Hey have you got any tips for making like a 4 finger pull off type thing like :

9p8p7p6

I can never make them ring out as much as when doing 3 finger pull offs or lower.

I know about the pulling the string down sort of as you come off but it still doesnt sound clear.

Any tips?
Quote by Venice King
Snatch is such a crude term - Use a better one like axe-wound or cave-opening.

Gear:
Ibanez ART300
Roland Cube 20X

I make trip-hop
https://soundcloud.com/chris-thomas-214
^ Check it out
That is only a 3 finger pull off. 9p8p7p6p0 would be 4 finger.

Anyways, all I can really say is practice it slowly over and over. There's no trick to it. Just get the muscle memory.
Check out my band Disturbed
i usually would like. pull of the first 2 pulls, then slide my finger down the last one. *shrug*
sounds a teeny bit different, but its hella easier.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Quote by entity0009
Animal Cracker

I'm pretty sure it's a type of noodle.
Honestly, it's not that useful a figure since no scale will have all 4 of those notes in it.

But if you're practicing it for practice sake, well, then I guess just practice more
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Quote by Even Bigger D
Honestly, it's not that useful a figure since no scale will have all 4 of those notes in it.

But if you're practicing it for practice sake, well, then I guess just practice more

Uh...the chromatic scale
Quote by StewieSwan
Uh...the chromatic scale

OK. I guess I should have expected that.

Rephrased: no scale that is used for constructing melodies will contain all 4 of those notes. meaning, you'll never have reason to play that line as anything other than an exercise.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

Quote by Even Bigger D

Rephrased: no scale that is used for constructing melodies will contain all 4 of those notes. meaning, you'll never have reason to play that line as anything other than an exercise.

So Chromatic scales can't be used for melodies now huh?
Quote by Even Bigger D

Ever heard Flight of the Bumblebee? Or that generic circus music? Not trying to pick on you, but don't be telling him things that aren't true.
I know what youre saying TS, this kind of thing, or even something like 17p16p15p13.

The problem is the pinky and ring finger always wanna pull off together, hard to get it to sound good. I do a lot of trills with my pinky and ring finger to try to build independence.
Quote by StewieSwan
Ever heard Flight of the Bumblebee? Or that generic circus music? Not trying to pick on you, but don't be telling him things that aren't true.

Oh, I'm well aware of what music is out there. Flight of the bumblebee in intentionally non-melodic. That's sort of the point of it - no harmony, no melody, just notes trying to emulate an animal sound. It does contain runs of 4 consecutive notes, but they're not legato (still leaving this exercise completely useless). I guess you could make it legato, but then it would sound like a really tranquil bee.

As far as "circus music" goes, you would have to say precisely what circus music you're talking about. I can't recall every hearing any containing such a legato run, but then again I don't know for sure what you're talking about.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

Last edited by Even Bigger D at Dec 15, 2009,
Quote by Metallica rulz
So Chromatic scales can't be used for melodies now huh?

While you're trying to be sarcastic, you're in fact accidentally right, or at least sort of. Melodies are in reality constructed from less dense scales, because those scales when harmonized produce useful harmony. The same can't be said of the chromatic scale.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

keep all four of your fingers pressed down on each fret, then just release one finger at a time
Threadstarter, your basic problem is that some of your fingers are weaker and some are stronger and you need to be able to keep consistent volume between them all.

Melodies are in reality constructed from less dense scales, because those scales when harmonized produce useful harmony

Bear in mind that playing "out" is a fairly common device too - not to mention there's definitely scales that contain good numbers of consecutive half steps and lead to lovely melodies in the right hands. Check out Mattias IA Eklundh and Shawn Lane's work with Jonas Hellborg.

Here's a wonderful example solo that uses plenty of chromaticism.

http://www.licklibrary.com/Article.aspx?Article=95/tOzKNThg%3D