I've been hearing both sides of this debate lately. The big question is what is your head rated for? I've heard recently that some mismatches can actually be desirable, though still harmful to the amp, potentially. If you are talking about an amp with both 16 and 4 ohm outputs then, most people I have heard from say there is no difference, but a select few claim to hear the differences...

If nothing else I'll call this an on-topic bump.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I have heard that 16ohm can make the speakers sound a little more pushed, but I can't say I have ever really put this to use or anything. Give it a try and relay back the results!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Yeah no real difference. The heads are a Mesa Tremoverb, Mesa mark III simul-class, and a laney TT100h. i had to adjust the bass up a good bit on the mark III which makes the gain channel sound gross, so that amp in particular doesn't agree with these speakers i guess. its really funny, the 112 mark iii combo sitting on top of the 4x12, the 112 EV speaker makes the 4x12 seem like its in another room, wayyyy louder.
Yeah the 112 is probably getting pushed a hella lot harder, but it simply being in-line with your face might make quite a difference too.

Maybe you should put the 4x12 on top of the 1x12?

O.o
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."