star Tabernacle (band White was in) too. Lots of things link them guys together.

David Viner is another one, more folk and blues singer songwriter kinda stuff really, but his new album has some more country-ish instrumentation. He is friggin amazing, great sound.

I've just started to get into Blanche, I know myself and the other guys are becoming quite influenced by them. Love Jack White too, how he just plays and sings what he feels not being caged by technique.
Will definitely have to check out David Viner then too as you seem like you're a man with taste!
Never heard of Blanche until I checked them out just now but they've got a very original take on the whole country thing too. Need to hear it a bit more I think and then I could imagine bring hooked! BurningCondors, your guitarist actually reminds me a bit of Jack White so not suprised to hear you're fans. checked your shows, gonna try and make it to 100 Club next year for sure, love that place!
Quote by ze monsta
"Indie folk" in the UK right now is a horrible, horrible thing.

How so?
Mr David Viner is the only good example I can think of to be honest, and he is properly "indie" rather than Fleet Foxes or whatever else. NME bums this kinda indie folk shit. It's grating. If you use Mumford And Sons as an example of good indie folk, I will e-strangle you!

Yeah gotta say thanks for turning me on to David Viner. I wouldn't call Fleet Foxes particularly Indie to be honest though. Jack Penate was promoted as having a country vibe when he was first getting recognition, wasn't a big fan of his though gotta say.
Has anyone checked out the Soledad Brothers? Apparently David Viner and Jack White are involved in this band too?
Quote by BurningCondors
Yeah gotta say thanks for turning me on to David Viner. I wouldn't call Fleet Foxes particularly Indie to be honest though. Jack Penate was promoted as having a country vibe when he was first getting recognition, wasn't a big fan of his though gotta say.
Has anyone checked out the Soledad Brothers? Apparently David Viner and Jack White are involved in this band too?

your band is good dude. ever gona come anywhere in hertfordshire? not too far.... or leeds?
Quote by korinaflyingv
your band is good dude. ever gona come anywhere in hertfordshire? not too far.... or leeds?

Thanks matey, if you go on the reverbnation page you can download the tracks for free. Our singer is actually from Bradford originally so a big chance we'll be in Leeds next year at some point! If you know of any venues worth playing in Hertfordshire we'd definitely play, always up for as much gigging as possible!

It's good to see that the whole Indie Country Folk thing is gathering some momentum over here. There's a band that someone else recommended called the Black Penny Remedy who are really starting to break through too.
Quote by BurningCondors

In that PM i just sent you, I said you guys remind me of The Soledads, I hadn't even looked back in here yet!

I frigging LOVE The Soledad Brothers. They are long broken up now, I think it was 05 when they called it quits.

The deal with The Soledad Bros, Viner and White was so:

They're all friends and supported each other etc and Viner plays on a Soledads tune.
Johnny Walker of The Soledads (and now Cut In The Hill Gang) is a good friend of Jack White. Together they built Jack's "peppermint triple tremolo" leslie cabinet.
IIRC Jack recorded The Soledad's first album.
Ben Swank of The Soledad's drummed in Viner's band for a while, and The Soledad's were basically Viners backing band at a few points in time.
One of The Soledad's (I think it was Brian Olive aka Oliver Henry) went out with Meg White I believe, and Ben Swank used to live with Jack White.

So, related bands to check out:

The Greenhornes (Oliver Henry of The Soledad's used to be a member, Little Jack Lawrence of The Raconteurs/Blanche is a member as is Patrick Keeler or the Racs)
The See See (Ben Swank of Soledad fame's new band)
The Cut In The Hill Gang (Johnny Walker's band)
Brian Olive (previous Soledad member)
Last edited by ze monsta at Dec 23, 2009,
Thanks for the history lesson, you know your stuff! Definitely lots of new music to explore. Greenhornes I've heard of but the others I'm looking forward to checking out

I didn't get your PM for some reason, don't know if it's something wrong at my end or yours?! But thanks for the Soledad Bros comment, I'll happily take that!!!
My brother used to go and see Viner all the time and saw the Soledads, Blanche, Dirtbombs etc. all the time when they were in London, so I have been listening to this kinda stuff since I was about 9

I'm listening to Brian Olive right now and HOLY SHIT IS IT GOOD. I actually hadn't listened to him, despite being aware of his solo efforts. It's got this incredible 60s psych pop vibe to it, with Stax horns. It's friggin brilliant.
Hey man happy new year! Just got around to checking out Brian Olive. "there is love" Reminds me of some of the tracks from Summerteeth by Wilco for some reason but a little more soulful. Great stuff though, it's criminal that people in the UK aren't opened up to more of this music! Man you were lucky being introduced to this stuff by your bro so young, we got to keep pasing the word on!!
Page 1 of 2