Hi UG.
Okay, so I'm (hopefully) going to get a Fender DeVille for Christmas, and I know that Fender, by nature, have AWESOME cleans
However, are their more driven lacking too much for a nice rock sound?

I'm thinking RHYTHM rock playing straight from the amp, and lead tones from pedals?
Any opinions?
Thanks!
Quote by strat0blaster
HA!

Well played, my friend.

I'm going to edit that awful grammar right now

Yay, I'm sigged!!
And a grammar nazi..
Quote by jfreyvogel
What kind of Rock?

+1

EDIT: fixed.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Dec 14, 2009,
Quote by eyebanez333
+1

Let's talk about the HRD, not Fender as a whole.

TS - The drive channel is a bit lacking, so I'd look into a good OD to use for your distortion, but yes, that amp will do anything short of metal well with the right pedal(s).
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Get a Supersonic instead. Much better amp.
^ dunno, goolz. he's in the UK; last i checked a supersonic was £1000. if you ask me, there are much better amps available for that kind of money here, for rock, anyway. I liked its cleans, but still wasn't too fussed on the drive channel (though it's much better than the HRD drive channel(s)).

basically, and imo, it depends very much on what you mean by rock, and how badly you need those fender cleans. there are plenty of amps available with much better drive tones, and nearly-as-nice cleans for similar money, but that might not be what you want.

also, if you ask me, most fender stuff isn't amazing value over here.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ dunno, goolz. he's in the UK; last i checked a supersonic was £1000. if you ask me, there are much better amps available for that kind of money here, for rock, anyway. I liked its cleans, but still wasn't too fussed on the drive channel (though it's much better than the HRD drive channel(s)).

That was my point. The Hot Rods are similarly priced to the Supersonic, no? The Supersonic is by far a superior amp. So out of the two, within the scope of fender, the Supersonic would be better.

Not saying it's the best value, just the best fender for what he wants.
Quote by tubetime86

Let's talk about the HRD, not Fender as a whole.

I only meant to give a +1 to the first half of that statement I fixed it
^Oh, haha... It made me mad, like if I were to say 'Marshall's are great for classic rock' everyone would be down my throat in a second, but for some reason people love to say 'Fender is good for x,' and no one gets mad.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Full disclosure: I don't really like the HRD.

That said, if you're going to do it, you need a pedal that works well with fender voiced amps. That isn't an easy thing because they have scooped mids by default which is the antithesis of the classic rock Marshall tone. For a higher end pedal recommendation, I'd go with a Tone Bone hot British or the 2 channel version. A little lower end, I'd go with a Barber Direct Drive SS.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
i have a HRD. (i dont use it anymore. why you ask? because its a poorly made hunk of junk. it currently doesnt even work properly.) cleans are pretty good. (when everything is working properly.) the OD channel on its own is fairly poor. however, when you boost it with a tubescreamer type pedal, it rounds out the upper fizzyness of the high frequencies, and cuts out the booming uncontrollabe muddy bass. all you need to do is go a little past unity gain on the pedal, and a small amount of drive on the pedal, with a small amount of drive on the amp.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Last edited by chea_man at Dec 14, 2009,
If you can get a Supersonic for about the same price as a hot rod, I'd certainly go for the Supersonic, but I also didn't think too much of it's gain channel. Still, it was miles better than Drive and More Drive on the HRD.

In the UK, though, you might find better value in a different amp altogether.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by Even Bigger D
Full disclosure: I don't really like the HRD.

That said, if you're going to do it, you need a pedal that works well with fender voiced amps. That isn't an easy thing because they have scooped mids by default which is the antithesis of the classic rock Marshall tone. For a higher end pedal recommendation, I'd go with a Tone Bone hot British or the 2 channel version. A little lower end, I'd go with a Barber Direct Drive SS.

barber is in no way a lower end pedal to anyone. esp the radial company. they are both good pedals. IMO this barber pedal, along with every other one ive played, is one of the finest examples of high quality, boutiqe level effect pedal. TS cant really go wrong with either of those pedal, though personally i would much rather have the barber.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by imgooley
That was my point. The Hot Rods are similarly priced to the Supersonic, no? The Supersonic is by far a superior amp. So out of the two, within the scope of fender, the Supersonic would be better.

Not saying it's the best value, just the best fender for what he wants.

oh, ok, no problem, i get you now. The prices might have changed, but last time i checked here, the HRDs were around the £500 mark, while the supersonic was around the £1000 mark. But it's a while since i checked, and the SS was pretty new at that point, so the prices on them may have dropped a bit. EDIT: i just checked gak, and assuming its prices are reflective of the normal UK prices (they normally are, but their engl prices are way off ), it's even worse than i at first assumed- the hot rods (the 40 watt ones, anyway) are a little over £500 (the deville 2x12 is a little over £600), and the 1x12 supersonic is £1100. if you ask me, there are definitely better amps available here for that much- engl screamer, laney tt, or even save another couple of hundred and you're into the really nice stuff.

Quote by TNfootballfan62
If you can get a Supersonic for about the same price as a hot rod, I'd certainly go for the Supersonic, but I also didn't think too much of it's gain channel. Still, it was miles better than Drive and More Drive on the HRD.

In the UK, though, you might find better value in a different amp altogether.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Dec 14, 2009,
Quote by Dave_Mc
oh, ok, no problem, i get you now. The prices might have changed, but last time i checked here, the HRDs were around the £500 mark, while the supersonic was around the £1000 mark. But it's a while since i checked, and the SS was pretty new at that point, so the prices on them may have dropped a bit. EDIT: i just checked gak, and assuming its prices are reflective of the normal UK prices (they normally are, but their engl prices are way off ), it's even worse than i at first assumed- the hot rods (the 40 watt ones, anyway) are a little over £500 (the deville 2x12 is a little over £600), and the 1x12 supersonic is £1100. if you ask me, there are definitely better amps available here for that much- engl screamer, laney tt, or even save another couple of hundred and you're into the really nice stuff.

A new Supersonic 1x12 is about 400 bucks more round here, depending on where you go, so I was thinking like that

I still think the Supersonic is actually good, while the Hot Rod is boring and lackluster.
Quote by chea_man
barber is in no way a lower end pedal to anyone. esp the radial company. they are both good pedals. IMO this barber pedal, along with every other one ive played, is one of the finest examples of high quality, boutiqe level effect pedal. TS cant really go wrong with either of those pedal, though personally i would much rather have the barber.

I'm just referring to the price. In terms of construction and features, both are 100% solid, but the Radial is like $200 or more depending on if you get the 2 channel version, and the Barber is $120 or something.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
For a good compromise, you can something like a Jetter gain stage purple for an inbetween price. I think they sound solid.
Quote by imgooley
A new Supersonic 1x12 is about 400 bucks more round here, depending on where you go, so I was thinking like that

I still think the Supersonic is actually good, while the Hot Rod is boring and lackluster.

yeah, no worries, our prices are kind of crazy

yeah, i quite liked the SS (especially the two clean channel modes), just it's very hard to be objective when you know the price and think it's way too dear, kind of thing, because the price has so much bearing on how much you like something, and whether you're likely to buy it or not.

i don't really like the HRD either. i don't much see the point in a 3-channel amp where 2 of the channels are useless. Especially when those 2 are the higher gain channels.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Dec 14, 2009,