Page 1 of 2
Well, I'm not completely sure about whats going on, because I've been left out of this thing for a good while (for obvious reasons), but this is whats going on.

Apparently, my band's second guitarist and drummer went out shopping for an amp head to use with this cab they've been building. Now, what they were looking for was "the loudest amp for the cheapest money." And they meant it. They went to Guitar Center, looking for a 100 watt amp for under $200 bucks. And as luck would have it, they found what they were looking for: a used 100 watt Raven amp head for $180 =/.

Now, I've personally dealt with Raven amps, and was displeased with the tone. When i told them this, the drummer instantly snapped back, "That's why we didn't bring you with us." I know I can't speak for the other guitarist, but when asked if he tried it out, to see if he likes it, he stated that he didn't, he just wanted it because it has 100 watts -_-. Honestly, he doesn't need a new amp, he plays through an Ampeg SS-70c, and that itself is pretty loud, and IMO sounds better than the Raven. I personally think he should save up a little bit more, but thats just me =\. Anybody agree, and if so, suggest something please? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: oh yeah, we play a mix between Stoner/Doom metal and Thrash metal
Last edited by Fullmetal_tmd at Dec 14, 2009,
Who cares. you didn't buy it. Let's hear some Electric Wizard
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Showing him this thread won't change his mind. Just stop. Your friend has no ear for tone... That's about all you can say. Unfortunately you're in a band with him so you have to put up with it, but we get threads like this all the time and it never ends with 'he admitted I was right because I showed him this thread.'
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
let him buy what he wants to? my bandmate plays a marshall mg, i don't give him sh*t.
yeah, i know showing him this thread wouldn't change anything, but that wasn't my intention. I forgot to mention that we have a jar, that we place money into to save up for stuff the band wants (not my idea either). We've saved up the 200 buck, and 90 bucks of it is/was mine. Plus, we all agreed that we all would have a say in what we buy for the jam space. I'm the only one against the Raven, and he's still willing to consider other options. The drummer's the only one dead set on the Raven, but he plays drums for a reason. I'm just trying to come up with some other options that would be a better use of our money =/. And like I said, I want to save up more before spending anything on amps, since $200 has very little options.
Last edited by Fullmetal_tmd at Dec 14, 2009,
For 200$ your best bet would be a used Peavey Classic or Windsor head I guess.

But yeah, better you save up more money if it's possible. Your bandmates don't seem to understand that wattage is what you need most, it's tone.

A 20W tube amp or about 50W solid state is enough for playing in a band and gigging.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
At least you will sound Better than mr dimebag and his monsturous 100 watt bird of an amp.... Lol every time he starts playing I would just starting waving my arms like a bird then tell him that you were trying to get his attention cuz the amp was so loud...or you could burn it like jimi!!!
Schecter C-1 classic
Fender Blues Junior

EHX metal muff
Digitech Hardwire delay
Rockband mic (gotta record some how)

new guitar: $282/$500
Quote by tubetime86
Showing him this thread won't change his mind. Just stop. Your friend has no ear for tone... That's about all you can say. Unfortunately you're in a band with him so you have to put up with it, but we get threads like this all the time and it never ends with 'he admitted I was right because I showed him this thread.'

110% correct. Nothing useful comes of these threads.
My 2nd guitarist uses some awful gear and has little ear for tone. Best you can do is try and work around it

I just tend to turn myself up and let rip in hopes of drowning out the 100W MG.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

The only way you can resolve this, is to quest to make your tone as epic as possible....that way, your other bandmates can't deny that you sound WAY better and will upgrade accordingly. Has worked for me MANY times
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
The amp is just a bloody amp. Just set it to clean and let the pedals do the work what's the big deal? He wanted volume. He can get the tone he wants from the pedals he selected.

As long as it has a clean channel you can always add a pedal or a tube based pedal in front of it. Tone need not come from the amp alone, can be from other places.
dude im pretty sure he's just buying it for shits and gigs just to say he has 100 watts. whats the problem? they obviously went out to find one as cheap as possible just for the hell of it. chill out, you didn't buy it and you don't have to play it
this thread it fvckin dumb. fvck your bandmate's hideous tone, and besides that, why should any of us give a sh!t?
Quote by GrisKy
this thread it fvckin dumb. fvck your bandmate's hideous tone, and besides that, why should any of us give a sh!t?
lol, I agree!

Really, the drummer should have absolutely no say in the matter, if it was for a splash then maybe.

I think everyone should fund their own gear, unless its for a PA or mixer or something. In the case of a breakup you can simply have whoever wants it, can buy everyone elses share.

The SS series is awesome, if anything he should be thinking of getting more speakers or a power amp.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by Fullmetal_tmd
yeah, i know showing him this thread wouldn't change anything, but that wasn't my intention. I forgot to mention that we have a jar, that we place money into to save up for stuff the band wants (not my idea either). We've saved up the 200 buck, and 90 bucks of it is/was mine. Plus, we all agreed that we all would have a say in what we buy for the jam space. I'm the only one against the Raven, and he's still willing to consider other options. The drummer's the only one dead set on the Raven, but he plays drums for a reason. I'm just trying to come up with some other options that would be a better use of our money =/. And like I said, I want to save up more before spending anything on amps, since $200 has very little options.

Well that was a bad idea, no offense. IMO, band funds hardly ever work. Everyone should get their fair share and if people want to combine to purchase shit, they can do it themselves. They democratically voted to buy that Raven amp. They all wanted to buy it and you didn't. If you don't like that, then you should leave.

Honestly though, I would leave. Sounds like a bunch of tone deaf teens in a garage.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Quote by sfx
The amp is just a bloody amp. Just set it to clean and let the pedals do the work what's the big deal? He wanted volume. He can get the tone he wants from the pedals he selected.

As long as it has a clean channel you can always add a pedal or a tube based pedal in front of it. Tone need not come from the amp alone, can be from other places.

A power amp would be a better choice than a crappy amp if he was to just get his tone from his pedalboard. I saw someone on another forum who ran his rig with just a 4x12, a power amp, and his pedalboard until he got a good amp.
Quote by Alex Vik
A power amp would be a better choice than a crappy amp if he was to just get his tone from his pedalboard. I saw someone on another forum who ran his rig with just a 4x12, a power amp, and his pedalboard until he got a good amp.

His friend bought a used amp, and it definitely has a power amp too.

If it has a clean channel or effects loop (which 100 watt doesn't have?) he could use purely the power amp section of the amp.

Besides, if it costs less than buying an actual power amp then so be it.
first off, id like to say i dont really have any sympathy for the ts because he actually puts his money in control of people like that, BUT...

all of you saying "well you didnt buy it" did you read his posts? he said its from a band fund. a BAND fund. and the BAND did not select what was to be bought or decide anything needed to be bought at all.

your band mates are dumb and you should find a way to prove his ampeg is loud enough and bring the amp back.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Only thing I'd be concerned with is that it ain't loud enough, honestly.

You can get nasty sounds out of that thing. Just turn the bass and mids up, and turn the treble all the way down. It'll sound like a bad fuzz box.
Quote by Fiddelers elbow
I'd leave the band.

^^^THIS^^^

If your going to donate into the band fund and not have a say in what is being bought, especially when you have donated 45%, you are not part of the band. I would be soooo angry and probably just leave.
I'd take my $ back out and tell them to fvck themselves. if your drummer made such a big deal about not bringing you along because you would've told them to not make a frivilous purchase with your money, I would've told him to put HIS money where his mouth is and to pony up himself.

Your bandmates are dicks, and you're a pussy if you stand there and take it.

btw, this thread is still dumb.
Quote by sfx

Quote by sfx
His friend bought a used amp, and it definitely has a power amp too.

If it has a clean channel or effects loop (which 100 watt doesn't have?) he could use purely the power amp section of the amp.

Besides, if it costs less than buying an actual power amp then so be it.

Where the fuck was anything said about pedals? If you're gonna spew a bunch of clueless bull shit, refrain from posting. Lots of 100w amps have no FX loops and only one channel. The amp is the fundamental part of your tone. Pedals should build on that tone, not define it.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
they ain't got enuff money? you paid a share in the amp? LOL.i don't know how are you gonna survive in that band man. you'll get pissed off by the tone everytime you jam with 'em.

I Love Schecter.
Quote by gisobon
they ain't got enuff money? you paid a share in the amp? LOL.i don't know how are you gonna survive in that band man. you'll get pissed off by the tone everytime you jam with 'em.

I Love Schecter.

You know you can actually make that into your sig instead of typing it after all your posts.
I think the real mistake here is that you let a drummer get involved with a guitarist´s sound !!!!!!! They have´nt got a clue as to how amps or guitars work, send him back behind his drums so he can learn how to keep time and how not to play louder then everybody else.
Quote by sstony
I think the real mistake here is that you let a drummer get involved with a guitarist´s sound !!!!!!! They have´nt got a clue as to how amps or guitars work, send him back behind his drums so he can learn how to keep time and how not to play louder then everybody else.

God forbid should a percussionist know anything about another instrument!
I'm not very smart (Amp Thread)

Quote by consecutive e
Fixed.

+1

Putting ur money in a jar like that = Really really dumb idea.

Tell em u want to return the amp, get ur money back and ur leaving the band ... If they refuse, put a giant plumbing wrench through the ampeg head and the drummers bass drum ...

I cant believe someone would spend some dude's cash with out telling them. Your drummers a dickhead ....

Next time u buy your own shit, they buy there own shit too. u dont let other people tell u what to use and what not, or do u let people borrow ur stuff...
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Quote by Fullmetal_tmd

Here's an option; don't put $90 towards someone else's gear... I don't care what they're buying why should you subsidize? Communist. COMMUNIST.

Communist.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Well, just to clear up any confusion, they did NOT purchase the amp the day they went to guitar center. they merely spotted it, and were gonna purchase it soon.

Apparently, they went there yesterday with the money to purchase it, but, thankfully, SOMEBODY APPARENTLY BOUGHT IT BEFORE THEM!

I always knew the band fund thing was a bad idea, and it was gonna go wrong somewhere, so I'll probably take out my money before we start saving up more, and I'll probably use it to buy giant dildos to shove up their asses (after they stop eating each others' asses first)
Quote by Fullmetal_tmd
Well, just to clear up any confusion, they did NOT purchase the amp the day they went to guitar center. they merely spotted it, and were gonna purchase it soon.

Apparently, they went there yesterday with the money to purchase it, but, thankfully, SOMEBODY APPARENTLY BOUGHT IT BEFORE THEM!

I always knew the band fund thing was a bad idea, and it was gonna go wrong somewhere, so I'll probably take out my money before we start saving up more, and I'll probably use it to buy giant dildos to shove up their asses (after they stop eating each others' asses first)

Sounds good. BTW just for my own curiosity are you Barack Obama?

Edit: Actually I think this guy is Obama:

Quote by Banana Wedgie
Yes what?

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Page 1 of 2