I dunno whether to practice one or two techniques a day for the whole day or practice as many as I can in one day with like a half an hour spent on each one or something similar to that. Any tips?
"Don't piss in my ear and tell me it's raining" - Wrex
Is that Avril Lavighn in your avatar?
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
I guess part of that depends on where you're at as a player. I would say spend some time on many techniques. Play for an hour or so, then put the guitar down for 15 or 20 minutes. Then pick it up again and try a new exercise or technique.
I tend to change it up so my practice time doesn't get boring. Some weeks I will hit pretty much everything every day. If I notice that I am struggling with a few particular things, I will woodshed just those things for a week or so.

What kind of stuff are you practicing? Maybe you can give me some new things to add to my routine.
Quote by tenfold
lol it's Alexi Laiho.

What he said and thanks for the comments
"Don't piss in my ear and tell me it's raining" - Wrex
Just so long as you regularly practice all your planned techniques there shouldn't be a problem.

Leaving a technique unpractised for a week for example is not how you should do it.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
I picked up a practice technique from Rusty Cooley, I'll practice what ever it is for about 5 mins. Scales, song parts, whatever. It helps give structrue to your practice and allows you to focus on specific technique without getting sloppy.
In the Valley of Vung
Quote by tenfold
lol it's Alexi Laiho.

It's a mistake anyone could make

Personally, I'd try practicing songs with appropriate backing (track, drum machine, the album etc.) moreso than techniques. When you hit a part of the song you can't play spot on, then stop and work on that as a technique exercise.

Technique serves music, not the other way around.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
This first tip is simple yet so often ignored. The very first thing that you should do every single time you pick up your bass guitar is tune it. The quickest and easiest way to do this is with an electric bass tuner.

Warm up

Once you have tuned your bass the next step is to warm up. This will help to get your hands ready to play properly. Warming up can help you to avoid hand injuries and pains from playing. It also gives your fingers chances to stretch and get use to playing again before you jump into the main part of your playing or practise.

Learn the notes of the bass fretboard

Learning the notes of the bass fretboard is something you should spend a few minutes each day doing. So few players, even bassists who have been playing for years still don’t know the notes of their bass. So make sure how take the time to learn it.

Learning Songs

It’s a good idea to pick an easy song and starting learning it even if you’re a total beginner. Just start with something simple and break it down into small pieces. Sometimes beginner bass players put off learning songs until later and focus on bass chords, scales and theory. I recommend that one you have the basic bass

====================
geo parts
Laboratory Water Purification
Quote by PrideDemon
I dunno whether to practice one or two techniques a day for the whole day or practice as many as I can in one day .......

Don't just do one or two a day. Especially if you have that much time to practice. Firstly, you'll get bored... Secondly, its just not efficient (bad use of time). Have a lot to do. That way you will pay more attention to everything when you realize you cant spend the whole day on it.
I prefer to practice at least a little of everything every day but then concentrate on one or two of them properly.
That way each technique gets some real work done on it each week/fortnight but nothing slips behind.
404: Sig not found.
1. Tune your bass guitar

This first tip is simple yet so often ignored. The very first thing that you should do every single time you pick up your bass guitar is tune it. The quickest and easiest way to do this is with an electric bass tuner.

2. Warm up

Once you have tuned your bass the next step is to warm up. This will help to get your hands ready to play properly. Warming up can help you to avoid hand injuries and pains from playing. It also gives your fingers chances to stretch and get use to playing again before you jump into the main part of your playing or practise.

3. Learn the notes of the bass fretboard

Learning the notes of the bass fretboard is something you should spend a few minutes each day doing. So few players, even bassists who have been playing for years still don’t know the notes of their bass. So make sure how take the time to learn it.

4. Learning Songs

It’s a good idea to pick an easy song and starting learning it even if you’re a total beginner. Just start with something simple and break it down into small pieces. Sometimes beginner bass players put off learning songs until later and focus on bass chords, scales and theory. I recommend that one you have the basic bass technique of plucking and fretting notes you are ready to begin your first song.

5. Have a bass schedule

Having a bass practise schedule is the one thing that turned my bass playing around. Once I had a solid plan of what to do each day my bass playing improved drastically. If you currently pick up your bass and just play about on it, it’s properly the reason you’re not seeing the progress you’d like to. Having a bass schedule is some of the best bass guitar advice I can give you.

I hope you have found this bass guitar advice useful. I think if you put all 5 of these tips into practise and do them you will see much better results. Before you know it you’re be playing in a band, jamming with friends and becoming a great bass player.