heya guys

I was wondering what you use the middle pickup for??? im upgrading my old strat copy to H/S/H and i want to know if its worth it actually upgrading the middle single coil.

thanks alot
Hey... Hey guys.... Watch This!
I say leave it alone unless you find use of it. My friend got a Ibanez HSH because of it's "Versatility" and I've never seen the guitar on neck or middle, always bridge....
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Typically with a Strat it's only often used in conjunction with the neck or bridge pickup for out of phase, "sweeter" tones. Hendrix and David Gilmour have both used only the middle pickup for certain songs or parts of songs...Eric Clapton recently uses his middle pickup quite a bit. It's really a unique sound that at first seems strange but is really versatile. It lacks the sweetness of the neck pickup and the bite of the bridge pickup, but is a nice medium sound.
Doomsday Arsenal - alternative/progressive
Fender '08 Am Std Strat w/ CS69s > MXR Classic 108 Fuzz > JH-1B Wah > MXR Dyna Comp > EHX Big Muff Pi > Maxon OD9 > MXR Phase 90 > Ibanez CS9 > MXR Carbon Copy > Boss TU-2 > Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
I had my strat HSH for a while and while I admit I rarely used the middle pickup, I would occasionally flip to it. I mean, I rarely use it on my strat right now and its SSS. I wouldn't upgrade it unless you thought you would use it.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
try playing a few HSH guitars and see what you think..

on my strat (SSS), I use it fairly often. but I know people who have HSH guitars and rarely use the middle
it's personal preference, mostly..
just try a few different guitars out and see what happens
I never really thought about it before, but I really don't use just the middle pickup very often at all in my strat (SSS). I normally have it paired with the bridge or neck.
Check out my punk band!!! Lizard on the Window We found a drummer and are now recording.

White Version FC: 4083 9268 4644
White 2 FC: 5372 8215 3622
3DS FC: 1676 4085 1677
thanks guys, ill probably go for 2 humbuckers instead, also if its not too much trouble do metal pickup covers effect tone at all??? i though it was a nooby enough Q not to warrant a new thread cheers
Quote by imperialfury
thanks guys, ill probably go for 2 humbuckers instead, also if its not too much trouble do metal pickup covers effect tone at all??? i though it was a nooby enough Q not to warrant a new thread cheers

Apparantly they do.

also, I find with HSH that i use the middle pickup only with the bridge humbucker (split) for a lovely clean sound. It seems to replace the emptiness of the split humbucker but retain the good parts of the tone (if that makes sense to anyone but me I'll be amazed)
How do they alter the sound? is it in a cool way or does it just ruin the sound?