Okay, I'm in the market for a new guitar and my friends recommended a Ibanez, and I wasn't sure which one to get!

I'm looking in the mid-price range, mostly for metal playing too.
what is the most you would pay?
would you look used?
what amp do you have?
are you prepared to look at other brands?
$900 around, I could consider used if it was worth it, I use a Line 6 Spider III and I'm prepared to look elsewhere, yes.
You might be able to get an RG Prestige used for that, but you might want to look for a new amp soon too.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
firstly get a new amp,look at a peavey valveking, peavey vypyr tube 60 or a blackheart handsome devil, they're about $400.
then spend the rest on something like one of the s series or a used rg prestiges, or you could at esp, depending on what body shape you prefer i would look at the 401 models
buy a new amp instead
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Okay, thanks for your suggestions, looks like i'm going to be buying a new amp first!
You guys always say buy new amp first? I kind of understand why, but and new guitar with better pick ups in it will sound better than a crappy guitar with crappy PU's in it...even through a Spider.

IMO......I would get a bad ass guitar first, then work on getting an amp. I mean unless you got some paying gigs or something lined up where you NEED a new amp.

If you are like a good 98.9% of people on this site, you just play for fun, therefor a new amp is not needed yet.

I have a 1200.00 guitar and I play it through a Spider at home....guess what? It sounds better than the cheap LTD I had through the same amp. Can it sound better through a better amp? yes. Do I think I would have liked my tone with the LTD through a "good" amp? No, probably not. A crap guitar with crap PU's is still gonna sound like a crap guitar with crap PU's no matter what amp you play through.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
I never really understood UG's compulsion to automatically suggest a new amp. If the dude's just playing at home then the Spider is all he really needs. It covers all the bases tonally; even if it does so quite poorly. If he's playing on some rubbish guitar though, having something nice to wrap his mits around would be great.

I dunno, the amp just sits there and makes noise. If it suits your purpose then why sink money into a new one? The guitar is something you have to have close to you. You need to have confidence in it and you need to be comfortable playing it.

As for Ibanez, $900 you say? I'd suggest keeping an eye on the classifieds and trying to pick up an older RG or S. For the most part they'll cost half of what you're willing to spend while not sacrificing on quality.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Agreed about waiting on an amp, I would buy a nice guitar and then save and buy a nice amp in 6 months to a year or whatever.

$900 can buy a nice guitar, but like stated above we need more info about what you want to narrow it down.
Quote by srob7001
You guys always say buy new amp first? I kind of understand why, but and new guitar with better pick ups in it will sound better than a crappy guitar with crappy PU's in it...even through a Spider.

IMO......I would get a bad ass guitar first, then work on getting an amp. I mean unless you got some paying gigs or something lined up where you NEED a new amp.

If you are like a good 98.9% of people on this site, you just play for fun, therefor a new amp is not needed yet.

I have a 1200.00 guitar and I play it through a Spider at home....guess what? It sounds better than the cheap LTD I had through the same amp. Can it sound better through a better amp? yes. Do I think I would have liked my tone with the LTD through a "good" amp? No, probably not. A crap guitar with crap PU's is still gonna sound like a crap guitar with crap PU's no matter what amp you play through.

This

I recommend looking into the Prestiges now. There's the RG1570 which Ibanez is offering a $100 rebate for. So it'll be $900 after the rebate. For $1000, you could get a RG1550M. For $1025, you can get a FR1620. I hear that Ibanez isn't going to use the Edge Pro anymore so all of the Prestiges will have the Edge Zero. That will probably bring the price up a little. But they're also releasing RGs with a Tight End Bridge (fixed) this year. Some of the Edge Pro models may go on clearance but don't I wouldn't take the risk. You picked a tough time to look for an Ibanez. It's pretty much a coin-toss. You can get lucky or get screwed.

You can also look for older Japanese RGs and Ss too
Agreed with the suggesting amp thingy. Its not always just about the tone increase you get from buying gear, there are lots of other factors.

Yes my crappy BC Rich warlock through my ENGL Savage half stack does sound better than my beloved ibby through my cube, but do i enjoy playing the BC Rich? NO!

You have to consider the playability of the instrument and how it will help a guitarist improve also, and then theres that wow factor when you get a new guitar.

Also remember the guitar is the primary object that you are conveying your music through, your guitar is like an extension of your body almost, this piece of wood you are going to spend hours close too, your hands are going to get to know every little inch of this instrument, and its picking it up thats going to put a smile on your face.

Your amp is just what you stick your cable in

Im not saying that the bone crunchingly amazing tone you get from nice amps doesnt bring a smile either, it does. But a new guitar is always amazing, and guess what, i never use my ENGL at home anymore, only rehearsals and gigs, at home i play through a little cube, but picking up my ibby still makes me smile every time despite what its plugged into.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works