I'm looking for something just to bring out my leads a little more. I was thinking a compressor might do it. I play a fair bit of clean stuff but I need that bit extra for overdrive too. Do you think this might be the way to go?

I was looking at the MXR compressors but I'm confused as to what is the best way to go?

I play a strat into a Laney VC30.
A compressor should do what you're looking for on your clean sound...but might not be what you're looking for to add that extra bit to your crunch sound. A compressor will bring everything in your signal up to the same volume level...so if you're getting any hum from your strat, a compressor will likely bring that out and make it as loud as the rest of your signal. I have a route 66 compressor that I use quite a bit on the clean channel. For the extra bit of overdrive you're looking for, I'd definitely go with an OD pedal.
How about a boost pedal? I don't really like compressors too much. They add too much noise to my rigs.
You could just get an Ibanez TS9 or an eq pedal

I played my setup through a Boss eq, made alot of difference.

The TS9 will give you the extra bit you need for sure.
Why should I come down?
From here, I can see forever.
A compressor make a great lead boost.......I love My H.B.E. CPR but of thr mxr pedals i like the super compressor best!
an od or boost might be better, as eyebanez said. not that compressors aren't useful, just they might not be what you want. I wouldn't get one without trying it with your rig, kind of thing, to make sure it'd do what you wanted.

what country are you in? that's going to affect the price, availability, value etc. and hence the recommendations. i'm guessing you might be in the UK because you have a laney, but they're available in other countries, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm in the UK. I was looking at boost and overdrive pedals but to be honest the range of options is mindblowing and it's impossible to try much where I am.

I was hoping to get closer to Mark Knopfler's lead sound in the early years of Dire Straits, I like to fingerpick a fair bit and that can get a bit dull sounding sometimes. I also do need to kick the overdrive up a bit more for leads. I want to be able to get things like Eric Johnson, and for classic rock.

I will probably need both at some point. The only combination I can think of is the visual sound route 66, what's it like? I can't see any reason not to just buy two pedals though.
Quote by no. 380059
I'm in the UK. I was looking at boost and overdrive pedals but to be honest the range of options is mindblowing and it's impossible to try much where I am.

I was hoping to get closer to Mark Knopfler's lead sound in the early years of Dire Straits, I like to fingerpick a fair bit and that can get a bit dull sounding sometimes. I also do need to kick the overdrive up a bit more for leads. I want to be able to get things like Eric Johnson, and for classic rock.

I will probably need both at some point. The only combination I can think of is the visual sound route 66, what's it like? I can't see any reason not to just buy two pedals though.

if you wants the dire straights sound, then a compressor would be helpful (personally i just my pickups in the 2 or 4 slot).

and an overdrive may be what you're looking for an EJ sound, but i think he uses a Fuzz Face into his plexi for his lead sound, so you might want to try that as well.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
^ +1

i haven't tried the route 66, but unless it's exactly what you want, as you said, you might be better with two separate pedals.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?