It's right and we should do it
70 26%
Depends on the severity of the situation
67 25%
Santa isn't real?!
86 32%
Voters: 268.
Page 1 of 3
Or to lie to make a person happy in general? The Santa thing is just an example.
Inspired by the ''At what age did you cease to believe in Santa Claus?'' thread...
Do you think it's wrong to tell a person something that is false to make them happy? Even though they will probably find later it is false? I think it's a bad thing, despite it's good intentions but what are your thoughts?

I search barred to no avail btw

Oh, and sorry to UG'ers who thought Santa was real

Quote by Spoonman69
Rap is music,far better than metal for example. id much rather hear about hoes and anal sex than dragons and supressed homosexuality.
Last edited by hugh20 at Dec 14, 2009,
Yes. I think it's dumb. Why not just say that you buy them stuff if their good.
Let them be children for God's sake.

I think it's fine as long as they aren't like 12 thinking there's a Santa. Kids find out on their own and they get over it but they had a lot of fun while they thought he was real. It's part of childhood.

EDIT:^
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
When I become a parent I'm telling my kid who bought all the ****ing presents, screw some fictional guy getting the credit.

EDIT: Unless it works conversely and I get my hypothetical child fvck all and blame it on santa...hmm it is a thinker.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
I really wished I had read about the generalisation of the topic rather than just voting souly based on Santa.

No, you shouldn't lie about anything to keep someone happy IMO.
Doesn't do kids any harm... brings a bit of magic and excitement into what otherwise is a pretty dull and depressing world right now.

All the kids in my class still believe in Santa and we have the best fun writing letters to him, and telling stories about him.

It brings joy to children, and the idea should bring joy to some adults too.
The local news outlet here has a "Santa Watch." On Christmas Eve afternoon they start showing "footage" of a horribly animated CGI "Santa" in countries that are already dark (usually in continental Europe for some reason). Then once it gets dark here he's magically like two states away. I dunno why, but that shit bothers me.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Yes. If you're telling them these things, it will only distort them as rational adults at age three.

Next thing you know they're staring over a dead bloody hooker, knife in hand with no remorse.
Last edited by Zaphikh at Dec 14, 2009,
Quote by Kumanji
Only if it's morally wrong to tell people God is real too.

ha, I don't believe in God but I guess the jury's still out on that one.
If they already believe in santa and you tell them, then you're just being a dick.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kumanji

Well, yeah. Santa could be considered a form of childhood indoctrination, and that's why i'm against it. The same with religious childhood indoctrination.

Quote by Spoonman69
Rap is music,far better than metal for example. id much rather hear about hoes and anal sex than dragons and supressed homosexuality.
Quote by SteveHouse
The local news outlet here has a "Santa Watch." On Christmas Eve afternoon they start showing "footage" of a horribly animated CGI "Santa" in countries that are already dark (usually in continental Europe for some reason). Then once it gets dark here he's magically like two states away. I dunno why, but that shit bothers me.

That is a bit far. People can make him too real.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by nalyd
Well you're a Scrooge if I've ever met one.

I'll Scrooge your mother.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Kumanji

ZING!
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
When you're a small child you believe in Santa, you get older and you stop believing in Santa, older still and you become Santa.
Quote by freedoms_stain
When you're a small child you believe in Santa, you get older and you stop believing in Santa, older still and you become Santa.

So deep

Philosoraptor?
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
it's ok for little children i think. eventually they will all find out, but Santa is more of a custom than a secret, it's about giving and sharing with the dear ones.

In the same manner, you can't actually say to a little child how he came to the world. Thats the stork story for, isn't it?
I don't think so, it was exciting and fun when I was a kid and when I finally figured it out I was old enough not to be crushed
Quote by Tempoe
Yes. I think it's dumb. Why not just say that you buy them stuff if their good.

^ this. really, why tell kids that there is a magical man that brings them presents, just to tell them that he doesn't exist later? why not just say that Christmas (holiday times) are special, blah, blah, blah and not have to sprinkle in a fake being?

same with everyday life, *cough* god *cough*

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
It's not wrong. The spirit of Christmas (aside from religious overtones) is to give and not receive. So tell your kids Santa exists and give them presents, and know that it is Santa who gets the credit and not you. Plus it's a fun part of childhood to believe in Santa.
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
O CANADA!
Quote by BladeSlinger
I'll Scrooge your mother.

Scrooge you!
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
My mum used to tell us that Santa was real, but parents had to send him money so he would give kids presents, as an explanation of why Santa would only ever bring us shite stuff. I think that's one of the things that makes he hate christmas so much nowadays.
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
yes it is, let them work it out themselves
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Quote by magnus_maximus
Santa's like Jesus to Children, giving them an incentive to act good and proper around Christmas. The reward is Presents (Heaven), the punishment is no presents (Hell). For some reason, though, people grow out of Santa but not Jesus.

In other words, it's wrong.
It's healthy to have disappointments such as these in your life, I think.

That's one big thing I don't like about modern society; the way people feel the need to eliminate all disappointment from kid's lives. Everyone's so worried about every kid staying happy all the time, that they don't realise that will create an irrational belief in their head that they will always be this happy, and that nothing can go wrong.

Just my two cents.

Not the most complete of thoughts, but I just woke up.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Of course it's not wrong, it makes kids happy. You cynics can't even imagine the kind of joy they feel anymore. And telling them he's not real doesn't hurt the kid, you're supposed to tell them when they are mature enough to handle it. If they aren't mature enough, that's a different problem unrelated to santa.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
I love all the people who think they're cool for bashing religion when it isn't even part of the subject. This about Santa, not God.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
It's a better way of making kids happy then touching them in their special place.
Quote by BladeSlinger
I love all the people who think they're cool for bashing religion when it isn't even part of the subject. This about Santa, not God.

You tell that to Jazmine DuBois...

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Ah christmas the holiday built on lies. Parents tell their kids about santa. Priests and others tell everyone that its Jesus' birthday when the date was probably chosen to correspond with the Roman winter solstice festival. Why is that ok?
Honeybiscuit is here.
Quote by honeybiscuit
Ah christmas the holiday built on lies. Parents tell their kids about santa. Priests and others tell everyone that its Jesus' birthday when the date was probably chosen to correspond with the Roman winter solstice festival. Why is that ok?

Because Christmas is awesome.
Quote by honeybiscuit

Well we all die so let's just shoot ourselves and get it over with before we languish in old age. You're such a negative Nancy.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
No, it's not wrong. It provides a sense of wonder and excitement for them around the holidays and I know my own childhood would have been poorer without it.
As for lying to them, good. It teaches them that adults will lie to them about stuff. Most kids come to the realisation by themselves.
I'd imagine the internet makes it pretty hard to keep the secret anymore...
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Page 1 of 3