In May, i'm going to be traveling by plane and I am going to be taking my guitar with me. Does anybody have any advice on flying with a guitar? Back in the day I would've probably tried to carry carry-on but in today's world that isn't going to work and I know I'll have to check it. How can I protect it, and ensure it makes it to our destination and back in one piece?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Pack it tight in its case with towels so it can't shift at all. That's all that needs to be done.
And make sure you're using a hardshell case, not a softer gig bag sort of thing. But if you only have a gig bag then you might be able to get way with having it on the plane and putting it in the overhead. I've done that a couple times and security never gave me any problems with it, aside from maybe searching it. But hey, you have plenty of time to figure it out, it seems.
Check out my punk band!!! Lizard on the Window We found a drummer and are now recording.

White Version FC: 4083 9268 4644
White 2 FC: 5372 8215 3622
3DS FC: 1676 4085 1677
call up the airline and ask them about thier policy with instruments. Most allow one guitar case and one othe piece of handluggage, but if you are putting it in the hold, get a hard case and pack it tight, after buying plenty of insurace, coz there are so many stories of guitars getting broken. If you can, get it in the cabin with you, so you know where it is.
I do have a hard case for it. And yes , plenty of time... but I figured I'd ask the question now so I would know.

Thanks again!
Quote by jdport
I do have a hard case for it.

A note; I've never actually been on an airline where my guitar hasn't fit in the overhead compartment, so recently I've gotten in the habit of just not checking it. That way, you get to the gate and they will either say nothing or check it for you. They actually let me carry it on about 75% of the time.
DONT LEAVE THE STRINGS ON
well at least not on at full tension. was reading an article and this guy had his LPs neck snapped in half from the pressure change in the hold. while it might not snap yours it may warp it past the point of no return!
Quote by munkyRobb
well at least not on at full tension. was reading an article and this guy had his LPs neck snapped in half from the pressure change in the hold.

That's nonsense. The article you read was wrong.
Quote by GC Shred Off
Pack it tight in its case with towels so it can't shift at all. That's all that needs to be done.

This, for sure. Take extra care to make sure the headstock area is packed nice and snug. That's where most of the damage usually occurs.

As well, do not loosen your strings as many will tell you to do. When the strings are up to tension(proper tuning), there is an equilibrium between the truss rod and the strings that keeps it right.

EDIT:
Quote by munkyRobb
well at least not on at full tension. was reading an article and this guy had his LPs neck snapped in half from the pressure change in the hold. while it might not snap yours it may warp it past the point of no return!

That's just not true. I can quote reputable sources if anyone wants proof that you should keep it at normal tuning.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by munkyRobb

i think you need a lesson in atmospheric pressure. i don't think there's any way lower pressure would cause damage to a guitar.

if anything made his neck snap, it's some careless worker who tossed his lp into the plane when it was loading time.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
As the others say get a good hard case and pack your guitar in tight with towels if needed. If it is loose inside the case it will not last the "gentle" care of baggage handling and rattle about in the case as it is thrown on the plane and has suitcases thrown at it. The strings don't need to be lose as it will be tightly packed. You may be able to take it on as hand luggage and you may want to make sure it is insured if needed.
When you have to travel if it is a case of "you dont want to chance your good/best guitar". Have you thought of posting it in advance or what i have done is just buy a cheapy when you get there & either give it away to someone when leaving or throw it in the hold on the way back , as it is a cheapie who cares what happens to it. Just food for thought.
As for planes hurting guitars, I would think that leaving it in the boot of the car in its hardcase in summer would do it more harm than any aeroplane.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
I've brought my electric as carry on several times. Only problem I've ever had is when I had a screw driver in the little case compartment (oopsie), and they just confiscated the screwdriver and gave me the guitar.

Its just a search and they let you on.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt