Hi guys,

So I've recently started playing live with my band, and so I've become a bit more conscientious about my tone. I use a Line6 PodX3 Live to satisfy all of my modulation/delay/distortion needs, and it has worked very well so far. However, I've noticed the tone on my guitar, coming out of my full tube Peavey XXX, is less than satisfactory; it sounds too digital.

Anyways, I've heard that at least a lot of bass players use an analog compressor in front of the pedal so the signal going to the pedal is compressed. I was wondering what the benefits of this are... will I get a more righteous tone, assuming I can configure the compressor and Line6 properly? Will I get less clipping from too much distortion coming from my head's ultra channel, or is that something I should fix elsewhere (i.e. turn down dist on the head, mess with the PODx3's noisegate, etc.)?

TL;DR? Tell me the benefits of having a compressor pre-multi-fx pedal if you have done this before. I'd really like to know if it's something I want to ask for for Christmas, and if it would help my tone, I'd definitely want to. Thanks Guys
Washburn WI66 Pro E Celtic Cross (1 of 48!)
Washburn WI66 Pro Honeyburst
Takamine EG334SC Acoustic-Electric
Peavey XXX 120W All Tube Half Stack
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
Vox Snakecharmer Compressor
Digitech XP100 Whammy Wah
You've got a Peavey XXX and you use the pod for distortion?

Try your rig without the Pod, imo the pod does digitalise tone quite a lot and its quite unpleasant to my ears at times.
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
Chikao, Thanks for your post. To answer your question, no, I often don't use the Pod for my distortion; I feed the distorted signal from my amp into the multi fx pedals and turn the amp/cab models off. That way, I just have to dial in the bypass volume and I'm set with my rocking awesome distortion that comes from both channels on my head. However, I do use most of the modulation effects: synth leads, octavers, harmonizers, chorus, delay, etc. So I would rather find some way to make it work (like with a compressor) so that I don't have to sell my Pod and instead invest in like 8 different pedals and the time to make a box.

Thanks again
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
I know bumping in this forum is pretty frowned upon, but I'm sorry; I really need an answer here to determine if I even need to buy a compressor or not! Also, something came to my mind regarding the initial post. I'd heard that if you put the compressor in front of the multi-FX it helped, but I was thinking--doesn't it make more sense to have it AFTER the multi-FX? Please someone, elaborate, since I'm clearly confused.
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2