I recently bought a guitar (Shine WP160) and a bass amp (Peavey Bass Combo Mk III (I'm primarily a bass player)).

If I used the guitar through my bass amp would it damage it at all?

Just wondering as I can't really afford to but a guitar amp, and want to know if it is okay to plug my guitar into my bass amp before I go and do it (and risk breaking the amp).
No it wont damage it but it might not sound very good
Gear:

Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Thinline
Galveston clear 5-string
Vox AD30VT
Orange Crush 35B
Your amp should be fine. Both my dad and I have played our guitars through his 100W Crate bass amp numerous times over the years and it's still going strong.
Quote by Kikuta
Sell your Valvestate to brainless 17 year old for mighty sums of dollars. Purchase a JMP for a pittance from a desperate seller. Masturbate to pictures of yourself and your new, real Marshall. Eternal glory awaits.

Cheers for the fast replies...

And Awesome
Next investment: Tube overdrive pedal
Hells yes. I actually like the tone of a guitar through bass amp. It warms me to sleep
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
it is fine to do it this way, but not to plug a bass into a GUITAR amp. that's what i've been told...
MY GEAR!

Indiana IE1-TSB Electric
Kay K-592 Acousitc
Washburn XS-2 Bass
Peavey VYPYR30 with Sanpera I footswitch
Jay Turser Acoustic Electric
Paul Reed Smith (PRS) Custom SE 24 Black Cherry

www.myspace.com/12goodomens
Quote by lildude_6859
but not to plug a bass into a GUITAR amp. that's what i've been told...

Yeah I've heard that. I've also heard it's okay to use a bass through a guitar amp if it's solid state, but not if it's a tube.... Not sure about how true this is though, and i wouldn't tell anyone to try it to find out.
Quote by el_shorty
Yeah I've heard that. I've also heard it's okay to use a bass through a guitar amp if it's solid state, but not if it's a tube.... Not sure about how true this is though, and i wouldn't tell anyone to try it to find out.
Actually, I think the main reason that's generally a bad idea is because guitar speakers aren't build for frequencies that low. It's harder on the speakers than the amp itself.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Quote by Ferrets!
Actually, I think the main reason that's generally a bad idea is because guitar speakers aren't build for frequencies that low. It's harder on the speakers than the amp itself.

ahh fair enough. Learn something new every day
Quote by Ferrets!

Ya its fine for the amp, its only the speakers that can't handle the lows.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Josh Homme used ampeg SVTs in his Kyuss days. They typically had 8 x 10 speakers, so could still kick out a wee bit of treble. Using a 15 speaker would be pushing it maybe.
Am I bassist that plays guitar, or a guitarist that plays bass? A guitar in a bass amp, a bass in a guitar amp?
Quote by XtwoheadedboyX
No it wont damage it but it might not sound very good

You couldn't be any more wrong.
Quote by Magic Meat
Josh Homme used ampeg SVTs in his Kyuss days. They typically had 8 x 10 speakers, so could still kick out a wee bit of treble. Using a 15 speaker would be pushing it maybe.

Also not necessarily true. My 1x15" bass combo is one of the brightest amps that I've heard (it still has tons of low end though). It's brighter than any Fender amp that I've tried. It all depends on the design of the actual amp.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Ferrets!

Exactly right. I know a lot of bassist (Robert DeLeo, Chris Squire, Lou Barlow) who plug into guitar amps and have no difficulty with the setup. DeLeo's famous for using a Marshall Plexi and a Fender Bassman to record. All you need is a cab that can handle such low frequencies (best case scenario, you use a bass cab), but keyboard cabs and certain guitar cabs with 10 in and 15 in speakers work wonders.