Hey all,

So I reciently bought a new schecter hellraiser with emg 81tw active pickups which was brought me out of my passive pickup comfort zone. The reason I made the switch was to try and get some rad metal sounds. But it seems the switch did not agree with the mt-2.

I had been using a boss mt-2 with an ns-2. Everything sounded awesome with my previous guitar (schecter c1 classic with passive pickups). But when I play my hellraiser with the mt-2 all I get is an incredibly muffled or buzzy sound. It had a huge distorted sound that I really couldn't alter too much. For example power chords that are relitivly close just sound loud...no real difference in tone...also when I play two high pitch notes together it sounds wicked buzzy with just one of the notes really coming thru. I know its the pedal because I can get some distortion out of my amp without the problem...too bad that's not the sound I like.

I am looking for a pedal that works great with active pickups. I'm really into melodic metal. Some bands I enjoy the sound of are wintersun...children of bodom...and trivium. However I also like the ability to change up the sounds to get some dethklok like sounds as well.

I play on a marshall valvestate 2000...but only in my office, never live. Also most of the time I record from the send portion of this amp so speaker sound quality is not an issue...I just want a good pedal that will let me play some rad metal solos and riffs...while being able to play multiple notes at the same time without creating just annoying noise.

This is my first time posting so if you need any other information just ask.
Thanks.
Last edited by tacocat at Dec 14, 2009,
Ever think about sending the MT-2 in to Keeley to get it modded?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
311...I really don't know that much about why it doesn't work so ur post is useless to me. Thanks for replying...I think.

And death I did look into it and am considering it...I just want to make sure it is a proper fix for my problem
I have 81's and a ATV100 (same thing as your amp I think)

Just bail on the pedal... Use the OD2 channel with the scoop button engaged... Raise the Bass to like 7 or 8, Mid at like 4 -6 (it doesnt matter much) and adjust treble to taste (I use like 6-7 ish or sometimes as low as 4)

With gain on 10 (lol) and presence on 10....

This should give you a sweet metal sound with 81's......

One other thing you could try is a 18v mod for the 81's.... Its real easy... Just go to a electrical store, buy a 9v battery connector and look up EMG81's 18v mod on the net for instructions on how to wire it... Simple as and really makes the 81's sound awesome.
Last edited by Stildawn at Dec 14, 2009,
Ok thanks for that idea...I was only looking at pedals as I have a pedal board for them and its a quick and easy switch

Anyone else have any opinions?
You are most likely getting a buzzy and muffled sound because:

1. Actives and SS amps don't generally work great together, and your amp might be clipping (buzzy sound).

2. The MT-2 is a really buzzy, bumblebees type of pedal, and is a terrible pedal because of this.

My advice is to ditch the pedal, don't get a new pedal, and get a small tube amp like the Blackstar HT-5 with a budget overdrive pedel like the Danelectro Cool Cat OD's, or the Digitech Bad Monkey.
roll the volume right back on your guitar, you're pushing the diodes into unnatural distortion. See, as a solidstate component encounters a signal above it's rating to handle, it cuts the top off, causing an ugly distortion.

There arent really any pedals that will do what you want through a solidstate amp (yes, your valvestate is actually a solidstate amp, the valve in the preamp makes little it no difference). My advice is use the amp's drive (it has enough as it is), until you can afford a new amp.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Ok...thanks for the advice.
its just weird that I was able to get my sound before the active pickups...would modding sound like a workable option?

I have a few other pedals that have no issue at all...my thought for why it is sucking was due to the gain. Is there a pedal that outputs less but still had that ridgid sound to it.. again my active pickups work fine with the overdrive channels on as they do with every other senario other than this pedal. It just seems as you say there is too much signal. Is there any other options in you minds.
Last edited by tacocat at Dec 14, 2009,
you could also look into running your pedal on 12v or 18v for more headroom?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by Stildawn
I have 81's and a ATV100 (same thing as your amp I think)

Just bail on the pedal... Use the OD2 channel with the scoop button engaged... Raise the Bass to like 7 or 8, Mid at like 4 -6 (it doesnt matter much) and adjust treble to taste (I use like 6-7 ish or sometimes as low as 4)

With gain on 10 (lol) and presence on 10....

This should give you a sweet metal sound with 81's......

One other thing you could try is a 18v mod for the 81's.... Its real easy... Just go to a electrical store, buy a 9v battery connector and look up EMG81's 18v mod on the net for instructions on how to wire it... Simple as and really makes the 81's sound awesome.

Ofcourse, the EMG guy would turn the gain to 10 and use the scooper to scoop the mids. Yes, take tone advice from him.

But I digress, In an ideal situation you could switch back to passives, that'd be what I would do first. If thats impossible (you sold the pups, etc, whatever). It seems the other option is to get a tube amp. Might I recommend the B52 AT 112? $360 new, nice Clean and dirty channels.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Dec 14, 2009,
Quote by VanTheKraut
Ofcourse, the EMG guy would turn the gain to 10 and use the scooper to scoop the mids. Yes, take tone advice from him.

But I digress, In an ideal situation you could switch back to passives, that'd be what I would do first. If thats impossible (you sold the pups, etc, whatever). It seems the other option is to get a tube amp. Might I recommend the B52 AT 112? $360 new, nice Clean and dirty channels.

+1. That is basically what I was trying to say

I'm not a fan of the MT2 anyway, so adding active pups to that sounds like a horrid idea. Always try before you buy.

Lol shall I take offense to that? I just gave some small advice.... I have the amp and I have the pickups... And he seems to want a heavy heavy metal sound.... now of course he doesnt have to run the gain at 10... But that will with this amp gets you the best heavy heavy metal sound (IMO)... Its not a very particular heavy metal amp in general.... But Ive found that gain 10 or at least 8 and above produces pretty good metal sounds with 81's.....

The tone part... Well those eq settings are just what I like, and what I think gets the best heavy metal sound from this amp with those pickups...

This is from actual personal experience... I dont pretend that its the best damn tone setting ever.... Just what I have found gets the best metal sound from this setup... he may hate it lol I dont know....

But yeah in direct answer to his question... I would bail on the pedal on this amp with 81's....
Last edited by Stildawn at Dec 14, 2009,
Bail on the hellraiser. C1 classic is better.
And just don't use the metal zone. I used to use it and it was terrible.
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Thanks for all the advice i think ill look into the tube amp and i really just want something will sound great recording...i use headphones anyways.