*SOLVED*

so i'm restringing to a heavier gauge as my band is recording our album and i don't want the strings to be floppy (we tune to drop Db). i got DR lo riders EH 50-110. problem is, i'm getting a ton of nut buzz on the A string (and a little on the E string). then when i further inspected, i can easily pull the strings out of the nut slot. the tension remains, but it's not firmly placed in the nut. what can i do to fix this? shorten the string length with some wirecutters? they do seem excessively long (no indication on the package that they're for anything over 34" though).

halp!
#DTWD
I'd go with what you said, take the strings off and shorten them, not by much though. Maybe and inch to two inches less at the very most from what they are at the moment.

Quote by primusfan
I'm getting a ton of nut buzz

Sorry
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Shortening the string won't help.

There will still be the same length of string between the machine head and nut, and between the nut and the bridge.

Unless I am confused about something...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29

There will still be the same length of string between the machine head and nut, and between the nut and the bridge.

apparently you are because it worked.

my intuition - 1
biga29 - 0

#DTWD
Quote by primusfan
apparently you are because it worked.

my intuition - 1
biga29 - 0

Wait, so you had a string... And it buzzed, so you made it shorter, and it stopped buzzing... Did you like lengthen the scale length too...?
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Quote by biga29

The length of the string between the nut and the bridge doesn't make a difference. The shorter the string, the further it has to be stretched to reach the tuning peg or the desired pitch. The further you stretch the string, the more tension is placed on the string, so is stiffer. Like when you've just put a new string on, and you pull the string right the way off the fretboard, but when you've tuned up it's a lot harder to pull at the string that when it was slack.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Only cut them so you can wind them all the way down the tuner. What mught be happening is the string isnt breaking at the nut and its rattling accordingly. You need to wrap the string right down to the base of the tuning post,
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fleajr_1412
The length of the string between the nut and the bridge doesn't make a difference. The shorter the string, the further it has to be stretched to reach the tuning peg or the desired pitch. The further you stretch the string, the more tension is placed on the string, so is stiffer. Like when you've just put a new string on, and you pull the string right the way off the fretboard, but when you've tuned up it's a lot harder to pull at the string that when it was slack.

-------[color="Red"]O[/COLOR]--------[color="Navy"]|[/COLOR]---------------------------------------------------------[color="Magenta"]|o[/COLOR]

Ok, say that's the string. The red "O" is the machine head. The blue line is the nut, and the magenta thing is the bridge.

Where would you cut the string.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
that string's probably short enough to be ok. all my strings were, at full length, stretching well beyond the headstock.
#DTWD