so the major or ionian scale is 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 speaking intervals.

so the other scales would be what, whne put into intervals

I know one is like 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 7 but forget what it is named.

anyway if anyone could give me a quick list id greatly appreciate it

BTW im just talking about the basic 6 or 7 scale modes, not any of the other special ones, though if you want to list those too I would be full of gratitude
Last edited by CarnivalBeam at Dec 14, 2009,
Quote by CarnivalBeam

Harmonic minor.
I got a tab book:
Natural Minor
1 2 3b 4 5 6b 7b

Minor pentatonic:
1 3b 4 5 7b

Blues
1 3b 4 5b 5 7
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Don't worry about modes until you have a really good grasp on the Major, Minor, and Pentatonics.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Quote by RockGuitar92
Don't worry about modes until you have a really good grasp on the Major, Minor, and Pentatonics.
+1

Because modes are derived from the major scale - once you really understand the major scale, including how the natural minor is related to it and how to harmonise it by stacking thirds, then modes will be relatively simple to learn. Until then they will be a pig - it would be a bit like trying to learn calculus before you could count to ten.
Quote by CarnivalBeam
so the major or ionian scale is 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 speaking intervals.

so the other scales would be what, whne put into intervals

anyway if anyone could give me a quick list id greatly appreciate it

BTW im just talking about the basic 6 or 7 scale modes, not any of the other special ones, though if you want to list those too I would be full of gratitude
\

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8(1) ion

1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7 8 dor

1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 8 phr

1 2 3 #4 5 6 7 8 lyd

1 2 3 4 5 6 b7 8 mix

1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 8 aeo

1 b2 b3 4 b5 b6 b7 8 loc
actually i feel like i do have a good grasp on the major and minor scales. The thing is I lost my music book where i ekpt all my handwritten notes and information on music in. Im no theory buff but have a template like view of the fretboard for any major key. Using this template playing from Major A to a modal A is only a slight shift to my template by changing the 3s to b3s and 7s to b7s for dorian (thanks to the above poster) And theres really nothing more to it then that me thinks. so thanks for the list there sean i appreciate it.
Quote by CarnivalBeam
actually i feel like i do have a good grasp on the major and minor scales. The thing is I lost my music book where i ekpt all my handwritten notes and information on music in. Im no theory buff but have a template like view of the fretboard for any major key. Using this template playing from Major A to a modal A is only a slight shift to my template by changing the 3s to b3s and 7s to b7s for dorian (thanks to the above poster) And theres really nothing more to it then that me thinks. so thanks for the list there sean i appreciate it.

As playing modally goes, there is more to it. Check the mode sticky if you understand ,at least, the major scale, intervals and chord construction. If you are just looking for the scale construction, then yeah, nothing much else to it.